Clip battery capacity and charging with wall chargers question.

Hello,

My Q is: does anyone know what is battery capacity on Clip+ (and ClipZip and Sport, for that matter) - in mAh? Also, is it lithium -ion, or something else?

Last Q is regarding using wall chargers: currently I’m using the one with 500mA output current, and charging my clip+ takes long, and I’ve heard about someone using 2A output wall charger (from a smartphone) to charge his clip+ (and charging is much quicker than mine’s). So: is it safe to use 2A (or 1A) current output wall chargers ti charge clip+/clipzip/sport? Does using such charger (and much higher output current) shorten clip’s battery life (considerably)? Anyone with 1st hand experience using such wall chargers with clip?

thanks!

About 290 mah lithium ion as I recall.

The charge current (in mA) on a typical lithium ion battery is about half the capacity (in mah).  So your clip charges at about 150 mA.  Therefore there will be no advantage to using a higher capacity charger.  You can of course use a higher capacity charger, it just won’t make any difference.  

ok, so using standard 500mA (on output) wall charger is more then enough to charge sansa clips (+/zip/sport) at fasterst possible speeds, right? Using 1A or 2A (output current) wall chargers will NOT speed up the process? Will there be any side effects (on clip’s battery ie. life etc) to using such 1A/2A chargers instead of 500mA one?

"The charge current (in mA) on a typical lithium ion battery is about half the capacity (in mah).  "

does the same hold true for lithium polymer batteries, btw?

Saratoga, it seems like charging is much faster with Rockbox. Is this just my imagination, or is it true? I haven’t timed how long it takes to charge. 

Anyone compared _him/herself_ Clip (plus/zip/sport) charging time with various current output wall chargers: 0.5A, 1A, 2A etc?

There’s really no _measurable_ difference between them?

“it seems like charging is much faster with Rockbox. Is this just my imagination, or is it true?”

this one is also interesting, thanks for bringing it out. Hopefully someone will shed some light on it.