Clip worked fine then that's all she wrote

Hello,

I just got the clip for my girlfriend today and it was working fine, I connected it up, copied a few songs onto it and then disconnected and listened to the songs, tested the tuner and record function. I then went to hook the device back up and my computer told me that a hardware error had occurred and the device didn’t show up in My Computer like it had only 5 minutes earlier. When I plug the device in, the device locks up and I literally have to hold it’s power button for serveral seconds before it will shut off. I formatted all the music, reset all the settings from the menu and tried again, same result, hardware error or even no error message and the device locks up. I tried a computer with a completely different set of hardware and XP revision and same result. I would update but without being able to connect, I can’t update it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I had a similar problem, if it can help, here is what I did :

• Completely shutdown the Clip
  • Be sure to have the lastest Sandisk Firmware Update program installed on the computer
  • Restart WinXP (we’re never too careful)
  • Hold the center button of the Clip (to force the device starting in MSC mode) then plug the USB cable
  • Then it should be recognized by Windows, and the sansa updater will normally shows up

hope it helps !

Yes that did the trick!! Thank you!

FYI, I didn’t have to shut Windows down but youre right never hurts to be ultra careful.

Thank you very much!

I can see the device in My Computer, and when I first plug in the device is on the toolbar. I click on the toolbar icon and the “what do you want to do” window pops up but it gives me no choices and is blank. Also the updater icon is not showing when I plug in even though I just downloaded and installed the software and it worked several times before. Should I try what you suggested to Alimistar. Thanks

I guess…
To force the MSP mode seems to be a great way to get out troubles. Just hold the middle button and plug the sansa. Since it’s like you plugged an USB key for windows, it should work for almost any case.

Imself wrote:
I guess…
To force the MSP mode seems to be a great way to get out troubles. Just hold the middle button and plug the sansa. Since it’s like you plugged an USB key for windows, it should work for almost any case.

That’s “MSC” mode.  Also, you have to slide the hold/lock switch to hold, in addition to holding down the middle button when you plug in the Clip.