Can I put music from the iTunes store on my Clip?

I want to buy some music from the iTunes which only seems to be available there and nowhere else. I originally tried the Rhapsody 30 day trial but that’s US only…

I heard that music from the iTunes store is encoded in AAC at 128kbps but will this play on my Clip? 

@ackers wrote:

I want to buy some music from the iTunes which only seems to be available there and nowhere else. I originally tried the Rhapsody 30 day trial but that’s US only…

I heard that music from the iTunes store is encoded in AAC at 128kbps but will this play on my Clip? 

Not as AAC.  The Clip supports MP3, WAV, WMA, secure WMA, and Audible. 

BUT, if the music is available from iTunes Plus (non-DRM AAC), you can convert it to MP3, and then load it onto your Clip.  iTunes will allow you to convert non-DRM AAC to MP3, just right click on the song(s) and select “Create MP3 Version”.

itunes will however let you burn the tracks to a cd. once the tracks have been burned to a cd you can rerip the files as drm free mp3s

@drlucky wrote:
itunes will however let you burn the tracks to a cd. once the tracks have been burned to a cd you can rerip the files as drm free mp3s

Oh yeah!  Cool.  Just make sure to burn an audio CD, not an MP3 CD.

CAUTION!:

If you convert your AAC files to MP3’s with Itunes, your Clip won’t recognize them due to proper tag issues. The Clip will dump everything into “Unknown” album folder. You can scroll files under Songs only. No artist or album folders!

I am not sure whether or not the newest version of Itunes software does the conversion properly. (remember, the windows explorer will show the album and artist folders, not the Clip!)

However, there is a great solution. With free software  http://bonkenc.org/   you can convert AAC files with proper tags. I did it. Now, my Clip recognizes artist and album names. That’s how I enjoy listening to music, picking albums on List.

Make sure you read FAQ’s on this site to make changes such as bit rate. Just save your new mp3 files in a different folder.

Couldn’t you simply retag the files?

Yeah I just did the burn to cd and rip it as mp3 route. The tags were showing as ‘unknown’ but fixed that easily with MP3Tag software (great tool).

Ackers;

I am glad things turned out okay for you.

Could either you or Miikerman briefly explain how to use this mp3tag software? Do you drag the files to convert? Does it create new files with proper tags?

I’d appreciate it.

Sure. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, get it here http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

It’s really easy to use. All you do is right click an mp3, click MP3Tag and the program will open where you can easily manually fill in the tags - when you’re done, don’t forget to hit ‘Save’! Then if you want, you can convert the tag into the file name. So if you have an mp3 which is named ‘unknown artist - unknown song.mp3’ you can convert it with a click of a button to rename it to ‘Feeder - 02 Buck Rogers.mp3’ or whatever as long as the ID3tags are already there. Just saves you from having to do it all manually. Comes in especially handy for albums since you just highlight all the tracks and MP3Tag will do it all for you.

If you need any more help, just ask! ;) 

Ackers, thanks.

I thought I could let mp3tag do all the hard work:smiley: while connected to Internet. If you manually enter all the info. you have to find original CD jewel cases:angry:

I have close to 8000 songs (pretty much all albums). could I use mp3tag to tag them automatically with the help of CDDB?

Manually doing this would be a nightmare.

My guess is that the MP3s that are created by iTunes have tags, just not the ones that the Clip wants.  (IDv31 vs IDv32 or whatever, someone else can supply the details.)  There are definitely utilities out there which can batch-copy tags from one set of fields to the other.  Not sure about MP3tag.

@stepk wrote:

Ackers, thanks.

I thought I could let mp3tag do all the hard work:smiley: while connected to Internet. If you manually enter all the info. you have to find original CD jewel cases:angry:

I have close to 8000 songs (pretty much all albums). could I use mp3tag to tag them automatically with the help of CDDB?

Manually doing this would be a nightmare.

You should be able to go to your library in WMP and where all your albums are stored, just right click the album and hit ‘update album info’ and all the tags and album art should be there.