Clip+ dead and won't charge

My new Clip+ died right in the middle of a song and now won’t charge.  It doesn’t light up when I connect it to my computer, and now my computer doesn’t recognize it.  What to do?

Did you try a system reset?  Hold the on button down for 15-20 seconds.  Or it sometimes can work to leave the Clip plugged in to the power to charge overnight–it sometimes will start on up. 

Having the same problems here.  Received on the 25th…died after playing for about 3 hours on the 26th and could not get any activity when plugging into my usb port…started working again on the 27th but died again after playing for an hour with no activity after plugging into usb port.

Pressing and holding the power button for an extended period of time did seem to get it working again…press and held for about 30 sec with no activity…then press and held again and it lit up in a few seconds.

Is this something that a fair number of folks are having issues with and it will continue to be a prob or just a bad batch that got shipped out around the end of november?

Extended pressing did not help - it was still dead as a hammer.  I took it back and got a replacement.  I’m so hoping this one doesn’t have the same problem!

I ordered Clip+ 8gb on this week, hopefully it doesn’t have this problem! So would it still be better to order Clip instead of Clip+ if it has these problems?

Message Edited by Jude on 11-28-2009 03:01 AM

The Clip has its own issues …  I think, in the end, it’s a production issue for limited numbers of units (perhaps especially with lesser expensive electronics). 

Wow, this just happened to me too – it just died right in the middle of a song.

I first assumed the battery had shut it down. But when I clicked the power on, I didn’t get the usual “battery low” message, the screen just stayed black.

And when I plugged it into my PC, the screen remained black – and the PC didn’t see the Clip+ as a device.

I disconnected it and held down the power for about 30s, and then clicked the power – and this time it came back on.

So, fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen again – thought I should share the info here. 

I had the same problem. I thought it was because I hadn’t downloaded to my computer. So, I had a cell phone plug up usb charger and it works fine.

I experienced the same issue (happened after about a week after it was new… and probably 40 to 50 hours of listening)… stopped playing in the middle of a song and appeared to be dead to the world.  I held the power button down for about 30 secs, released it, and then hit the power once more… and it came back to life.  I was afraid that all my songs and audiobooks were going to be gone… but everything seems fine.   For the size of this unit and the capabilities, and especially the great audio, I’ve been really happy so far.  Hopefully this is not going to be the norm.

Just posting that this just happened to me a 2nd time – suddenly dead – and that holding the power button down for about 15 seconds, and then turning it on as usual brought it back again – this isn’t so great…

It’s happened to me twice.  It’s not the files because they play fine when I listen to them again.  The reset works so I’m not worrying about it.

What do you mean by “hold on button”? do i put it to the “HOLD” section then put it back in the middle? do i physically hold it up to the power logo?

@tyronegrizz wrote:
What do you mean by “hold on button”? do i put it to the “HOLD” section then put it back in the middle? do i physically hold it up to the power logo?

From your description of the switch, I believe you have a Clip, not a Clip+. To reset the Clip, slide the swich up and hold it there for 15-20 seconds. Putting it in the “Hold” position simply locks the controls, causing the player to ignore any button presses, at most displaying a padlock icon on the screen.

Thanks for the posting. I had the same problem, it was playing fine and suddenly stopped in the first couple seconds of a song. I hooked it up to power for a long time, figuring it had just run own the battery and I didn’t notice, although I wasn’t sure how. Ihad about given up since no button pressing seemed to bring it back, when I found this post. Holding the power button for 30+ seconds, then another press of the power button, brought it back.

Windows 7 64-bit and using Rhapsody, if that tells anyone who may be looking at this problem anything.

@jp316 wrote:
Holding the power button for 30+ seconds, then another press of the power button, brought it back.

Exactly (though I don’t think you actually have to hold it for as long as 30+ seconds).

jp316 wrote: 

Windows 7 64-bit and using Rhapsody, if that tells anyone who may be looking at this problem anything.

fwiw, I’m using Rhapsody too – it would be quite interesting to hear if this problem is more common among Clip+ Rhapsody users…

Just noticed my Clip+ wasnt charging with the USB charger I was using for my other player. The Screen would actually show ‘Connected’ - Strange. Anyway swapped out the charger for a new one and now it charges just fine, it shows the normal navigation menu now when charging.

@turnstyle wrote:

Exactly (though I don’t think you actually have to hold it for as long as 30+ seconds).

Hey, I was sick of fiddling with it. It worked for you, I wasn’t going to mess with the procedure. :slight_smile:

@turnstyle wrote:

fwiw, I’m using Rhapsody too – it would be quite interesting to hear if this problem is more common among Clip+ Rhapsody users…

That’s my thought. It did fail on a Rhapsody “rented” song. I formatted the device after I got it back on. Maybe that’ll help?