Clip+ Memory Card Issues Again

I’ve written about this problem before but thought I had it figured out that the reason the card showed

the files as MSC when I had the player on Auto Detect was that the card that did this was PNY

brand and the card that read correctly was San Disk brand.

Not so. Bought a new card San Disk SD 2G yesterday and put it into a fairly new Clip+.  It shows these categories:

Audiobooks, MSC, and Podcasts.  Is it just not possible to keep the same USB setting and move

the card from one player to another.  Why the MSC setting which I haven’t seen on my other two

cards?  Do I need to format?  What can I do so that files can be seen on each of my devices?

My clip+ devices have all firmware that exists.

If none of this is possible then I’m done with memory cards.

Donna in AR

I always keep my Sansas on MSC mode, no MTP or Auto-defect mode, and I’ve always been able to swap cards from one to the other. Auto-defect is bad news…you should choose either MTP (only if you need it for Rhapsody, Audible, or other DRM stuff) or preferable MSC.

There is the reason I’ve used autodetect as I am an audio books person–Audible, ripped and Overdrive.  Guess I need to look up info on settings but they have never been clear to me on

Clip+.

The ones on the PNY card are only visible on the device they were loaded on and the PC show

them as MSC files not visible.

Donna

@dford3772 wrote:

There is the reason I’ve used autodetect as I am an audio books person–Audible, ripped and Overdrive.  Guess I need to look up info on settings but they have never been clear to me on

Clip+.

The ones on the PNY card are only visible on the device they were loaded on and the PC show

them as MSC files not visible.

Donna

If you are using audiobooks with Audible and Overdrive, then MTP is the setting you need. Auto-defect can switch back and forth between MTP and MSC, and files loaded in one mode are not visible on the PC when the player is in the other mode…I think that is the main reason you are experiencing this.

If you were to clear your players and cards( at least the ones you use for the audiobooks), set them all to MTP, and then do your reloading that way, I don’t think you’d ever have this problem again. Yes, it will be a pain, but in the end you’d save yourself from further aggravation down the road.

You are making this complicated. I assume you have copies of all the files that are on your players and on your memory cards also on your pc(if not, then copy them to your pc). Connect the player to the pc and delete all the files on the card. Disconnect the player, and set the player to msc. Format the player using the player menu. Do this for all your players. Next connect a player and load up the main memory and the card. Do that for all your players. Now your problems should be over.

Except that, if the user is using DRM’ed files, he needs to use USB MTP mode.  In that case, follow the above but set the player’s USB mode to MTP.

If protected files need to be used, then keep all the players in MTP mode, and load the cards using a usb card reader or a card reader built into the pc. Only unprotected files should be put on cards, and they should only be put there in msc mode.

As long as the files are tagged properly (the ID3 tags), the player will recognize all media regardless of mode.

For example, I have several cards loaded in MSC mode using a reader.  These cards are for use in the bulletproof SlotMusic device.  The Clip+ can only pass file information via USB from one mode at a time; the files appear “missing” when you try to read them from the PC.

If you load the files in MTP mode, with the Clip+ plugged in as the “reader”, all files will be visible.

Using Folder view on the Clip+, you can switch between MSC and MTP files in the file tree.  If navigating via the tag data, it doesn’t matter which transfer mode was used.

Files can be transferred in either mode to the microSD card, don’t worry; they don’t have to be loaded in MSC.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I tried putting unprotected files on a card in a fuze when the card was in the player and the player was in mtp mode. It caused many problems. since then, I only put msc transferred files on card memory. Loading the card in a usb card reader or in a pc card slot is equivalent to transferring the files to a card in the Clip+ when the Clip+ is in msc mode.

I had one card that I used in my Fuze in mtp mode. it had some unprotected mtp transferred files on it. I forgot about that, and later tried to use the card in a card reader in my pc. The pc wouldn’t recognize the card. I could understand the pc not reading the mtp transferred files, but instead it wouldn’t recognize the card at all, and wouldn’t even let me format the card. I put the card in the Fuze, set the Fuze to mtp, connected the player to the pc, then I was able to delete the files on the card. I set the Fuze back to msc,  then put the card in the card reader in the pc, and it worked just fine. Since then, I have avoided mtp like the plague.