Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

Re: Clip plays music slowly, lower pitch.

@csp wrote:
It's a V2, but I realized that the file I did the test with was 48 kHz, not the blamed 44.1. I did a test with another (44.1) file and of course it was slow.

Out of curiosity, how slow?

I just tested my V2 Clip (8GB version) with a 1kHz test tone.  It's freq. output is 988Hz, which is 1.2% slow.  That is relatively easy to hear when listening to music that's familar to you.  The tone was mono, 128kb fixed, 44.1kHz sampled.

I tested a Creative Zen Nano 1GB that I also own with the same MP3 file.  The Creative is comparable in many ways to the Clip as far as functionality goes.  What it lacks is the nicer display, memory capacity and tag organization.  It can do things the Clip can't do, such as MP3 encoding of a WAV file on the fly.  Both have FM radios, both have ability to record from an internal mic, both have 5 band equalizers.

The Creative plays the same 1kHz tone as 1.0003kHz.  Not shabby for such a small package.  How Creative got it right and Sandisk didn't is beyond me.  Maybe it's the lack of rechargable battery in the Creative?  It runs off a single AAA battery, good for 20 hrs. of MP3 play time.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

My test merely consisted of listening to the Clip and the computer at the same time, with the same file started simultaneously, so it wasn't very elaborate, but only after a few seconds I could hear the Clip being the slower of the two. I must admit that it was very disappointing, however, I don't think I would ever have noticed the pitch bug, if I hadn't read about it here.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

csp wrote: I must admit that it was very disappointing, however, I don't think I would ever have noticed the pitch bug, if I hadn't read about it here.

So why was it very disappointing if you couldn't hear it?

Highlighted

Has anyone ever said what's going here?  Apparently the Clip needs to resample everything to 48khz and doing this on the fly it's not being accurate...the orginal Soundblaster Live had to resample at 48khz and cut the high frequency response.

This pitch issue never bothered me at I LOVE my Clips

I like the Clip+ I just bought even more.

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@csp wrote:

My test merely consisted of listening to the Clip and the computer at the same time, with the same file started simultaneously, so it wasn't very elaborate, but only after a few seconds I could hear the Clip being the slower of the two. I must admit that it was very disappointing, however, I don't think I would ever have noticed the pitch bug, if I hadn't read about it here.

My test was with electronics lab equipment, including for measurment a Tek DPO7104 1GHz oscilloscope.  I'm confident in the measurements I took.  It just verified what I was hearing all along, way before I ever found this forum.

Highlighted

tnmats,

Man, I am jealous!!  Can I borrow your Tek?  The 7104 is a nice rig, for sure.

µsansa 

Highlighted
SanDisk Senior User

@microsansa wrote:

tnmats,

Man, I am jealous!!  Can I borrow your Tek?  The 7104 is a nice rig, for sure.

µsansa 

It's my employer's electronics lab.  I use the 'scope with other nifty expensive toys to evaluate the analog/mixed signal ICs I design (power managment chips).  The 7104 is the best scope in the lab; the Tek 3104 AFGs we have are also nice pieces of gear too.  The biggest toy in the lab is an IC probe station with a 3 color laser system for making surgical cuts in metal and passivation.  Cool toy for sure and is great for impressing visitors.  When I take measurements I'm pretty sure I'm getting good results with the lab gear at my disposal.