Check Out the Voice Recorder

I just downloaded the 01.01.18A firmware update for my 2GB Clip. The voice recorder works leaps and bounds better now. The old firmware (and my m200 players) recorded some kind of low bit rate file with the voice recorder. The new Clip firmware records 16 bit 24k sampled uncompressed wav files (Windows PCM). The audio quality is very good now. The files are larger, about 3MB per minute, but the improvement in sound quality is worth it.

I work in radio. This amazing little device would make a decent field recorder for news. The audio quality is good enough to use on the air. The sound quality is amazing when you consider the size of this thing and the tiny microphone behind the equally tiny hole in the plastic case.  Check it out!

Thanks for the info! I hadn’t even considered that the Firmware Upgrade would affect the Recorder.

I have used my Creative Zen Stone Plus for voice recording before, but the Clip seems like a much nicer device and a MUCH better GUI.

I just tried the recorder, and it is truly amazing. THe Automatic Level Control works well. It’s quite a bit better than the CZSP.

hi there i am thinking of buying an 8mb clip for my wife for christmas so she could  use the voice recorder as a dictaphone for dictating her insurance cases when she is out on call.how easy is it to upload the recording onto her computer and could she then sent it via email to her head office to be typed up, many thanks alex.

@1602 wrote:
hi there i am thinking of buying an 8mb clip for my wife for christmas so she could  use the voice recorder as a dictaphone for dictating her insurance cases when she is out on call.how easy is it to upload the recording onto her computer and could she then sent it via email to her head office to be typed up, many thanks alex.

I think you meant 8gb, not 8mb. :wink: It’s easy to use the recording feature of the Clip, just hit record, save it and then plug the Clip into your computer, find the ‘Recordings’ folder and copy and paste it to your computer hard drive. Then of course, if you want to put it in an email, you just send the .wav file as an attachment.

I didn’t notice any sound quality improvements to the recording compared to the last fw and I use the feature quite regularly. I actually seem to get a hissing sound in the background now for 15secs each time I record. Never used to…

@1602 wrote:

The Clip is perfect for dictation.  The recordings are uncompressed .wav format.  To transfer the recording, all one needs to do is plug the device in, open the Recordings folder, and go to the Voice folder.

These files are numbered sequentially by the Clip.  (The Fuze or e200 series identify the recordings with a time and date stamp.)

Drag and drop the file to the desktop, and convert it to MP3 with a readily available application, making it small enough to be sent as an e-mail attachment.

I make recordings regularly, and find the Sansa to be a wonderful voice recorder whenever the need arises.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: