Clip+ Sound Quality: Original Firmware vs. Rockbox

@saratoga wrote:

<snip>

And this is why no one should care about subjective comparisons :slight_smile:  They’re always wrong.  

Respectfully:  Subjective comparisions are not “always wrong”.  Well, maybe YOURS are, but mine are not.

It is a gross oversimplification and fallacy to assume that subjective comparisons are “always wrong”.  They do vary by evaluator because evaluators are different, they are subject to evaluator bias that sometimes includes hidden agendas or motives, and they are difficult (to impossible) to verify and replicate.  But that does not mean they are “always wrong”.

If I cannot trust my own subjective discernment because it is “always wrong”, then I might as well give up on trying to obtain better-quality in most areas of my life.  Music/audio, food, coffee, vehicles, housing, air quality…the list goes on and on.

This RB vs. OF sound quality thread is interesting in illuminating individual emotional responses rooted in misconception and fallacy, but its really not very productive until someone links to data, or a posting says “News:  Latest RB firmware update includes sound quality improvements”.  Meanwhile, I am just fine with OF.  It sounds better to my brutally-honest subjective opinion.  :slight_smile: