Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Re: Clip plays music slowly, lower pitch.

I'll start by saying this issue, and Sansa's current stand on not giving the same fix that Fuze got, are a blemish on the company's reputation.

But.... other than that, the things they DID do right still make both my players preferable to the equivalent offerings from the fruit company: FM on both (just now coming to Nano), Having a display at all on the small one (still none on shuffle AFAIK), memory slot, ogg files, rockboxable (at least Sansa doesn't actively block it like Apple does).   

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@donp wrote:

I'll start by saying this issue, and Sansa's current stand on not giving the same fix that Fuze got, are a blemish on the company's reputation.

But.... other than that, the things they DID do right still make both my players preferable to the equivalent offerings from the fruit company: FM on both (just now coming to Nano), Having a display at all on the small one (still none on shuffle AFAIK), memory slot, ogg files, rockboxable (at least Sansa doesn't actively block it like Apple does).   

Preferable to the fruit? I'd agree with that. I was a Sansa defender for a long time, and never could hear the off-pitch sound with my untrained ears. But their stance on this, I morally object to. As you say, donp, they did apply a fix to the Fuze.....so why the heck not do it to at least the new Clip+?

I would not have been surprised at their abandoning the original Clip, given that I understand that's what happened with the e200 series when the Fuze was brought onto the scene. But to come out and say it will not be addressed on the brand new player? Not cool....

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk User

at least they admit they arent gonna fix/do **bleep** to the player, look at the ABI forums and the ME rep, he acts like ms is going to listen to customers and update the zune's to do what customers want.....we all know thats a flat out LIE.......it might somehow hurt the "really cool and exciting zune ecosystem experiance"

Highlighted
SanDisk User

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

... But to come out and say it will not be addressed on the brand new player? Not cool....

My interpretation of the, erm, announcement is that they knew about the speed problem and decided to stick with the hardware they have, knowing that it'll be less than perfect. Remember, playback speed isn't perfect on the Fuze even after the software update because of the hardware limitations (and aren't they built on the same chip?). Better, yes, but perfect? No. So anyway, they stuck with their Clip+ plans because changing the hardware around at that point was more expensive than losing the vocal minority of forum members (a minority of Sansa owners as well) who 1. could hear the difference, and 2. cared about the Clip-sans-plus speed issues. 

I imagine they will still address it in Clip+ firmware in the next couple of months, if it's even an issue (I haven't read through the Clip+ threads yet). There'll be other bugs to fix as well, I'm sure. It is the nature of new software.

--
She is looking at you ; So maybe you're looking too
Do you want to be her or don't you? ; Of course you do
But would she be you? /* Ladytron - Jet Age */
Highlighted

I think that Sandisk just doesn't want to do anything more with the Clip and didn't plan to since when there were plans for the Clip+.  This flatly contradicts statements by Sandisk itself here in the Clip forum in Feb. and March this year that a new firmware would be coming out for the clip "this quarter" (Sandisk's words). 

I think someone else here called this throwing the Clip customers "under the bus".  Maybe not that dramatic and I know that plans change over time, but this certainly is not honorable.  And Sandisk says that it lives by customer goodwill.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@sansaconcerns wrote:

I think that Sandisk just doesn't want to do anything more with the Clip and didn't plan to since when there were plans for the Clip+.  This flatly contradicts statements by Sandisk itself here in the Clip forum in Feb. and March this year that a new firmware would be coming out for the clip "this quarter" (Sandisk's words). 

Not exactly "SanDisk's words". Actually a former SanDisk employee.

Things change . . . and SanDisk and its customers have to change accordingly. Obviously, the suits think they know what is best for the company in its current state. History will tell whether they are right or wrong. All we can do as consumers of these products is go with our gut; if we feel we need a higher quality mp3 player than what Sandisk is willing to offer, then so be it.

Highlighted
SanDisk User

You're not gonna believe this! I finally decided to do my own pitch test and my clip is FASTER than WMP on the computer. I don't know if matters but I did the test with an audiobook mp3 file.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

@csp wrote:
You're not gonna believe this! I finally decided to do my own pitch test and my clip is FASTER than WMP on the computer. I don't know if matters but I did the test with an audiobook mp3 file.
 V1?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48208
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk User

It's a V2, but I realized that the file I did the test with was 48 kHz, not the blamed 44.1. I did a test with another (44.1) file and of course it was slow.