Clip+ & WinXP SP2 - problems with MSC mode

Yeah, there is no mistake in the title of topic - I just have bought Clip+, set MSC mode in settings, and tried connect it to my pc. And… windows detects that there is SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 2GB USB Device , but can’t find driver for it, so I have no removable devices in “my computer”, and have device-without-driver in devices management. All works fine in MTP mode, despite of I have only WMP9, default for WinXP SP2. MTP mode works well, I’ve used this mode to transfer firmvare files on device, but I prefer only to use MSC. Nothing changed after updating firmvare to 01.02.15.  Tried to connect sansa to my laptop with SP3 - and msc mode works! But what is the problem with SP2? I have no problems with WinXP SP2 and other Clip (not Clip+) MSC mode, but what is with Clip+?

*Moderators, unmark accepted solution in this post please 

Nobody has nothing to advice?

Message Edited by fludimir on 06-30-2010 08:28 AM

fludimir wrote:

*Moderators, unmark accepted solution in this post please 

You can do this yourself in the Options (top right-hand corner of the post).

When I’m trying to do this I’m getting error “Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication.”

Fixed.  As the original poster, you should find it under the drop-down Edit list, select “unmark”.

As for your Windows XP SP2 installation, definitely update your OS to SP3.  For Windows Media Player, Help > Check For Updates and upgrade to Windows Media Player 11, it’s much smoother, believe it or not.  Alternately, you can upgrade your media player via the Microsoft web site.

MTP mode is supported with Windows Media Player 10 and later.

microsansa

My WinXP already works for 4 or 5 years without any magor problem, and I don’t like to update it with SP3 and certainly get a lot of problems. Surely clip+ is not compatible with WinXP SP2? I think no, in MSC mode it might work as a removable device with any system. I tried it on another SP2 - all works fine. I want not use MTP mode at all, but currently it is the only way to tranfer music to my player. And why I have to update WMP (I’m never using it), if exactly MTP mode is working? It’s very strange problem that my WinXP can’t find drivers for player in msc mode, I have no idea why this happening. Tried find driver for sansa on SP2 and SP3 cd-s - it’s all the same, windows cannot find driver

Message Edited by fludimir on 07-01-2010 02:03 AM

It is indeed odd that your player won’t connect in MSC mode on your computer as no driver is needed nor used for MSC, only MTP mode. The beauty of MSC mode is that your player appears as just another drive; be it a memory stick, thumb drive or external USB hard drive.

The fact that it does connect on another system rules out the possibility of a defective device, therefore you need to don your trusty deerstalker hat & meeshaum pipe and do some sleuthing into what is different about your system vs. the one that it works on.

You have tried the other USB ports on your computer, right?

>You have tried the other USB ports on your computer, right?
Yes, of course. Tried different usb ports and different cables, nothing changed

Windows XP shouldn’t normally need drivers for USB devices - that’s something which I associate with older operating systems like Windows 98. There are no XP drivers for the Clip/Clip+ for precisely this reason.

Can you try connecting the Clip+ to another PC? If that fails, the problem is the Clip+. Otherwise it’s your PC.

I tried to connect my clip+ to other pcs - with SP2 and SP3 - and all works well. But what is the problem in my PC, I newer had problems with flash-drives, players, etc. My previous sansa, clip not + , connects without any problems

With player connected and on. In WinXP : ControlPanel>System>Hardware>DeviceManager>USBControllers(find device with yellow !) Properties>Driver>Uninstall. Turn off player. Turn on player and see if recognized fully.

There is no unrecognised device at USB controllers, only in “other devices”. It named as “SanDisk Sansa Clip+” and has yellow “!” Tried to uninstall it, remove, turn of player, that turn on and reconnect - nothing changed

Message Edited by fludimir on 07-03-2010 03:43 PM

fludimir wrote:
There is no unrecognised device at USB controllers, only in “other devices”. It named as “SanDisk Sansa Clip+” and has yellow “!” Tried to uninstall it, remove, turn of player, that turn on and reconnect - nothing changed

Sometimes it’s been known to help by re-booting your computer after un-installing it and before pluggin it back in.

fludimir wrote:

Sometimes it’s been known to help by re-booting your computer after un-installing it and before plugging it back in.

Tried… it didn’t helps

A long shot here…it worked for a picky scanner a while back. Exit windows and power down computer. Unplug any unecessary USB devices including hubs(you should not connect Sansa to hub anyway). Unplug computer power cord from AC outlet. Wait 15 seconds and reconnect AC power. Start computer and XP. Connect Sansa with player off(let the USB connection wake up the player). See if it’s recognized fully. Good luck…running out of ideas.

Note: your problem may be a picky brand of computer. Try the support forums for your computer brand and see if people have USB connection problems with the same model. I was running XP-SP2 for a very long time with WMP9 and I never hab a problem connecting in MSC mode to Sansa models,E200(V1&V2),C240,C250,View,Fuze(V1&V2),Clip(V1&V2),Clip+.

Message Edited by 14124all on 07-04-2010 06:23 PM

Just had some fun with the Device Manager in Windows 7.  My little girls are all huddled on the XP machines.  Prying one of them away would be like pulling teeth, I am afraid.

I just plugged in the Clip+ by manually forcing MSC mode.  To do this, starting with the device off, simply hold the center button depressed while connecting, and hold the button until the device shows “connected” on the display.

While the device builds a connection, I see the Device Manager switched several times between Other Device, then eventually the Clip+ is listed as under the USB Root Hub as it should be.  What’s interesting is the intermediate stage that showed for a few seconds, “other”.  It looks like you have an enumeration issue going on.

A device trying to connect in MSC mode will show up as “other” in the DM until properly entered in the windows registry.  Fun experiment!  Never tried with the device manager live.

In the past, if there is a conflicting USB driver, I have seen this phantom issue.  I think it was the PS3 drivers for several users as well, if you have that.  I like the idea of unplugging all USB devices except the necessities (keyboard and mouse), then try plugging in the Sansa.  The problem lies in the Windows Registry, where the computer stores the details for every new device encountered.  If it makes a mistake, every time it sees that Sansa, it tries to use the messed up connection data.  Uninstalling the device clears this data, well, it’s supposed to.

There’s a handy utility, USBDeview, that can help in looking at the installed USB devices.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Finaly solved!  During a difficult research I have found this USB mass storage driver? advice , followed it… and after reboot even my usb flash drive didn’t recognized… :smiley:  So I set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb\DisableSelectiveSuspend key to 0, removed files windows\inf\usb.inf , windows\inf\usb.pnf, windows\inf\usbstor.inf, windows\inf\usbstor.pnf, windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys, and restored original sp2 files - windows\inf\usb.inf , windows\inf\usbstor.inf, windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys (somebody can find them here Стоматология КОМФОРТА на улице Зины Портновой: официальный сайт и контакты, фирма "Стоматология КОМФОРТА на улице Зины Портновой" (Санкт-Петербург): телефон и адрес, отзывы, часы работы компании на Orghost (ID 12225) ) … and both my usb flash drive, sansa clip and clip+ were recognized as removable devices. Huh, it was complicated, but now I’m very happy

Message Edited by fludimir on 07-05-2010 11:33 AM