Can't add files to my Sansa Clip

When I plug my Clip into the computer it loads properly and everything looks fine but when I try to add any music I get an error message which says ‘cannot copy file: the device had either stop responding or has been disconnected’. This is obviously wrong as on the actual Clip screen it says ‘connected’ and shows the little animation. I’ve formatted the device and the problem still persists.

Anyone got any solutions?

Are you using MTP or MSC mode? Don’t use the Auto-Defect setting.

What does the op mean by everything looks fine. What is he looking at and in which mode. Is he using windows explorer or software like WMP or Rhapsody. 

Sounds like a Windows Explorer error message to me, but it would be nice if he (or she) would log in again and give us some more details.

It’s pretty frustrating when someone asks for help, but doesn’t give enough information in order for anyone to really help them. And then to not respond to the qualifying questions that are asked is even more annoying.

That’s OK . . . I didn’t have anything better to do anyway. I’m only at work. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just got a Clip 8G. Have never liked WMP or iTunes, because I have all my media on an external driver that I drag from location to location, and this seems to confuse the ■■■■ out of both players.

Anyway, I usually just dragged’n’dropped on my old iRiver (no comments, plz) until it went into the ocean with me.

Now I’m trying to drag’n’drop an album from WinXPsp2 File Explorer to the Music folder on the Clip. It creates the album’s folder but refuses to copy ANY .mp3 file. 

Copy from “E:\My Music\Aerosmith\Toys In The Attic”  (yea, yea, just the first in alphabetic order)

To “My Computer\Sansa Clip 8GB\Internal Memory\Music\Toys In The Attic”

the file “01 Toys In The Attic.mp3”

And I get “Error Copying File” / “Cannot copy 01 Toys In The Attic.mp3: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.”

Used my cable, used the cable that came with it. Disconnected/reconnected, you know, the whole getting it recognized merry-go-round. The device says ‘Connected’, shows icons, has the scrollaway SanDisk logo, rotates through these. It plays what came on it, the FM works fine, it records FM and Voice. Would be nice to get some of my music on it without a 10-day research project.

PS: WMP(11) can’t find any of the files on this drive, even though it has the full listing of all the files on this drive, and their ‘Property’ values match the directory on the drive exactly. I can play them dbl-clk direct from File Explorer w/ WMP, though.

Now I remember why I hardly ever listen to music anymore. I have to put 40G of music on every machine in the house, or spend $1000 with Sonos to serve it to all the systems. 

kelleyw wrote:

Now I’m trying to drag’n’drop an album from WinXPsp2 File Explorer to the Music folder on the Clip. It creates the album’s folder but refuses to copy ANY .mp3 file. 

Copy from “E:\My Music\Aerosmith\Toys In The Attic”  (yea, yea, just the first in alphabetic order)

To “My Computer\Sansa Clip 8GB\Internal Memory\Music\Toys In The Attic”

the file “01 Toys In The Attic.mp3”

And I get “Error Copying File” / “Cannot copy 01 Toys In The Attic.mp3: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.”

Try switching your player to MSC mode in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and see if theat helps with dragging & dropping your files.

kelleyw wrote:

Now I'm trying to drag'n'drop an album from WinXPsp2 File Explorer to the Music folder on the Clip. It creates the album's folder but refuses to copy ANY .mp3 file. 

Copy from "E:\My Music\Aerosmith\Toys In The Attic"  (yea, yea, just the first in alphabetic order)

To "My Computer\Sansa Clip 8GB\Internal Memory\Music\Toys In The Attic"

the file "01 Toys In The Attic.mp3"

And I get "Error Copying File" / "Cannot copy 01 Toys In The Attic.mp3: The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected."

Try switching your player to MSC mode in Settings > System Settings > USB Mode and see if that helps with dragging & dropping your files.

Switched to MSC. Now can drag and drop, but none of the folder/files already on the Clip are visible. So I dropped them blind under ‘Podcasts’, then looked on the Clip, and they’re (unexpectedly) under the correct subfolder for the radio show the podcasts came from.

Also, Clip had no probs being seen, and doing the drag n drop on the PC at work, same OS. 

WMP and Real can send music, but don’t see the ‘Podcast’ or ‘Audiobooks’ folders.

Editorial: I am finally understanding why APPLE-heads love their mono-culture. So few combinations, all from the same vendor, all built to work together. As opposed to the Windows world, where there are so many combinations, from so many vendors, that every single installation is a one-off. What a clusterfork! If I didn’t make a living writing Windows-based system software for manufacturers, I’d drop this pain like a hot rock.

The MSC-MTP mode issue:

When your player is connected to your computer under USB MSC mode (set under the player’s Settings/USB Mode), your computer only sees the files that had been transferred to the player when the player was connected under MSC mode.  Likewise as to MTP mode.  Regardless, allthe files show up and are playable on your player, under whatever USB mode setting.

A good reason why some people prefer to set the USB Mode on their player to either MSC or MTP:  on the Auto setting, the player tries to connect under MTP mode but then will fall back to MSC mode if the MTP connection does not work; the result being, you may have a mix of MSC and MTP mode transferred files on your player, making some of them not visible on your computer without switching to the other USB mode. 

Because MSC mode is more universal (playing with a broader range of operating systems, including Linux and on Macs, and without a need for Windows Media Player on the computer), some people prefer MSC mode.  However, note that DRM (digital rights management) files need MTP mode–they will not transfer sufficiently (the DRM license will not transfer) under MSC mode. 

I have a similar issue.  I can see my podcast files if I click on the Clip using Explorer, but I can’t see them if I use the Sansa window with all the options (which disappears if the Clip is set to MSC and reappears if it is set to MTP). Also, I tried making a new folder and it appears that can’t be done. I have an older Clip with the Version 1.01.35A update.  A friend of mine just got a refurbished Clip from Woot and it has a version 2. something on it.  I posted a question regarding that one already about the same folder issue.

Is there an explanation about all this file business posted somewhere so I don’t have to keep bothering people for an explanation each time something weird happens? The manual doesn’t seem to cover any of this.

Thanks

Help !

I cannot see my clip at all when I connect it to my PC.

It charges okay but when I go into My Computer it is nowhere to be seen, tried all the different modes, any other suggestions???

Try:

With the Clip off, put it into hold state (on switch down so that the orange shows) and connect it to your computer while holding the center button down.  This forces an MSC mode connection.

nothings happens when I try that.  Should the clip show something on its screen when connected???

:frowning:

Yep, it should show that you are connected, if it works.  Sorry …

ok, thanks for trying to help. Bought this for my holiday which I’m off on in a couple of days, gonna have to admit defeat and buy something else instead! :cry:

It very likely could be something with your computer.  A few years back, my MP3 player wouldn’t show in my computer, and I traced it to be a Windows issue where Windows was assigning the player the same drive letter as a pre-existing device on the computer.  The solution was going to the Drive Management section of Windows and manually assigning a new drive letter for the player.  Windows is supposed to do this automatically but, for some reason, slips up sometimes.  (This was with a Windows XP system.)  You might want to look into this on your computer.

You also could call SanDisk for help.  In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us

Again, I think it may be how your computer is connecting, not the Clip.