Clip plays music slowly, lower pitch.

Can anyone recommend a good tool for transcoding a 44100 MP3 to 48000.  I tried Foobar with no luck so far…  I also tried BeSweet but that introduced clicking.

@xylias wrote:
Is it possible that this will have been fixed for the Clip+?  If so, I might just return this player as soon as I can and wait until it comes out.

There is now a Clip+ board.

Please read the posts towards the end of this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=40

You can rip CDs at 48kHz with iTunes (will work on windows to)

You can transcode Mp3 to Mp3 with XLD on a Mac.

Happy Trails…

Wavy

Message Edited by wavydavy on 09-04-2009 02:41 PM

I just did the same thing. I only see about 2 seconds on a 4 min song. Given that it’s **bleep** hard to start off in sync, add a second for operator error.

In response to an earlier post, I’m probably older than he who mentioned age, however, I was not aware of the particular point he made about one tune or track flowing into the other. You could obtain that affect with something like mp3edit but it would be a pain and impose a limit on navigation. I can much more readily appreciate the problem for those who would play an instrument along with the recording, but for the vast majority of us the problem is academic, however, that should not be taken as an excuse not to fix the problem if it a firmware issue.

@xylias wrote:
Is it possible that this will have been fixed for the Clip+?  If so, I might just return this player as soon as I can and wait until it comes out.

As I understand the Clip+ posts, it’s much better than before, but still not as close as some would like and as with some other players.

I keep on hoping that all the firmware advances with the Clip+ will be brought to the Clip, soon.  (The Clip’s firmware has not been revised for around 6-1/2 months now.)  SanDisk has said nada on this, yet.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 09-05-2009 09:45 AM

I don’t have a MAC… and want to transcode MP3 to MP3 rather than re-rip. 

@itsmylife wrote:

I don’t have a MAC… and want to transcode MP3 to MP3 rather than re-rip. 

You’ll lose some sound quality if you do that.

The wrong speed, wrong pitch playback is unacceptable for a modern digital device.

My cheap digital watch is a hundred times more accurate.

This product is unusable by anyone who plays a musical instrument,

and wants to play along with the songs on their Clip+, for fun or to learn new songs. 

Who in there right mind wants to listen to there music played back off pitch/speed?

Why do most reviewers overlook this important quality problem?

The only way to keep manufacturers honest is to boycott willfully defective products like the Clip and Clip +.

The problem is most noticeable with any file format encoded at 44.1kHz sample rate, or a multiple of same.

@wavydavy wrote:

The wrong speed, wrong pitch playback is unacceptable for a modern digital device.

My cheap digital watch is a hundred times more accurate.

This product is unusable by anyone who plays a musical instrument,

and wants to play along with the songs on their Clip+, for fun or to learn new songs. 

Who in there right mind wants to listen to there music played back off pitch/speed?

Why do most reviewers overlook this important quality problem?

The only way to keep manufacturers honest is to boycott willfully defective products like the Clip and Clip +.

The problem is most noticeable with any file format encoded at 44.1kHz sample rate, or a multiple of same.

I am sympathetic to your cause, but as to the one question you over-sized up there…the fact remains that a lot of us ( probably including the reviewers ) simply do not hear the slight irregularity. Sure, I would like them to fix it. But you are over-estimating how many people are bothered by it. 

I am not an expert musician, in fact I doubt that I will ever be able to tell apart one note from each other, so it’s clear that I won’t be bothered if my Clip has this problem. I haven’t noticed and I’ll never will, it should be really horrible for me to notice it.

But I just can’t understand why you are spending so much time posting on this forum about your problem instead of returning the Clip at the very first moment.

I know that if I buy something and it’s broken because it distorts the sound then I would return it ASAP, I won’t be bothered to go to a forum, register and start writing posts over and over again waiting for the manufacturer to fix the problem.

@alfonsoml wrote:

I am not an expert musician, in fact I doubt that I will ever be able to tell apart one note from each other, so it’s clear that I won’t be bothered if my Clip has this problem. I haven’t noticed and I’ll never will, it should be really horrible for me to notice it.

But I just can’t understand why you are spending so much time posting on this forum about your problem instead of returning the Clip at the very first moment.

I know that if I buy something and it’s broken because it distorts the sound then I would return it ASAP, I won’t be bothered to go to a forum, register and start writing posts over and over again waiting for the manufacturer to fix the problem.

Sandisk refuses to admit there’s a problem so right now there’s no warranty fix.  And some of us (like me) didn’t realize it was a real problem until the retailer’s return period was up.

It’s very possible a musician, certainly someone who plays along might be bothered by this. There is no way I can detect it. I did verify the problem by playing the clip and computer at same time, got a 2 to 3 second difference on a 4 minute song.

Some people just go by specs. My son can drive me nuts with speakers, even claims he can hear a difference between standing and sitting. You made a good point, if this bothers people, just use something else. I happen to like the clip, but there’s lots to choose from.

Since it’s still within the time limit for returning the product to the store, I’m going to try doing that and maybe buy the Clip+ at a later date when another firmware update for it is released to address this problem.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll just hope that the next firmware update for the Clip+ is made available for the (now discontinued?) Clip.

wavydavy wrote:

< over-posted opinion snipped >

To state your dis-satisfaction is one thing, but to flood the forum with this same copy-and-pasted response 5 times in 5 different threads today is a bit much, don’t you think?

wavydavy wrote:

Stating your dis-satisfaction is one thing, but flooding the forum with this same copy-and-pasted response 5 times in 5 different threads in 1 day is a bit much, don’t you think? :angry:

@xylias wrote:

Since it’s still within the time limit for returning the product to the store, I’m going to try doing that and maybe buy the Clip+ at a later date when another firmware update for it is released to address this problem.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll just hope that the next firmware update for the Clip+ is made available for the (now discontinued?) Clip.

Exactly.

I would return it to the store, there’s no need to explain too much about it.

It doesn’t work/it doesn’t fill my needs, I’m within the time limit so give me my money back as I have better things to do. 

@tapeworm wrote:

@wavydavy wrote:

Stating your dis-satisfaction is one thing, but flooding the forum with this same copy-and-pasted response 5 times in 5 different threads in 1 day is a bit much, don’t you think? :angry:

This person’s a tool…pure and simple.  Lucky I’m not a mod here…They would be banned in 10 seconds.

Typo error above: tool = troll.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@wavydavy wrote:

This person’s a tool…pure and simple.  Lucky I’m not a mod here…They would be banned in 10 seconds.

Not a troll–just a very frustrated consumer who truly likes the Clip but would like to see it work, pitch-wise, more correctly.

_ And all the more frustrated for the lack of any response or info. from SanDisk on the topic. _

Having said that, the redundant multiple posts are tiring for the rest of us and should be discontinued.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 09-12-2009 08:20 PM

Yes, I agree, Tapeworm and Fuze_owner_GB are tools/trolls.

Clearly they have no interest in improving the product or adding anything constructive to the conversation.

All they ever seem to do is make excuses for Sansa product shortcomings, hmmmmmm…

If I was a Mod here I sure would stop there whining in a hurry and ban them from posting :smileyvery-happy:

But I’m not a Mod, I’m a Rocker, and this is what I have to say!

I want to Rock on time and in tune!!, so there…

And if you need to hear it from other Sansa users who care, check out this thread.

Because of it Sansa finally addressed the problem on the Fuze.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=11835&view=by\_date\_ascending&page=1

All it takes for badly made products to flood the market is for consumers to say nothing. 

Keep up the good work, all you other good folks helping to keep the pitch/speed problem at the top of the Clip forums :wink:.

It’s only through the efforts of people like us, that there is any chance Sansa will fix this serious design defect.

If nothing else, we can warn new or potential owners so they can return these products before it’s to late.

Keep up the good fight, never give up!