Clip Zip

I am disappointed. While this player has AAC support and a color screen, battery life is rated as the same as the Clip+(if this review is correct). I was hoping for much longer battery life.  it is a bit lighter than the Clip+. I am also disappointed that this has a micro USB connector rather than a mini one. Will I buy one of these? A good question. I still haven’t bought a Fuze+.The Clip Zip seems like a good player, however I am not convinced that it is significantly better than the Clip+. (the color screen and AAC support don’t impress me, and the RDS radio is just slightly interesting. I was hoping for HD radio).

http://computershopper.com/mp3-players/reviews/sandisk-sansa-clip-zip-4gb

Other reviews say it is the same size as the Clip+ but lighter. It sounds like this is probably true…

This review says it is the same size of the Clip+, but heavier. Why can’t  reviewers get the facts correct?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391262,00.asp

So far, I like what I see overall.  It’s a good looking design and the name is catchy. 

@jk98 wrote:

This review says it is the same size of the Clip+, but heavier. Why can’t  reviewers get the facts correct?

Good question. This reviewer says it takes over 30 seconds to boot up too. It does not. I don’t see it as any slower than the Clip+. And yes, you CAN program your own FM presets despite what he says.

He also puts the included earbuds into the “Cons” category. This really has nothing to do with the player itself and most (if not all) players comes with cheapie buds that will most likely be replaced by something better by those concerned with sound quality.

" He also puts the included earbuds into the “Cons” category. This really has nothing to do with the player itself and most (if not all) players comes with cheapie buds that will most likely be replaced by something better by those concerned with sound quality. "

Imo included earbuds should be decent enough, or else they should not be included. I would like to see a case included instead of earbuds. A case needs to be specific for that model of player. Including very cheap earbuds with a player is like including a 10 cent pen with each package of paper, or including very cheap sox with each pair of shoes sold.  What percentage of people don’t already have some sort of headphone, pen, or sox??? :) 

@tapeworm wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

Good question. This reviewer says it takes over 30 seconds to boot up too. It does not. I don’t see it as any slower than the Clip+.

With a nearly full internal memory, and no card, the Clip Zip takes 8.2 seconds to boot up, according to my trusty iPod stopwatch.:stuck_out_tongue:

Marvin, you have one of these? Where did you get it? How much? Are there 6 different buttons on top, or is it one back button and a rocker in the center? How easy is the screen to read? Does it have variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction? Is the interface very similar to that of the Clip+?

@jk98 wrote:

Marvin, you have one of these? Where did you get it? How much? Are there 6 different buttons on top, or is it one back button and a rocker in the center? How easy is the screen to read? Does it have variable speed playback with automatic pitch correction? Is the interface very similar to that of the Clip+?

No pitch correction, just slow, normal, or fast. For further info, check http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Clip-Zip/bd-p/ClipZip

Have you Gurus taken a look at the threads in the new Clip Zip board? 

@jk98 wrote:

" He also puts the included earbuds into the “Cons” category. This really has nothing to do with the player itself and most (if not all) players comes with cheapie buds that will most likely be replaced by something better by those concerned with sound quality. "

Imo included earbuds should be decent enough, or else they should not be included. I would like to see a case included instead of earbuds. A case needs to be specific for that model of player. Including very cheap earbuds with a player is like including a 10 cent pen with each package of paper, or including very cheap sox with each pair of shoes sold.  What percentage of people don’t already have some sort of headphone, pen, or sox??? :) 

It’s funny, but I regularly see people posting here and elsewhere that they really like the earbuds that come with the Clips and would like to buy a replacement pair but can’t find them anywhere!    :slight_smile:

I tend to agree with JK98 that the manufacturers should save the expense of the buds–the vast majority of people must have pairs of these hanging around from the years.  I like the idea of including a case instead–especially one that shows off the new player.  I have a super mini-leather case for my original Clip that I really like, and finding nice alternatives for non-Apple products can be difficult. 

Why do you care? Do you have shares or something?

LOL. No shares here–my shares only go down.

The Clip Zip comes packaged with the same earbuds as the Clip+, the round little guys with foam covers.  My wife loves 'em, but I prefer in-ear types personally.

The FM radio is very good on the new machine, using the RDS version of the FM chip.  The display generates less interference than the Clip+ OLED display, an improvement.

It’s really nice to see station and song information when listening to music.  The radio controls are identical to the Clip+.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The Clip Zip comes packaged with the same earbuds as the Clip+, the round little guys with foam covers.  My wife loves 'em, but I prefer in-ear types personally.

Your wife obviously is not the reviewer at PCMag, who found the earbuds 1 of the 2 biggest cons of the Clip Zip.   :wink:

Why does JK98 care, I mean.

Is he going to buy 7 of them? One in each colour, and then compare them definitively to everything else forever and ever?

Guy’s an :robotmad:

Personal attacks and bad language are forbidden according to the Forum Rules and Guidelines.  This is a family forum!  Consider this warning, refrain from littering up the forums.

microsansa

@ingenue wrote:

Why does JK98 care, I mean.

Is he going to buy 7 of them? One in each colour, and then compare them definitively to everything else forever and ever?

Guy’s an [deleted].

Not appropriate for this site, Ingenue . . . .  Not that JK98 needs any explaining, but he’s a technology/audio player/SanDisk player fan, interested in SanDisk’s players.  And believe it or not, but many people in fact do have multiple Clips, in different colors.   :wink:

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming.

@neutron_bob wrote:

The FM radio is very good on the new machine, using the RDS version of the FM chip.  The display generates less interference than the Clip+ OLED display, an improvement.

It’s really nice to see station and song information when listening to music.  The radio controls are identical to the Clip+.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I use the packaged buds for bed I dont like the IEMs pushing against my ear and a pillow. 

As for RDS there are some “Quirks” with the technology. Its all based on a code of some type and if the code generated by a specific station starts a certain way then the call letters of the station are wrong. (I dont fully understand this but one of the engineers here at the radio station where I work tried to explain it)

Short example In Toledo 104.7 is WIOT but on any RDS system it comes up KEHB. Just a bit of warning. 

@conversionbox wrote:

As for RDS there are some “Quirks” with the technology. Its all based on a code of some type and if the code generated by a specific station starts a certain way then the call letters of the station are wrong. (I dont fully understand this but one of the engineers here at the radio station where I work tried to explain it)

Short example In Toledo 104.7 is WIOT but on any RDS system it comes up KEHB. Just a bit of warning. 

I’ve noticed some Song Titles are nowhere near what they’re supposed to be either, but that I’m sure is up to the individual station inputting the correct data. Sort of like ID3 tags.

@tapeworm wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

As for RDS there are some “Quirks” with the technology. 

I’ve noticed some Song Titles are nowhere near what they’re supposed to be either, but that I’m sure is up to the individual station inputting the correct data. Sort of like ID3 tags.

It is part that and part of the way the audio is packaged for local markets (I believe)

“Why does JK98 care, I mean.”

i have many  pairs of lower quality earphones and headphones that came with audio players I bought over the years… When they are very bad, I sometimes just throw them in the trash. When they aren’t that bad, I save them, but rarely if ever use them. I would rather either pay less for the item and not get the earphones(even if it is just $1 or $2  less) or else get a case(a low cost one like a skin) included with the player.