Can't Read Screen

Hi, folks, I need a bit of advice.  I’ve loved my Clip for about a year now - it’s about the greatest little machine ever.  But recently I’ve developed some eye problems and my vision is deteriorating pretty rapidly;  at this point, I can no longer read the screen on my Clip.

Does anyone know a way to make the text larger?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, it’s not possible with the Clip’s firmware.  If Rockbox–an alternate firmware–ever comes for the Clip, it’s possible.  (It still is in development–unknown if it will be completed.)  Rockbox works on some other SanDisk players (as well as others).  You might want to check it out at rockbox.org.

Perhaps raising the brightness up might help a bit?

I hate to say it, but this might be a case where a new iPod Shuffle could be handy, with its voice system.

@miikerman wrote:

Perhaps raising the brightness up might help a bit?

I hate to say it, but this might be a case where a new iPod Shuffle could be handy, with its voice system.

Unfortunately, the brightness is already maxed out.  And believe it or not, I already considered the Shuffle solution, but my longstanding refusal to be manipulated into using iTunes reared its ugly head and forced me to discard the idea.

It’s annoying, because I can read the nice big “goodbye” perfectly when the Clip is shutting down, but pretty much nothing else.  I love this thing enough, though, that I’m willing to simply carry a small magnifying glass around with me.

I will look at a different Sansa, though.  Do you have any recommendations?  Obviously, I’m not concerned with video since I wouldn’t be able to see it anyhow.

Thanks for your answer.

If you’re interested in Rockbox, here’s the Rockbox info. for Sansa players, including the models it works with.  Rockbox is very vision-impaired friendly.

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaFAQ

An uncle of mine had severely compromised vision, and that vision was only in one eye. He used a two-lens loupe that clipped to his glasses. It was like the second item on this page

http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm\_source=internal&utm\_medium=search&utm\_content=cf&utm\_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=131&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=loupe&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0

or

American Science and Surplus

Using this he was able to read the newspaper. He had to hold the paper just about two inches from his eye to read it, but he could read it. Might help you read your Clip.