Clip+Plus Internal memory contents not viewable in Powerdesk

Hello,

I fully loaded my 8GB internal memory with music a couple of months ago.  Today when I attached the Clip to add a song to my external card, I couldn’t view the contents of my internal card at all.  In fact, Windows XP didn’t seem to find my card at all until I set USB to MSC as it says in my start up guide.  I was able to view the external card contents but not the internal card contents.  I tried to copy something to the internal memory and Windows told me the card was full but I can’t see anything.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on?  When I look in folders view on the Clip, I can see the items are still there on internal memory and the songs play.  

Thanks.

Christie wrote:

Hello,

I fully loaded my 8GB internal memory with music a couple of months ago.  Today when I attached the Clip to add a song to my external card, I couldn’t view the contents of my internal card at all.  In fact, Windows XP didn’t seem to find my card at all until I set USB to MSC as it says in my start up guide.  I was able to view the external card contents but not the internal card contents.  I tried to copy something to the internal memory and Windows told me the card was full but I can’t see anything.

Anybody have any ideas what is going on?  When I look in folders view on the Clip, I can see the items are still there on internal memory and the songs play.  

Thanks.

What mode was the player in when the songs on the internal memory were added? Your computer can only see the files added while connected in that same USB mode as how they were tranferred to the device in the 1st place.

Hi, Thanks

What mode do I get when the Clip+ is set to Autodetect?  I didn’t have to fool with any settings when I loaded the music previously.  However, this time Windows didn’t find my Clip and I had to set things to MSC.  ???

Alright.  I guess I am understanding a little bit.  Will start a new thread on my new confusion though.

When I got the Clip+, it came up under autodetect and I loaded internal memory using the default (which I think is MTP).  Then I used a USB reader/writer to load my external card so that is by default MSC.  Now my Clip+ is no longer recognized in AutoDetect (maybe because it has a card written in MSC inserted?).  At any rate,  when I set the default to MSC, Powerdesk can only see the external card.

It’s best not to use the Auto-Defect setting for the reasons you’ve already discovered. Choose and manually select either MTP or MSC mode based on how you plan to use the device. If you want to use DRM-encrypted files such as from Rhapsody, Napster, Audible, etc. then MTP is required.

If you buy DRM-free .mp3 files or rip your own CD’s, then MSC mode is defintely easier and more trouble-free.