Clip 4GB A/C Wall Charger Available?

neutron_bob wrote:

I like this one from Macally.  It’s a “Made For Sansa” unit too.

Bob  :smiley:

Nuetron Man,

Thanks for the link and recommendation. Do you have any exprerience with this unit working with a Clip?  The specs indicate it is compatible with the Sansa 200 series, but it does not specifically reference it as Clip compatible. It’s very likely this will also work with the Clip, but I wonder if any forum moderators from Sansa can endorse/recommend a charger as specifically compatible with the Clip?

Thanks again Bob,

CalKid Bill

It is compatible and works fine with the Clip, based on personal experience.

As far as I am aware, SanDisk does not have a USB charger approved/endorsed list for the Clip (perhaps for concern that someone might hold it responsible if something goes wrong, and the need to test any charger out first before endorsement).  But perhaps one of its reps. will say something here, especially as to the Macally.

The Kodak charger referenced above:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7693962

MilkerMan,

Thanks for your feedback. Your experience with the Macally charger also recommended by Nuetron Man, and knowing it works with the Clip is helpful. I may give that one a try.

I’ve purchased a clip for my edlerly father’s use and I need to keep its operation as simple as possible, so I want to eliminate the need for him to use a PC to charge the Clip.

Bill

Yep, it’s too bad that electronics makers such as here have eliminated including an AC supply, to save money.  Personally, I’d much rather they omit the headphones, which tend to be lower quality and which people often replace (or have others around).

Buy.com has the Macally with free shipping (and it takes returns, if there’s any issue); sign up for Google payment and get $10 off.

Miikerman wrote:

The Kodak charger referenced above:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7693962

Milkerman,

Do you know if the Wally World charger’s output is compatible with the Clip? I don’t see the output specs on the Macally charger, so I can’t do an apples to apples comparison of the two.

http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=50

Obviously if I’d rather pay $10 for Wally World vs. $20, if the function of the two is the same.

I haven’t tried it and so can’t confirm. But what I’ve read here is that USB output is a set standard and so that is why there is this interchangeability of AC adapters (and why so many people report success with cellphone chargers, such as for the Motorola Razr; and my Mio GPS charger works as well).  You may want to try the Walmart if there’s a store nearby, in case you need to return it.  (Or do the Macally at buy.com using Google Checkout and save $10 that way.)  Sorry I don’t have other info.–it really would be nice if SanDisk had a list of verified chargers, if just for quality control purposes.

I haven’t tried it and so can’t confirm, but my assumption is that it is.  What I’ve read here is that USB output is a set standard and so that is why there is this interchangeability of AC adapters (and why so many people report success with cellphone chargers, such as for the Motorola Razr; and my Mio GPS charger works as well).  You may want to try the Walmart if there’s a store nearby, in case you need to return it.  (Or do the Macally at buy.com using Google Checkout and save $10 that way.)  Sorry I don’t have other info.–it really would be nice if SanDisk had a list of verified chargers, if just for quality control purposes.

Miikerman wrote:

I haven’t tried it and so can’t confirm, but my assumption is that it is.  What I’ve read here is that USB output is a set standard and so that is why there is this interchangeability of AC adapters (and why so many people report success with cellphone chargers, such as for the Motorola Razr; and my Mio GPS charger works as well).  You may want to try the Walmart if there’s a store nearby, in case you need to return it.  (Or do the Macally at buy.com using Google Checkout and save $10 that way.)  Sorry I don’t have other info.–it really would be nice if SanDisk had a list of verified chargers, if just for quality control purposes.

Milkerman:

Thanks for the Buy.com reference and I agree. It seems a reasonable request as a Sansa customer that Sansa could identify for us at least one or a couple of A/C adapters which the Sansa engineers confirm as being compatible with the Clip’s electrical specs, to avoid consumer problems from incompatible chargers, warranty issues, etc. Many customers will need, or would prefer to use, a wall charger vs. the PC for recharging the Clip,  such as my elderly father.

Any challenger to take on the market dominance of the iPod has to also encourage accessories for use with ts products. The iPod accessory market is huge and is an industry itself.

Sansa Reps, what say you???

CalKidWilly

Hi all!

The Macally web page is in need of updating.  As a footnote, it shows the e200 series as compatible; note that the new e200 v2 uses the identical processor, which has the same power management system, as the Clip.  The Sansa needs at least 200mA for proper charging.

I wish my old bones could recharge on 200mA…

Bob  :wink:

USB voltage is a standard. The clip determines the charging characteristics, not the USB charger. Did you make sure your computer USB’s were compatible?"

Message Edited by irs009 on 03-11-2008 11:03 AM

Bob, 200ma would be plenty to “charge your old bones”, if you left it hooked up long enough.:smiley:

I wanted to pass this information on:

I had checked with Macally as to the amp output of its SN-A411 AC charger (discussed above), and it’s a hefty 1 amp output.  Plenty powerful for the Clip and other applications.

I got the Scosche “ip3in1” USB home and car charging kit which has an AC charger (with nice fold-away prongs for traveling and 1 USB port) and DC (car) charger (with 2 USB ports).  The “ip3in1” is nearly identical to the Scosche “ip2in1” USB home and car charging kit except the “ip3in1” has 2 USB ports on the car charger versus only 1 USB port on the car charger in the “ip2in1” kit.  I thought, cool now I can charge both my Clip and phone in the car at the same time but I have a problem with that which I’ll get to in a minute.  Interestingly, the front packaging has ip3in1 listed in a box and the back packaging (on a separate piece of paper) says it’s ip2in1.  The output on both chargers is listed as 1 amp (it says 1A on the AC charger and 1000 MA on the DC charger).  Got the kit at Walmart for $15 and both work great at charging the Clip.

Here’s the problem: both the AC & DC chargers from Scosche will not charge my Moto Q phone using the USB cable provided with the phone (the same USB to mini-USB cable I use to ActiveSync and charge the phone while at work) or the Clip’s USB cable.  The AC adapter that came with the phone is listed as either 800 or 850 MA output so you would think that 1000 MA would be fine and the Q would be able to handle this extra bit of juice.  Any idea why the Q (or any device really) can’t handle the extra juice?  The Clip handles the extra just fine.

i use the charger for my motorola phone , and it works fine

Hey Miikerman!

Thanks for the update on the Macally charger.  I’d intended to call them countless times, and always ended up with more things on my plate.  I like the build quality of those beasties, and the folding plug, like the Motorola chargers I have.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Bob–  That was my situation as well and then today I jotted a quick email to their tech people–got a response within an hour.  Good to hear that it’s plenty powerful, for other applications as well (and I think that explains why it’s a bit bigger than the smallest of the chargers out there). 

@dgb52 wrote:
i use the charger for my motorola phone , and it works fine

Maybe it’s something about the Q.  Which Motorola phone do you have?  What’s the output of the original phone charger?

For whatever it’s worth, people have posted that their Razr chargers work fine with the Clip.

My Q charger works with the Clip too.  But I can’t figure out why other chargers (both with output of 1000 MA) which work with the Clip won’t work with the Q.

From what I’ve read here it appears that the Clip manages the power output to what it needs so you can use anything with at least 200 MA.  Wouldn’t the same hold true for the Q?  That is, since the original Q charger is 800 or 850 MA shouldn’t a charger providing at least 800 or 850 MA do the trick with the Q?

I know it’s off topic a bit but any help would be appreciated.