Clip+ keeps freezing

I just got my son a Sansa Clip+ in January.  He uses it to listen to audiobooks, which I save as mp3 files within the audiobooks folder. 

It worked fine for several weeks, but now after it plays for awhile it just freezes without warning.  It does this pretty much every time he listens to it now.  When I reset the device, the audiobook file goes back to where the bookmark was when he started listening, so we have to fast forward to find where he left off pre-freeze. 

Here is what I have tried, to no avail:

1. I have attempted to update the firmware, but it was already the newest version. 

2. I have also checked to see that he locks the keys, in case he was bumping buttons.  He does lock it.

3. I’m also pretty sure the files are not corrupt.  They are files he’s listened to before without problems prior to the freezing issue starting up.

4. He is usually just sitting when he’s listening, so I don’t think it’s anything related to jarring movements or anything.

5. It’s completely charged.

Any suggestions for how to fix this issue?  He is very dissatisfied with this product at the moment (as am I), but since I didn’t keep the packaging (as it worked perfectly for several weeks), we can’t return it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you have copies of the files on your pc, then format the player. This will delete all the files on your player.  Are the audiobooks protected? If not, then set the usb mode on the player to MSC(settings, system settings, USB mode) if it isn’t already set to MSC. Copy the files to the player again. Run CHKDSK on the player to be sure none of the files are corrupted.

You might also want to reapply manually the latest firmware (see the firmware upgrade sticky thread at the top of the forum)–the code can become corrupt.  

These are helpful suggestions.  Thanks!  I’ll try them and see how it goes.  I’ve now done the CHKDSK…all was good, and I also changed to the MSC setting.  If that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll manually reformat.  Wish me luck!

Please don’t fret about manual reapplying the firmware, if you do that–it’s easy and fast to do, and typically issue-free (just choose the right firmware for your player–as discussed in the firmware upgrade instructions!).

OK, you convinced me.  That was easy enough.  We’ll try it out and see how it goes…  Thanks again.

Well, I’ve done all of these things, and it still freezes.  Other ideas?

OK, I have officially tried all of these suggestions, and it is still freezing.  (It’s taken a few days for him to have time to test it out.)  Other ideas, or do I need to resort to buying a different MP3 player?  Any suggestions are welcome!

I would telephone SanDisk Customer Service about this–you might need a warranty replacement (which SanDisk is good about, even covering the shipping both ways).  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us 

Sounds like I’ve run out of “home remedies.”  I’ll give them a call.  Thanks.

Your biggest issue will be, walking the SanDisk Customer Service rep. through everything you’ve tried to try to fix matters! :wink:

I’m also finding they have time zone translation issues.  After an initial call, she assured me their customer support line was open until 11 pm Central time.  I expressed surprise, as their website says it’s open until 7 pm Pacific = 9 pm Central.  I called, and the recording indeed confirmed that it is only open until 9:00 pm Central, as their website indicates.  Grr…

It’s that new math.   :wink: