Clip Zip

"

I have a Clip+, had it for about a year now, I never bothered with Rockbox.

So I’m thinking a Clip Zip might be a good replacement when it finally dies."

That was my point of this thread. The Clip Zip seems like a good replacement for the Clip+, but isn’t that much better than the Clip+  to inspire most who have working Clip+ players to rush out and buy one. i was hoping for something much better than the Clip+ such as a version of it with much longer battery life(it would only need to be slightly thicker).

Rockbox has fine autoresume (and bookmarking) features.

But always note:  Rockbox could eliminate DRM play capabilities on your player, permanently.  (I just wish this wasn’t so . . . .)  And, apparently, a small number of original Clip v2 players (I think I got that right) could be bricked by Rockbox (sigh!), given their manufacturing particularities. 

Thanks for the warning. The player I would have considered Rockboxing though was my Clip V2. :cry: I don’t want to risk my Clip+ or Fuze players.

I hate the bricking possibility!  But note:  it’s very slight (although there is that slight Clip v2 possibility, apparently, which I just read about).  But I agree with you–I’d only do it if I’m ok with something happening to the player, however slight the possibility.

Now, of course, if you have multiple players . . . .    :wink:

I’ve never been able to get rockbox to load. I’ve got a Fuse, Clip, Clip + (2), and will buy a Clip Zip once it hits a real store.

I love playing flac right out of the box at a fairly low price and being able to manage the drives using micro sd cards. But I pull my hair out trying to get Rockbox to load on any of these devices. it’s been a while now since I last tried and I cannot remember the errer, but…I’m just on the original OS.

These are just great on-the-go players.

Best Buy has the player for sale online, but I haven’t been to a store to see if they have them in-stock there yet.  It’ll be interesting to see if there are any good deals during the Labor Day weekend though I doubt there will be since the Clip Zip just came out.

I was at a Best Buy Sunday.

There were no Clip Zips in transit to the store.

" It’ll be interesting to see if there are any good deals during the Labor Day weekend though I doubt there will be since the Clip Zip just came out."

I think it may greatly depend on how large their inventory of Clip+ players is. if they have many Clip+ players, they might put the Clip+ on sale rather than the Clip Zip. Once they clear out their Clip+ inventory, then they may put the Clip Zip on sale.

@glfnaz wrote:

I was at a Best Buy Sunday.

There were no Clip Zips in transit to the store.

I heard that Best Buy is only going to sell the Clip Zips online.  I find that odd since they’ve sold the other sansa players in-store. 

Now that’s just plain silly,  There are, after all, some (nice) alternatives to the fruit company’s players (which BB has in-store aplenty).

"I heard that Best Buy is only going to sell the Clip Zips online. I find that odd since they’ve sold the other sansa players in-store. "

If they have many Clip+ players in inventory, then they might delay selling the Clip Zip in some stores until they sell the CliP+ inventory. If I was an electronics store manger and had Clip+ inventory, I would keep a few Clip Zips in the back and only sell them when a customer specifically requests it. Otherwise I would be trying to sell the Clip+.

If they have them side by side on display, then the Clip+ will only sell if it is priced much less. I think Best Buy dropped thir price on the 4GB Clip+ to $40, but that might just be a temporary special.

@jk98 wrote:

If they have them side by side on display, then the Clip+ will only sell if it is priced much less.

Agreed.   IMO, at the same price, more people will be drawn to the Clip Zip’s larger, more colorful screen.

Looking at the center button on the Clip Zip and seeing how narrow it is, is it more difficult to use than the one on the clip+? 

@mags1230 wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

If they have them side by side on display, then the Clip+ will only sell if it is priced much less.

Agreed.   IMO, at the same price, more people will be drawn to the Clip Zip’s larger, more colorful screen.

Looking at the center button on the Clip Zip and seeing how narrow it is, is it more difficult to use than the one on the clip+? 

I’ve had a couple of every incarnation of the clip, and I find the CZ the easiest to use of the bunch.  It’s hard to describe really… but the layout of the controls are very intuitive and easy to use.  The centre button, in my hands anyway, works flawlessly.

@mags1230 wrote:

It may be narrower, but it is raised up a little bit compared to the Clip+ center button…very easy to find with a fingertip even if you’re not looking at it.

@mags1230 wrote:

In my opinion, yes. Also problematic (for me anyway) is the fact that the left & right buttons extend clear to the sides of the player. While this may make it easier to intentionally operate the controls (especially without looking at it), it also makes it easier to inadvertently skip forward to the next song or start the now playing song over from the beginning simply by handling the player by its miniscule sides.

I don’t have exceptionally large, or fat fingers but this has happened to me several times. Yes, I could use the LOCK feature, but that’s one more thing I’d have to get in the habit of doing to avoid this.

For me, the thinness of the select button makes it seem easier to inadvertently click the up or down button, initially (although I haven’t done this, regardless).  But then the thumb learns.  The fact that the select button is raised up from the pad and that the pad requires positive click force to depress it helps.  In the end, I prefer the earlier Clip pad with its larger and pronounced buttons, where the buttons each were the size for a full thumbpress, but I can see that the addition of the “larger” screen required changes to the pad.  Certainly not a make-or-break issue.

Sounds like the new control pad will take a little getting used to.  Overall, I like the larger sized pad and that it’s a lighter color, except for the black unit, than the rest of the player.  It’ll make it easier to see in low light situations.

I think for blind operation, the Zip is easier…the select button is easier for me to differentiate from the surrounding control button because it is slightly raised up, as opposed to the Clip+ where they are almost flush with each other.

Just checking in to see what’s new around here and I guess my initial take on Zip is … yawn.

Assuming the smaller footprint nav buttons are blind/tactilely workable, the larger display might be nice. However my two hoped for features/improvements – battery life, larger onboard storage – weren’t addressed. There’s certainly nothing here to make me rush out to get one. Maybe it/when it can be Rockboxed…

Meh…

@robisan wrote:

Just checking in to see what’s new around here and I guess my initial take on Zip is … yawn.

Assuming the smaller footprint nav buttons are blind/tactilely workable, the larger display might be nice. However my two hoped for features/improvements – battery life, larger onboard storage – weren’t addressed. There’s certainly nothing here to make me rush out to get one. Maybe it/when it can be Rockboxed…

Meh…

I think, for some users, that’s the case.  For others, especially those who like album art and who use iTunes, this could be a big deal.  And I must say, I like the time-of-day indicator and the alphabetical scrolling.