Clip vs. Shuffle

Since the clip is so much like the express, I wonder if it will have the same shoddy firmware the express has?  Head over to the express board to see the horror stories there.  Crippling bugs on basic functions, and 3+ months with no firmware updates.  Random playlist doesn’t work right, no auto resume after pausing and loss of power, slow ff and rev controls.  Voice record that sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks once the display screen turns off.  Oh, and the big selling point of using external SD cards to expand your memory?  Only works if you use a Sandisk brand card, and then apparently not always.  Did I mention that random play doesn’t work right? 

The express’s hardware is awesome, and would knee Apple’s Shuffle in the crotch, but the firmware is an embarassment.  The little things that make a device a pleasure to use rather than a headache are all missing.  And instead of getting better, each firmware release was worse, fixing some bugs and introducing new ones, and now there haven’t been any new releases and now way to revert to previous stable versions.

Of course, maybe the clip will work perfect and they’ll just abandon the express and its users and pretend it doesn’t exist in a few months.  That would be my luck.  But at least it was only $50.