Clip Keeps Restarting while Connected

Just got my clip, plugged it in, and it keeps restarting over and over again, like it starts up says its connected and then that its writting and then shows me the sandisk logo fading away, and then does it over and over, like an endless loop.

I barely got it to install as a normal device by uninstalling windows media player and its runtime and then plugging it in while holding the center button.

and now im not even sure if it works, because it apears in my computer, but the fact that it keeps restarting is kinda freaky like if im maybe transfering and it restarts does that interupt?

or am I wrong, is this supposed to go down.

Is it in a “writing” loop or is it simply charging (in which it alternates between 2 screens, a Connected screen with a battery in the upper right showing the battery charge level, and a SanDisk screen)?

Its in a those two screens that alternate

the problem is that it wont install as an MTP device, so I have to choose MSC in the USB mode menu, which ■■■■■ because I cant add playlists.

When I plug it in as a MTP device windows just keeps trying to install it and the little bubble just keeps poppin up saying MTP device.

Well, so you can hook up and the Clip is working–great!

For MTP mode, do you have the minimum requirements? Windows XP2 and WMP10 or above.

And playlists can be created/used in MSC mode just as in MTP mode. It’s really just DRM files that are affected (and that can’t be used in MSC mode).

Yah I have Windows Media Player 11 and XP SP2 so I should be good

I want to create playlists but when I do in WMP 11 and then drag them over they dont apear in the playlist, and the only one that apears is the GoList.

@jbourne wrote:

Yah I have Windows Media Player 11 and XP SP2 so I should be good

I want to create playlists but when I do in WMP 11 and then drag them over they dont apear in the playlist, and the only one that apears is the GoList.

Try setting up a playlist in WMP of the files on your computer that you want on your Clip.  Do this by choosing “New List…” then “Playlist” while in the Library view of WMP.  Drag the files over to the rightmost pane in WMP which should now say “New Playlist” and order the files in the order you want them to play.  Then “Save Playlist As…” and put this playlist on your computer (not on the Clip at this point).  Change to the Sync view of WMP, choose the playlist from the dropdown list where it says “Sync List” on the leftmost pane then “Start Sync”.  Then the songs plus the playlist are transferred over correctly.  Hope this helps.

hi

i have exactly the same problem, but using linux (fedora fc9). the player display shows a connected-writing-disconnected-loop. 

any ideas?

cheers

tobi

I guess I too am at the point of smashing the Clip.  It sounds ok, but the problem is when connecting it to a computer.  I tried three different machines, each running different OSes, and using three different USB cables.  The Clip’s USB port is tricky – it takes several attempts to get it working, each time.  Today I nailed it on my 28th trial.

This is what I get in syslog (Debian, Linux kernel 2.4.24)

[…]
Sep  7 22:45:21 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 23
Sep  7 22:45:23 nonzen kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port 3 reset error -110
Sep  7 22:45:23 nonzen kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
Sep  7 22:45:47 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 24
Sep  7 22:45:48 nonzen kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port 3 reset error -110
Sep  7 22:45:48 nonzen kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
Sep  7 22:46:43 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 25
Sep  7 22:46:44 nonzen kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port 3 reset error -110
Sep  7 22:46:44 nonzen kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
Sep  7 22:47:21 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 26
Sep  7 22:47:22 nonzen kernel: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port 3 reset error -110
Sep  7 22:47:22 nonzen kernel: hub 4-0:1.0: hub_port_status failed (err = -32)
Sep  7 22:47:33 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 27
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 28
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen kernel: usb 4-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen NetworkManager: <debug> [1220807854.959912] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_781_7433_740305061507B5870000000000000000’).
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen kernel: usb-storage: device found at 28
Sep  7 22:47:34 nonzen kernel: usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning

[…]

I was very happy to find a small inexpensive player that plays ogg.  But turns out that the extra hidden price is the test of my patience.  Going through this forum, it appears like a usual problem – anybody has a solution, other than returning the player?  Since this is random behaviour, I have very little hope that Customer Support in my country would be actually helpful.

I’m having the same issue.

What do we need to do to fix the issue?

Do we return it and not buy anymore SanDisk/Sansa products because they are faulty? or call support because they will be more than happy to help fix the issue?

I agree, I am ready to take a hammer to this thing. They say the solution is to change to MSC mode - like we alraeady haven’t done that. I’ve gone through 3 different USB cables, checked all three USB 2.0 ports on this computer, put it in MSC mode, and it sits there alternating between wiriting and connecting.

I can’t believe they would make a product that’s so touchy about ports, cables, which ver. WMP is on there, it’s unbelievable to me. I wish I went with the shuffle now, at least might have more of my sanity. I can’t return it, moved out of the area and lost the receipt.There’s quite a few of us with same problem and there is no follow up solution to the MSC fix, which doesn’t always work.

Btw, XP SP3, WMP11, just changed USB cables again and new problem, cycled betwen writing -connected > a song display> Disconnected, then finaly it has only Disconnected displayed, and none of the switches work.

I have the sansa updater, ran that a while ago and no updates were available except for the manual. Looks like it is DOA now. Can’t turn it off, no buttons do anything. Has anyone else observed this display? Is it toast? Oh, I changed it to MTP mode just before this happened, since MSC wasn’t producing any results…

I am having the same exact problem. When I connect it it comes on, it says connected with the 2 lil monitors, then it says writing, and then disconnected. It then does this repeatedly. When it comes on Windows recognizes the device, and the window will pop up with options for the device, but then the clip dissconnects bye it self. It just started doing this out of the blue. Whats going on?

My OS is XP, and as i stated above, it used to work just fine. I feel like throwing out of the window lol. Somebody help please!!!

Press the power switch up and hold it for 10 seconds to reset the unit.

Power the unit up and reformat is using Settings>Format>yes

Try to uninstall the device from the computer using Device Manager and try reconnecting it so Windows finds the driver and installs the device again…

If all else fails,  you can try calling tech support.