Charging Sansa Clip + Question (With mini USB charger of mobile phone)

i have some question about charging issue :

• is it okay to charge clip + using mobile phone charger with mini USB jack (5v ~ 700mA), as i know, USB 2.0 spec is 5v ~ 500mA ?
  • is sansa have a circuit to handle charging process, for example cut-off the current when battery fully charged ?
  • after several hour connected to the computer, the display turn of itself… is it normal ? (so i have to press any button to see the screensaver and check the charging status)

thanks for answer my question… hehhe :smiley:

Yes, yes, and yes.

@gwk1967 wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

wow, short and complete answers… hehehhe

as my question is too long… hahha…

hemmm… how many hour clip+ can stay unplugged ? (in a real world) ~ not 15 hour by Sandisk.

When charging, to help preserve the display, the display turns off after, I believe, an hour.  As you saw, pressing a button on the Clip starts the display up again.

Battery duration depends on lots of factors:  file type, button pressing, volume, etc.  People often report in the 10 or 10+ hour range. 

@miikerman wrote:

When charging, to help preserve the display, the display turns off after, I believe, an hour.  As you saw, pressing a button on the Clip starts the display up again.

Battery duration depends on lots of factors:  file type, button pressing, volume, etc.  People often report in the 10 or 10+ hour range. 

okay, now i’m sure i can use any miniUSB charger, because clip+ has its own circuit to handle charging process…

i’m going to make a customised usb cable, with disabled Data pin, so i can charge clip+ via computer and i can use it while connected. is it hurt my laptop’s USB ? cos USB port can’t communicate with USB device about how many current to give .

i love my clip+ much, so i have to use it carefully … hahahhaha

You can use any charger, but be sure it is 5V and not above that (above will fry your Clip).  Around 350mA and above (although around 500 mA and above is better) is fine–the Clip will use the amperage it needs.

Yep, you can disable the data pins and everything should be ok.  Just be sure you know what you are doing as to which pins.  Many people report being able to get to the same end just by not fully inserting the USB cable into the computer, or by covering the data pins.  Also, you can buy charge-only USB cables–I have a couple of those.  

Note that when you connect to your computer, you still can play the Clip’s files, via the computer itself (not the Clip) and media playing software that is pointed at and playing the songs on the Clip.  

@miikerman wrote:

You can use any charger, but be sure it is 5V and not above that (above will fry your Clip).  Around 350mA and above (although around 500 mA and above is better) is fine–the Clip will use the amperage it needs.

so, 5v ~ 700mA is okay for my clip+…

btw, thanks for ur fast response & answers… Sandisk Forum is one of the fastest response among another forum…
thanks Sandisk to provide this forum, so we can share our knowledge about Sandisk product…

bravo Sandisk…

Happy to help (and thanks for the thanks)–we’re both online at the same time.

Your charger should be fine, for the Clip and other accessories.  Personally, I always like a charger that is for 500 mA and above–gives you versatility to use it for other products as well. 

If most people say the clip+ stays charged for about 10 hours …how come mine plays for about 3 hours?!

Should I charge it more or less than 3 hours?

Please help me, I need around 7 hours for my bus trips:cry:

@lousseau wrote:

If most people say the clip+ stays charged for about 10 hours …how come mine plays for about 3 hours?!

Should I charge it more or less than 3 hours?

Please help me, I need around 7 hours for my bus trips:cry:

Many things can affect battery life . . . format of files being played, volume, backlight, fiddling with the buttons, etc.

thanks! I read that many times.

I clip it on my lapel and let it play, that’s why I wonder why it lasts only 3 hours?

Bought it 3 weeks ago, should I return it???

What types of files?

Having said that, it sounds to me like there is a product defect; I’d go back to the store and exchange for another–3 hours is not the norm.

Answer : mp3 audio files

Thanks a lot  Guru Miikerman,

I think I will take it back to the store, though it played 5 hours on the last charge.

5 hours with mp3 definitely is not right nor the norm.  Yep, exchange it.  Good luck!

I am not familiar with technical info

please help me find out if my wall charger is ok for my Clip+

it reads        I/P: AC 100-240V  50/60Hz 0.15A

O/P:DC 5V  1A  5W Max

Since the amperage seems to make a difference in the charging speed and efficiency I don’t know on wich Amp data I should rely.

It’s the output that you need to look at.

You should be fine.  The Clips want 5V (more will blow the Clips out) and around 350 mA (better is 500 mA) or greater (500mA is what the Clips get when connected to your computer, and what they are designed for) --with the amperage, the Clips will take what they need, and so the higher amperage is not an issue.

It’s the output (O/P) that you need to look at.

You should be fine.  The Clips want 5V (more will blow the Clips out) and around 350 mA (better is 500 mA) or greater (500mA is what the Clips get when connected to your computer, and what they are designed for) --with the amperage, the Clips will take what they need, and so the higher amperage is not an issue.

Thank you Miikerman

So … if I get this right, my charger is 1A=1000mA.  Does that mean my Clip will take less than 3 hours to be fully charged?

1A is 1000 milliamps (go metric!)

The rating on the charger is just the maximum power you can safely draw from it before it’ll overheat, burn out, or catch fire.  Its not the amount of current the clip draws (which is decided by the voltage regulator that actually charges the battery).  The clip always charges at about the same speed, which is roughly half an hour to get half charged, then another hour or two to get the rest of the way.

Your charger will charge faster than a charger at 350mA. But above the about 500 mA point, as I understand it, you’re pretty much capped (or any gain would be small).