Clip or Fuze?

Hi, people… first of all, sorry for my english, I’m from Argentina.

I will buy an 8GB Sansa mp3 and I’m thinking in buying the clip or the fuze. I’m not decided yet.

I’m not very interested in videos or images, but yes in the sound quality… The clip and the fuze have the same sounds quality? Or the fuze is better? Without considering the movies and the images, have the fuze more qualities than the clip ones

Thanks for the answer…

Don’t own the Fuze, so I can’t offer a comparison of sound quality.  The Clip is superb on that count.

Here are some things to think about:

(1) No expansion slot on the Clip.  How big is your library?  Do you mind shuffling music on and off the device?  The Fuze may be better if you prefer to load music and leave it alone.

(2) You’re not interested in video (you SHOULDN’T, with a 1.9-inch screen!).  But what about album art?  How is your vision?  My feeling is get the Clip if you are OK with pushing play and putting the device in your pocket.  The Fuze makes more sense if you prefer an “interactive” device.

(3) How do you feel about accessories?  I have a silicone skin for the Clip, and that’s all I need.  I can’t say for sure, but I’d imagine there is (or will be) more things to dress up your Fuze, like armbands, carrying cases, etc.

-Matt

Other than the obvious form factor and screen differences, the players are almost indentical.  In terms of features, the Fuze is basically a Clip with a MicoSDHC slot and limited video support.

I wish I could agree that the Fuze is the Clip in a Fuze body, but as a psychologist–no really, I’m a psychologist :wink: --I think there’s something very different that comes from (1) the form factor and (2) the screen interface.  It’s as subtle as the differences in color between one Clip and another (e.g., pink vs. black).  To me, it’s what’s inside (how it performs) that matters, but apparently marketing people have convinced us that the superficial outside differences are important too.  And to some (many?) I guess they are.

Disclaimer:  I have a silver 4GB Clip, which I absolutely depend on for running.  But it’s wrapped in a clear skin, so the color is not a big issue.  BUT…I have a pair of Sennheiser earbuds in BRIGHT, BRIGHT green and absolutely HATE them (the color…sound is awesome).  So that’s one of those examples where the outside really does matter.  :angry:

-Matt

Get Both!

@sansafix wrote:
Get Both!

That’s what I did!:smileyvery-happy:

Ok… one difference I discovered is that the clip has a normal usb cable while the fuze use a specific cable, and the life of the battery. The Fuze is about 24hs and clip only 15.

@sansafix wrote:
Get Both!

I agree with this and sansamatt’s observation about why else they’re different.   You can get a smaller-capacity Clip for cheap nowadays.

Clip: the size is so great!  And you get the same great sound quality and podcast and audiobook support.  The Clip is so light that when the player falls off your grasp, it won’t fall to the floor, it just hang from your ears.

Fuze: adds video, μSD expansion (which uses more battery, so you might consider a higher-capacity Fuze).  Don’t knock the video capability, e.g., video podcasts or iTunes U courses.  If your close vision is good enough, that is.

@jj2me wrote:

If your close vision is good enough, that is.

Yikes…you’re “killing me softly”…  :cry:

-Matt

@sansamatt wrote:

I wish I could agree that the Fuze is the Clip in a Fuze body, but as a psychologist–no really, I’m a psychologist :wink: --I think there’s something very different that comes from (1) the form factor and (2) the screen interface.  It’s as subtle as the differences in color between one Clip and another (e.g., pink vs. black).  To me, it’s what’s inside (how it performs) that matters, but apparently marketing people have convinced us that the superficial outside differences are important too.  And to some (many?) I guess they are.

Disclaimer:  I have a silver 4GB Clip, which I absolutely depend on for running.  But it’s wrapped in a clear skin, so the color is not a big issue.  BUT…I have a pair of Sennheiser earbuds in BRIGHT, BRIGHT green and absolutely HATE them (the color…sound is awesome).  So that’s one of those examples where the outside really does matter.  :angry:

-Matt

So it really isn’t easy being green? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist!:wink:

If you don’t need video and only need limited storage (up to 8gb with the Clip, with no expansion possibility), the Clip is great, in a small package.  The bigger Fuze (but still in a tidy package) is available up to 8gb but with microSD expansion possible (which currently could add another 16gb; even 8gb microSDHC cards currently are available at under US$20).  The sound of both is said to be the same, as they use the same (I believe) chip for sound.

I  would think that sound and storage size would be your points of determination (maybe also considering the Fuze’s screen, even if you don’t plan on video).  Fortunately for you, the price of both really has come down in recent months.

@sansamatt wrote:

I wish I could agree that the Fuze is the Clip in a Fuze body, but as a psychologist–no really, I’m a psychologist :wink: --I think there’s something very different that comes from (1) the form factor and (2) the screen interface.

I agree.  Which is of course why I prefaced my comment with “Other than the obvious form factor and screen differences”. :smiley:

Yeah, I did stretch your words a bit.  Sorry! :wink:

-Matt

Come to think of it, I agree: get both.  The Wee Clip is the perfect stealthy device to bring your music with you, wherever that may be.

And for those times when you want to have a look at the album art, or a few funny video clips, or photos, the Fuze is the hot ticket.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: