Clip+ 8 Gb bricked; reset won't work; manual format?

Hi,

Been very happy with Sansa mp3s for years, back to the old m230. Had a spare Clip+ 8 Gb that I just gave to my son (“My iPhone ■■■■■ as a music player!”); I’d used it for over a year, on and off, no problems other than an occasional hard reset. Son clears the music off the 8 Gb SD card in the slot and puts his on there, leaves my music on the internal memory, and goes on his merry way…till the next day, when it goes dead on him.

Hard reset didn’t work. Plugging it into the charger overnight didn’t work. Letting it sit for a day didn’t work. It still won’t reset. So I downloaded the latest firmware, unzipped it, plugged the Clip+ into the PC, and Explorer tells me that the removable drive has to be formatted. Okay, I can do that…and the format dialog box came up with a Capacity of 30.6 Mb for the Clip+. And that’s where I stopped. I do NOT want to format it to that capacity. What’s going on here? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lew

Did you try removing the card and then trying the reset? Maybe your son put some files on the the Clip+ doesn’t like or can’t read?

Yes, I did take the card out, one of the first things I did. Should have said so, sorry. And thanks for the quick reply.

Lew

Usually the 32MB blank disk thing means the flash memory is dead.

@saratoga wrote:
Usually the 32MB blank disk thing means the flash memory is dead.

Urk. So it really IS a brick, then. A little black brick. Oh well. Thanks!

Lew

You might try leaving it on until the battery runs down and shuts itself off. Then try plugging it into your computer. It may not be recognized right away; sometimes it takes a while until the charge level comes up.

Sounds strange, but others have had success this way. Anyway, it seems you’ve nothing to lose by trying.