Clip + duplicate files

Hi all - new here and hope you can help!

After the latest firmware update my Clip + 8Gb is displaying duplicate folders - nothing in the duplicate folders and they show as 0 bytes but the capacity of the Clip  has reduced by about 75% - I’ve tried resetting but that doesn’t seem to help - as soon as I connect to computer it creates the duplicate files

Mac or PCs?  Macs can cause issues that need to be handled …

Sorry - should have said its a PC running Vista

Have you tried reformatting from your Clip’s Settings?  That will wipe off all your content on the Clip (if you want to save anything, move it back to your computer first).

Is it possible that you have a program on your computer that is set to sync when your Clip is attached to your computer?  Such as Windows Media Player? 

Thanks - reformatting has solved the problem - much appreciated - I wonder what caused the problem?

Hopefully, it was a one-off that doesn’t recur.

Hi

I am not sure if I have the same problem or just a similar one. Using Windows 7 when I sync from WMP all seems OK but when I drag & drop I end up with a duplicate (empty) folder. This has now spread so that all folders are duplicated with an empty version in the same directory as the “real” folder.

Reformatting the system seems a drastic measure but I will give it a go while I only have a couple of albums copied across.

Also synching an album via WMP creatyed an entry in one of my Albums folders wheras dragging & dropping did not. I can play the albums whichever way I copied them over, Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks Steve

Hi again.

I can confirm that reformating the devicee has cured the problem for me too. I even repeated my dubious action of nesting folders inside each other in the same way I have my files arranged on my PC. Everything looks OK and plays properly, even without an  Albums folder.

Thanks Steve

I’ve had this problem as well.

Here’s another thing that can cause dupe files:  Different bit rate…I think that could create dupe files in anything.

@solaristar wrote:

I’ve had this problem as well.

Here’s another thing that can cause dupe files:  Different bit rate…I think that could create dupe files in anything.

This should not cause duplicate files/folders to be created. At least it never has on mine. I have some FLAC, mp3 (at various bit-rates) and even a couple WAV files on mine. There are no duplicates.

Unless of course you have 2 or more of the same file ripped at different bit-rates. As you can’t have more than one of the same file name in the same folder, it’s possible it might create another folder to house the 2nd one. But in my experience, whenever I try to transfer a file where one already exists in the target location, whether it be an audio file or any other type of file (Word .doc, Excel .xls, .pdf, etc.), I’ll get a message stating this file already exists, and asks do I want to overwrite the existing one? It also tells me the date and size of both the files so I can determine if indeed it is a duplicate or an updated one where I do want to overwrite the old version.

So I will have to keep making a backup of the drive, reformating the drive and copying back the files everytime this duplication problem happens? Is it odd or what?

@lamadremia wrote:

So I will have to keep making a backup of the drive, reformating the drive and copying back the files everytime this duplication problem happens? Is it odd or what?

Every situation/scenario is diferent. I suggest you start your own thread, detailing the problem you are having, rather than dredging up a 3 year old thread that may or may not have anything to do with your difficulty. :wink:

@lamadremia wrote:

What is your issue?  I’ve never had a “duplication” issue . . . .

Please install Duplicate Files Deleter as this is the best software available right now.