Clip plus turns on and off

My Clip plus is a couple months old. Today I picked it up and noticed it was on, and I’d turned it off after I finished with it earlier. It was turning itself on and off, and I couldn’t get it to stop. I managed to play about 30 seconds of a song before it cut off again. I tried resetting, reloading latest firmware, removing memory card, charging fully, nothing seems to work.

I’ve seen others complain about this issue and their solutions, but frankly the solutions seem random, as in some MacGyver type solutions that may or may not be repeatable, like draining the power and crossing your fingers.

It seems tech should know about this given the number of reports about it but hasn’t pinpointed the problem. If I’m wrong about that I’ll be happy to be corrected. Any ideas?

If I can find that pesky receipt I’ll try and return it to BB and get some other player.

You definitely need to return it. Ther is no home-grown fix for this. Best Buy should have a record of your sale, especially if you used a credit card to pay for it. In fact, if you did, your credit card statement may suffice.

If you can’t get any satisfaction there, you can alwyas contact SanDisk Tech Support directly about an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization).

You might be too late for a Best Buy return (30 days, or 45 days for Rewards Zone Premier Silver members), but you could try and see what happens (especially where you’re not trying to return but just to exchange, due to a manf. defect).

SanDisk otherwise would exchange your player–receipt likely needed, to see if you’re within the warranty period (Best Buy could help you there if you can’t find it; perhaps a credit card statement could be used).  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us.

Ah, this sounds auspiciously similar to what happens when the power lead comes loose from the battery module.  If you lose the DC bus (+), upon reconnect, the Clip will turn ON, just like it does when plugged in.  It will power up randomly as power is restored.

Try and verify this, if the Clip is ON, give it a tap and see if it “winks out”.  It only takes a light tap.

Contact SanDisk Support at 1-866-SanDisk , and let them know if this is the case.  In the US, the warranty is one year, in the EU (you guys are fortunate!) it’s two years. 

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: