Can I use Itunes

I really don’t like the idea of having to pay a monthly fee to use the Sansa.

Is it possible to download itunes to my sansa clip and not pay the monthly fee?

What makes you think you have to pay a monthly fee? You can load it up with your own (unprotected) songs just fine without any kind of music management program with simple drag-and-drop.

Do you drag and drop straight from your Itunes account?

There was a card in my packet that says, “Install the Rhapsody Software on your PC and create and account.  Creating an account is the only way to activate all of the features on your new SanDisk Sansa Clip.”

As far as I know, you have to convert Itunes format music before it will play on the Sansa.  One way to do that is to burn the itunes music to CD, then rip and encode to .mp3 or .ogg or any other supported format.

You can however play music ripped to mp3 from your own CDs or purchased from other services like emusic or amazon or walmart without any conversion.

I think what that card you saw should say is “Install the Rhapsody Software on your PC and create and account.  Creating an account is the only way to activate all of the Rhapsody  features on your new SanDisk Sansa Clip.”

You can safely toss the Rhapsody disc in the trash and your Clip will still work just fine. As for using songs from iTunes, it depends on the file format and whether the tracks are encrypted or not. The Clip plays MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG and Audible files. It WON’T play AAC files, the default format for songs purchased through iTunes.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 02-22-2009 05:40 PM

@gwk1967 wrote:
You can safely toss the Rhapsody disc in the trash and your Clip will still work just fine. As for using songs from iTunes, it depends on the file format and whether the tracks are encrypted or not. The Clip plays MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG and Audible files. It WON’T play AAC files, the default format for songs purchased through iTunes.
Message Edited by gwk1967 on 02-22-2009 05:40 PM

You forgot FLAC :wink:

@d_headshot wrote:

You forgot FLAC :wink:

Yes, I did. D’oh!

Thanks guys!  This is way cool.

I trashed the Rhapsody ■■■■ and downloaded my music.  It works! 

I still have to figure out how to convert the music I purchased from iTunes. (I’ll do that when I have more time to play).

I almost returned my SanDisk.  Glad you guys were able to help.

If I recall correctly, you can have iTunes export your music, as long as it is DRM-free, in MP3 format, for playing on the Clip.  You only need to burn a disc and re-rip if the music is DRM’ed. 

@msdecibel wrote:

I still have to figure out how to convert the music I purchased from iTunes. (I’ll do that when I have more time to play).

It’s easy to covert your music to mp3 format in itunes. All you have to do is select the song, right click on it and select “create mp3 version.”  I discovered this after accidentally importing all of my cds into itunes in the wrong format. After that, you can simply drag and drop your music from itunes into your sansa folder.

@spankachu_too wrote:

@msdecibel wrote:

It’s easy to covert your music to mp3 format in itunes. All you have to do is select the song, right click on it and select “create mp3 version.”  I discovered this after accidentally importing all of my cds into itunes in the wrong format. After that, you can simply drag and drop your music from itunes into your sansa folder.

This works as well but I have noticed that there are sometimes drops in Quality when you do this. There is a drop when you burn and re-rip but its easier to manage IMO.

@spankachu_too wrote:

@msdecibel wrote:

Thanks for the tip–searched like a demon and Apple just doesn’t want this to be known … imagine that.