Completely formatted my Sansa Clip, anyway I can reinstall firmware from scratch?

I deleted some songs using a Mac but noticed they were still playable from my sansa and when I plugged it into a PC the files were nowhere to be found so I decided it would be a fine idea to format the thing and reinstall from scratch. 

I’m having quite a bit of trouble figuring out how to do this and am now starting to worry that my sheer idiocy has ruined my sansa clip for me.

I was running Rockbox when this whole affair started if that helps at all.

When plugged into a computer the screen reads ‘Bootloader USB mode’ and when unplugged it reads ‘File not found’, then ‘Plug USB cable’.

Thanks!

Formatting will not erase the bootloader-modified fimrwware that Rockbox installed. You have to manually re-install the Sandisk firmware. You can find and download a copy in the Sansa Firmware Thread.

One other point when using a Mac . . . I believe you need to empty you “Trash” (on your Mac) while the player is still connected to fully erase them from the player. I don’t use a Mac, so don’t quote me 100%, but that’s more or less what I have read.

Formatting will not erase the bootloader-modified fimrwware that Rockbox installed. You have to manually re-install the Sandisk firmware. You can find and download a copy in the Sansa Firmware Thread.

One other point when using a Mac . . . I believe you need to empty your “Trash” (on your Mac) while the player is still connected to fully erase them from the player. I don’t use a Mac, so don’t quote me 100%, but that’s more or less what I have read.

Formatting will not erase the bootloader-modified firmware from the Rockbox installation. You have to manually re-install a new copy of the Sandisk firmware. You can find and download a copy in the Sansa Firmware Thread.

One other point when using a Mac . . . I believe you need to empty your “Trash” (on your Mac) while the player is still connected to fully erase them from the player. I don’t use a Mac, so don’t quote me 100%, but that’s more or less what I have read.

Formatting will not erase the bootloader-modified firmware from the Rockbox installation. You have to manually re-install a new copy of the Sandisk firmware. You can find and download a copy in the Sansa Firmware Thread.

One other point when using a Mac . . . I believe you need to empty your “Trash” (on your Mac) while the player is still connected to fully erase them from the player. I don’t use a Mac so don’t quote me 100%, but that’s more or less what I have read.

I actually formatted it from within window explorer so I’m worried I deleted the root directory. Is that even possible?

I really have no idea. But there are no files on the sansa any more.

I imagine that will be a problem.

Not to worry, the firmware is protected behind a hidden partition. Re-apply the firmware as I suggested and you should be OK.

oh great!

it says to drag the file into the root directory? uh… how exactly do i do that?

oh right, realised i was once again being a total moron. 

sorted it all out, thank you so much!

Tapeworm I’m trying to learn how to format my sansa clip plus using android phone. I have otg cord. Initially my phone automatically recognized the usb device (the mp3) and said it needed to be formatted. While formatting i unplugged it early which the phone said not to do. Now the mp3 won’t come on at all. What should i do?

I don’t don’t why you would attempt formatting it with your phone. There is an on-board Format option in the settings on the device itself; that is the best way, should formatting become necesary.

Try plugging it into a computer & see if it is recognized. If so, format it that way and start over. Use the cable it came with.

What if the pc does not recognize it?