Clip: Where's the Oompf? Pump Up the Volume!

"But…try to think like an average listener - he goes to the store for a new MP3 player. Comes home and want to listen to some music. He finds out that the player doesn’t play like it should or like he has imagin it would. Then he comes to the forum for an advice and the first answer is ‘‘you should buy a new headphones’’.

Imo, mp3 players should be sold without headphones. Here’s why. First of all, there are 4 types of headphones/earphones, canalphones, earbuds, closed headphones and open headphones. Let’s say the preference for each type is equal. So whichever type is included, 3/4 of the people will be disappointed.

Then there are preferences for a brighter vs a bassier headphone or earphone. Most people buying a player will already have high quality earphones from previous players. If a $20 earphone is included and the price is $20 higher, those who usually use a $70 or so earphone will be disappointed. So instead a very low quality cheap earphone is included, which many people toss in the trash. What a waste. I would like to see a basic skin/clip included in the box rather than an earphone(okay, the Clip has a built in clip, but this comment was made for mp3 players in general).

“The output level of the Clip is the same as other MP3 players we have tested.”

I guess you are comparing it to other small players that have a builtin clip, but not to all other players. 

I guess you didn’t test that esoteric brand(you know which one I mean, lets not name it here) that has a model with a full sized SDHC card slot, 52 hour listed battery life,  and 37 mw per channel into 16 ohms output, and another model by them with 24.5 mw/channel into 16 ohms output. I hope Sandisk will make players like these(or better!) as Sandisk would probably price them lower, and would have much wider distribution. There seem to be plenty of mp3 players that put out 5mw per channel or less into 16 ohms.

@jk98 wrote:

“The output level of the Clip is the same as other MP3 players we have tested.”

I guess you are comparing it to other small players that have a builtin clip, but not to all other players. 

I guess you didn’t test that esoteric brand(you know which one I mean, lets not name it here) that has a model with a full sized SDHC card slot, 52 hour listed battery life,  and 37 mw per channel into 16 ohms output, and another model by them with 24.5 mw/channel into 16 ohms output. I hope Sandisk will make players like these(or better!) as Sandisk would probably price them lower, and would have much wider distribution. There seem to be plenty of mp3 players that put out 5mw per channel or less into 16 ohms.

What is tha actual output of the Clip and Fuze? I’ve never seen it anywhere, and would be curious to know. I can say, however…Sansa Clip/Fuze+Fiio E3+KSC75+Led Zeppelin is a little bit of heaven on earth…now at tax time I’ll get an E5 too.

Edit: Metallica’s Kill 'Em All isn’t too shabby either!

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 01-13-2009 03:06 AM

The wee E5 is a great device, just the ticket for the big phones, and it’s rechargeable too.  Tasty TPA6130A output device too.  It has the same Mini-B charge port as the Clip.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

The wee E5 is a great device, just the ticket for the big phones, and it’s rechargeable too.  Tasty TPA6130A output device too.  It has the same Mini-B charge port as the Clip.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

That is great to hear, the same charge port! So I could listen to the Fuze with the E5 and the Clip with the E3, to maximize the utility of my Clip’s  wallcharger.

Perhaps a more portable set of full size phones will be in order then. The cord on my Senn’s is long enough to relegate them to bedroom music and movie use, and they need some slight, but more delicate equalization than my Sansa’s can provide, but the computer->home receiver->201’s works quite well. :wink:

Well…Fiio E5 is tempting. I would like to hear (have) it but has not came in Europe yet. Is in the USA available at this moment? My friend is in South Carolina for two weeks and if available I would mail him to buy me one.

A few days ago I’ve built myself Cmoy OPA2132 amp. Well, I must say the thing is performing excelent. I also implemented bass boost (check Google: cmoy bass boost) and now I am in heaven. This thing rocks.

@giltic wrote:
Well…Fiio E5 is tempting. I would like to hear (have) it but has not came in Europe yet. Is in the USA available at this moment? My friend is in South Carolina for two weeks and if available I would mail him to buy me one.

It’s available, but not in stores…you have to order it online. So I don’t know if your friend would be here long enough to get one.

The FiiO E5 is available online from dealextreme.com and mp4nation.net, among other sources; with free shipping internationally (they are located in Hong Kong).  Under US$25.  Note:  regular shipping can take 1-3 weeks.

‘‘Free shiping internationaly…’’ - does this mean Free shipping to Europe ? Would they really send it free to Europe?

Is this for real?

Yes, They Do,

I have ordered a Flashlight there and everithing went well. I can not complain. Shipping took 10 Days. 

But be carefull with your local Tax Fees. In germany you can order stuff up to 25€ and you dont have to pay tax.

@giltic wrote:

‘‘Free shiping internationaly…’’ - does this mean Free shipping to Europe ? Would they really send it free to Europe?

Is this for real?

Yep, and it’s legit.  I’ve purchased from both sites and the transactions have been smooth (although MP4 Nation is “less established,” as you can tell from its forum and slower delivery and notification issues posted there).  And the shipping, yes, is free (or course, that just means it’s not additional–it’s built into the price).  Delivery is a bit variable–it depends on how well the HK post is working then, as well as country customs.  I’ve received some items (to the U.S.) in 6 days, others in 18.  But fine, especially considering the price.

Don’t expect large boxes with lots of padding for items; small, non-breakable items I’ve purchased have come in padded envelopes (which is just as well). 

And you may need to take some care with some items.  I’ve purchased batteries, and some (name-brand) have been fine, others (local brands) less so.  But at great prices.

Today I’ve checked about deliverys from non-EU countries; our country charges 20% taxes. I’am still hesitating to place the order - when I was looking  dealextreme.com and saw low prices I’ve suddenly found bunch of stuff I would need. :stuck_out_tongue:

But suddenly me and my better half decided to buy a new LCD TV so I guess my stuff will just have to vait. Besides, I’ve built Cmoy amp and I’m quite happy with it for now.

Seriously you guys, try to help the man instead of gibberishing. The OOOMPF is: Reset to factory settings, select region: rest of the world.

This will allow you to enable high volume, and if i hadnt found this myself, i would have thrown my sansa clip out the window.

A good tip to keep in mind.

Except that here, the OP said that setting to High Volume didn’t solve things for him (see the 1st post in the thread) …

:wink:

Kewlape wrote:

Seriously you guys, try to help the man instead of gibberishing. The OOOMPF is: Reset to factory settings, select region: rest of the world.

This will allow you to enable high volume, and if i hadnt found this myself, i would have thrown my sansa clip out the window.

Plus the fact that the original post was 3 years ago, long before the firmware update was created to comply with the EU restrictions limiting the volume.

Kewlape wrote:

Seriously you guys, try to help the man instead of gibberishing. The OOOMPF is: Reset to factory settings, select region: rest of the world.

Miikerman wrote:

A good tip to keep in mind.

Except that here, the OP said that setting to High Volume didn't solve things for him (see the 1st post in the thread) ...

;)

Plus the fact that the original post was 3 years ago, long before the firmware update was created to comply with the EU restrictions limiting the volume.

(Wow–it’s been almost 3 years!)

Oh well my bad, however it still shows up among the first hits when you google this problem, so i think its good to mention that there is this solution on the thread, for everyone who buys the sansa clip today, get home, listens to it and almost dies of dissapointment due to the insanely low volume.

thank you Kewlape, you’re a star . Rest of the world seting certainly improves the volume , I was very dissappointed that I couldn’t hear the volume in the gym. Fingers crossed it’ll be better tonight otherwise I’ll revert to the £10 Curtis !! (Asda special)