Clip+ - Win XP - worked initially, but now just shows connected but no drive letters

Yesterday I installed Sansa+8gb successfully along with Rhapsody and I could see two drive letters for the Sansa. I loaded songs and played them.

Today I can’t see the drive letters. Sansa only shows up as an icon under My Computer. As suggested, I tried uninstalling the driver under “Device Mgr” and windows reinstalled it correctly.

The Sansa device itself shows connected and I can browse the Sansa icon but my songs don’t show up!! On the Sansa itself I can see my songs and they play but I cannot load any more songs. Rhapsody doesn’t see the device either of course.

The “drive letter conflict” suggestion won’t work because I don’t see ANY DRIVE LETTERS.

Before I send this back, what else can I try??   Win XP SP3 up-to-date.

Thanks

jspence

the Clip+ has 2 connection modes. MTP (media transfer protocol) and MSC (mass storage class) 

If the clip is in MTP mode it will show up as a portable device with NO drive letter. If it is in MSC mode it will show up with 2 drive letters. Both are normal depending on what the USB mode is set to.

If you are using rhapsody music service you will have to use MTP. MSC will not work for subscription services.  

It sounds like your device connected in MSC mode initially and is now connecting in MTP mode. Note that files loaded in one mode will not show up when the device is connected in the other mode when browsed on the computer.

in short this is what you will need to do. go to settings and select format. This will erase all the data on the device.

Next since you are using rhapsody go to settings > USB mode and select MTP. (make sure you ahve windows media player 10 or higher installed on your computer)

next connect your clip+ to the computer, it should be detected under my computer as a portable device with no drive letter. 

now you can sync all your music from both your computer and the rhapsody service. 

DrLucky - right on!  I just found that MSC/MTP switch on another solution.  Now I can copy to the Sansa just like any other drive, so I’ll pass on Rhapsody.

Thanks for the QUICK POST. I’ll mark this as FIXED.

jspence

@jspence wrote:

DrLucky - right on!  I just found that MSC/MTP switch on another solution.  Now I can copy to the Sansa just like any other drive, so I’ll pass on Rhapsody.

Thanks for the QUICK POST. I’ll mark this as FIXED.

jspence

Then you should (with all respect) mark drlucky’s reply as the solution. After all, he’s the one that gave you the answer. :wink: