Clip+ messes up correctly tagged albums

I’ve got a little issue with my Sansa Clip+. It can not tell the difference between some of the albums I put into its memory:

Uploading the Use Your Illusion albums by GnR ( tagged as “Use Your Illusion I” and “Use Your Illusion II” ) it always puts the songs into one folder with the result that both albums are no longer seperated but combined. It plays the first song from UYI 1, then song no.1 from UYI 2 continuing with song no.2 from each album and so on.

Same thing with german Krautrock-band “Neu”: Their first two albums are named and tagged “Neu” and “Neu 2” and it’s the same thing. I’ve even tried to rename the second album “Neu zwei” but without any effect whatsoever. The player still messes up everything.

Any suggestions how to outsmart the player? I’d appreciate any useful help.

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 07-29-2010 06:13 PM

millitaryman69 wrote:

I’ve got a little issue with my Sansa Clip+. It can not tell the difference between some of the albums I put into its memory:

Uploading the Use Your Illusion albums by GnR ( tagged as “Use Your Illusion I” and “Use Your Illusion II” ) it always puts the songs into one folder with the result that both albums are no longer seperated but combined. It plays the first song from UYI 1, then song no.1 from UYI 2 continuing with song no.2 from each album and so on.

Same thing with german Krautrock-band “Neu”: Their first two albums are named and tagged “Neu” and “Neu 2” and it’s the same thing. I’ve even tried to rename the second album “Neu zwei” but without any effect whatsoever. The player still messes up everything.

Any suggestions how to outsmart the player? I’d appreciate any useful help.

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 07-29-2010 06:13 PM

When you say “it always puts the songs into one folder with the result that both albums are no longer seperated but combined.” are you talking about the normal lists that are populated from the ID3 tags, or are you using Folder View (at the bottom of the Music menu)?

If you’re using Folder view, it should not be doing this. If however, you’re using the regular menus and lists to play your music, then you’ve got some tag-editing to do.

When you say “it always puts the songs into one folder with the result that both albums are no longer seperated but combined.” are you talking about the normal lists that are populated from the ID3 tags, or are you using Folder View (at the bottom of the Music menu)?

If you’re using Folder view, it should not be doing this. If however, you’re using the regular menus and lists to play your music, then you’ve got some tag-editing to do.

I do only use Folder view. Additionally, when I load the player, I do not put the tracks single-handedly but the complete folder in which they lie on my hd to the player. But the player then combines the two seperate folders into one single “Use your Illusion II” folder.

I tag my tracks with iTunes as I am a Mac-man. I wouldn’t know why, but could it be that this issue is some kind of iTunes-related problem?

Message Edited by millitaryman69 on 07-30-2010 07:44 AM

I know that I’ve seen this same issue reported before–it’s as if the Clip ignores the “volume number” for the album.  It’s definitely not you. 

I know that simple solutions have been reached as well.  You could try a search here (box at the upper left).  Or experiment a bit.  As I said, the solution was a simple one–it may have been replacing the volume number with the word (e.g. “Neo 1” to “Neo One” ), using parentheses around the volume number (e.g. “Neo (1)” ), preceding the volume number with a hyphen (e.g. “Neo-1” ), etc.–something simple. 

Sorry that my memory isn’t serving me better this a.m., but I bet that you’ll find a solution pretty quickly–please do post the results back.

Message Edited by Miikerman on 07-30-2010 08:24 AM

I know that I’ve seen this same issue reported before–it’s as if the Clip ignores the “volume number” for the album.  It’s definitely not you. 

I know that simple solutions have been reached as well.  You could try a search here (box at the upper left).  Or experiment a bit.  As I said, the solution was a simple one–it may have been replacing the volume number with the word (e.g. “Neo 1” to “Neo One” ), using parentheses around the volume number (e.g. “Neo (1)” ), preceding the volume number with a hyphen (e.g. “Neo-1” ), etc.–something simple. 

Sorry that my memory isn’t serving me better this a.m., but I bet that you’ll find a solution pretty quickly–please do post the results back.

From a quick search, this was one solution:  just keep your individual “sub-albums/folders” under a master folder.  In fact, this is how I generally store my multi-disc albums.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&message.id=5648&query.id=87003#M5648

There seems to be a flaw in the folder browsing on the player. When sorting, it seems to only look at the first few charachters of a name, so the best idea is to choose names that vary within the first few charachters.