Creating Playlists

Hello folks.  I’m new to the Sansa line of products.  I read through the user manual, and it appears that in order to make playlists I have to use Windows Media Player.  It tells me to synch the device to the computer, make the playlist, and then synch the play list back to the device.

The problem is that when I do the initial synch, it adds EVERYTHING to my device, and I do not want that.

I simply want to take files already on the device, make a playlist, and have it show up in the play list menu.  I  know there is this thing called a Go List, but I need more than one play list.

Is there ANY other way at all possible other than WMP to make these playlists?  Or is there some way to get WMP to stop adding my entire library to the device?  I dislike WMP to begin with, and try to avoid having to use it at all costs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

set your clip to usb msc mode so you can drag and drop files…in this mode it acts like another drive. google m3u maker, its free, copy the program to the clip and make the playlists when the clip is xconnected to the computer by running this little program. i find it works well.

There are numerous alternatives to WMP as it relates to playlist creation and managing. Several suggestions, procedures, and programs are posted here on the forum; use the Search function to ferret them out. :smiley:

Thank you for your help. I will try this :slight_smile:

I found the m3u maker program you recommended, and set the clip to msc mode.  I can’t find a how-to or user guide for the program though, and it is not acknowledging the files that are already on the clip. 

@daft_chic wrote:

Just curious, but if I make a playlist in, say, Winamp, it gets an .m3u extension.  If I drag and drop that file into my Playlists folder, would it work just as well?

As long as you ‘instruct’ Winamp to see your library as the files located on the player itself, and not from your computer.

Here are some step-by-steps for making playlists with Winamp.

Hi.  Thank you for trying to help me out.  When my clip is in MSC mode it shows the music folder as being empty, so I cannot access any of my mp3 files in MSC mode.

This is the same problem I had with the m3u maker program which was suggested.

I noticed in the clip’s user manual that MSC is a Mac compatibility mode, so I thought I’d throw out here that I run Windows Vista…in case that makes a difference in what’s going wrong.

Okay, so here is what I ended up doing, and it was so simple that I can’t believe I didn’t just try this to begin with.  With a huge library I would think it’s not very practical, but here goes.

I went into the device’s Music folder in the “Auto Detect” mode under USB settings, so that my music files would show up.

I  used the CTRL button to select all the songs I wanted in the play list.  Right click >> create play list.  Then I just renamed it.  It shows up in the device’s menus and everything as a .PLA file.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me with this.  I may keep working on the problem with music files not showing up, because if I added ALL of my music to the device it would be a huge pain to do it the way I did it just now.

<3

@daft_chic wrote:

Hi.  Thank you for trying to help me out.  When my clip is in MSC mode it shows the music folder as being empty, so I cannot access any of my mp3 files in MSC mode.

That’s because your files were loaded in MTP mode (or Auto Defect which is the same thing in most cases).

@daft_chic wrote:

I noticed in the clip’s user manual that MSC is a Mac compatibility mode, so I thought I’d throw out here that I run Windows Vista…in case that makes a difference in what’s going wrong.

MSC is not exclusively a Mac compatibility mode, but the only mode in which you can use a Mac with it. MSC allows your computer to see your player as any other drive, where MTP mode makes it be recognized as a musical device which must be ‘managed’, something Macs will only do with i-thingamabobs & iTunes.

For most people, MSC is the easiest and preferred connection method. MTP can be a royal pain at times.

Ah!  thank you so much for clarifying that.  There is a lot of information not in the user manual I am discovering. 

@daft_chic wrote:

Ah!  thank you so much for clarifying that.  There is a lot of information not in the user manual I am discovering. 

Yes, there’s a lot of info that could be in the manual but isn’t. If SanDisk added all that though, there wouldn’t be any need for this forum then, would there? :smileyvery-happy:

Gang -

I have a new Clip+ and am also having problems with playlist creation.

I have XP (SP 2). WMP 10 is installed on my system. My Clip+ is running in Auto Detect mode right now.

When I right-click on music files on my computer I am presented with a couple of options such as “Add to Playlist …”  If I choose that option it brings me to a WMP playlist menu.

BUT if I right-click on music already in my Clip+  (ex. Media\Music\Elvis) the only options I get are Open, Explore, Delete, Properties, etc. - nothing about playlists. I’ve seen reference to this in other places but no answers.

Ideas? Thanks.

Bob

My computer is dead, I lost my music. I bought a new computer, how do I retrieve my music from my sansa, so I can have certain songs on my new computer.

appreciate any help

Thank you

Simply connect your Clip to the new computer and drag and drop/copy and paste your music from your Clip folder(s) to your new computer.

@mlh0131 wrote:

My computer is dead, I lost my music. I bought a new computer, how do I retrieve my music from my sansa, so I can have certain songs on my new computer.

appreciate any help

Thank you

Answered to your duplicate post here.

@mlh0131 wrote:

appreciate any help

Thank you

Answered in your duplicate posting here.

Btw, this is Smiley  for this thread.

I just changed the subject line back to what it was. 

@mlh0131

Changing the subject line to something as general as “help” will only make it difficult for users in the future to find the solutions/information that they are searching for.

@tapeworm wrote:

Answered in your duplicate posting here.

As well as, answered directly above.    :wink:

Hoping someone with experience is still subscribing to this thread.  I know I marked it solved, which I thought it was, and I don’t know how to unmark it solved now. But here is the problem…

I am in the correct mode, and downloaded the m3umaker file as directed.  I put that program in the music folder on the player.  When I try to save a play list, it does not assign a file extension, it saves as “all file types”, so when I go back into the player, there is no saved play list.

I then assigned the file extenson myself, and that didn’t work either.  So I went back into the m3u maker program and saved the file into the music folder, and added the file extension at the time I saved it originally.  The list shows up now, but is empty.

I am using .m3u file extension, by the way.

Any ideas on how to get the songs to show up in the play list?  There isn’t a user manual or directions of any kind that I can find on google for how to use the m3u program.

Thanks in advance.