Can't add files to my Sansa Clip

I just got a Clip 8G. Have never liked WMP or iTunes, because I have all my media on an external driver that I drag from location to location, and this seems to confuse the ■■■■ out of both players.

Anyway, I usually just dragged’n’dropped on my old iRiver (no comments, plz) until it went into the ocean with me.

Now I’m trying to drag’n’drop an album from WinXPsp2 File Explorer to the Music folder on the Clip. It creates the album’s folder but refuses to copy ANY .mp3 file. 

Copy from “E:\My Music\Aerosmith\Toys In The Attic”  (yea, yea, just the first in alphabetic order)

To “My Computer\Sansa Clip 8GB\Internal Memory\Music\Toys In The Attic”

the file “01 Toys In The Attic.mp3”

And I get “Error Copying File” / “Cannot copy 01 Toys In The Attic.mp3: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.”

Used my cable, used the cable that came with it. Disconnected/reconnected, you know, the whole getting it recognized merry-go-round. The device says ‘Connected’, shows icons, has the scrollaway SanDisk logo, rotates through these. It plays what came on it, the FM works fine, it records FM and Voice. Would be nice to get some of my music on it without a 10-day research project.

PS: WMP(11) can’t find any of the files on this drive, even though it has the full listing of all the files on this drive, and their ‘Property’ values match the directory on the drive exactly. I can play them dbl-clk direct from File Explorer w/ WMP, though.

Now I remember why I hardly ever listen to music anymore. I have to put 40G of music on every machine in the house, or spend $1000 with Sonos to serve it to all the systems.