Broken clip on Sansa Clip+

There seems to be a lot of people having this issue, for me it is the second time.  The first time it was still under warranty so they replaced with a new unit.  I have only had my current one for less then 4 months but the original one was purchased over a year ago, so no longer covered.

I think that is ridiculous that SanDisk does not offer a solution when the clip breaks. I am not looking for a freebie, just a solution.  I would pay for a new part but that does not seem to be an option.  I found silicon covers, but they all seem to be open in the back so you can use the clip.  Does anyone know of a case that includes a clip on the back?  I have seen that others with this issue have glued on a clip, I would prefer a more elegant solution.

Tech support offered me 10% off if I wanted to purchase a new unit from them.  Big deal 10% off of MSRP is not a great deal, they go on sale for less.  I am not likely to purchase a new one because I feel the clip will break off again!  Poor exterior design.

One possible solution:  TekTabs, a low-profile glue-on plastic and metal loop for small items, to which you can attach a caribiner, for example.  

Still free after rebate if purchased from Fry’s Electronics / frys.com by July 30 (and currently with free shipping, no less–a no-brainer deal, it seems to me, if you can live with rebates, which Tec Tabs seems to be good about).   :slight_smile:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/Nearly-free-substitute-Clip-clip-after-rebate/td-p/276982

I have been using  Clip and Clip+ players  for over 3 years, and never broke a clip on any of them. What are you clipping the player to? Imo clipping it to a belt is a bad idea. Clipping it to a belt loop on your pants would put much less pressure on the clip than clipping it to a belt. I usually clip mine to my shirt.

Some have mentioned that Costco sold Clip Zip players with a metal clip. I don’t know if they still sell them.

@jk98 wrote:

I have been using  Clip and Clip+ players  for over 3 years, and never broke a clip on any of them. What are you clipping the player to? Imo clipping it to a belt is a bad idea. Clipping it to a belt loop on your pants would put much less pressure on the clip than clipping it to a belt. I usually clip mine to my shirt.

Some have mentioned that Costco sold Clip Zip players with a metal clip. I don’t know if they still sell them.

Agreed the Clip+ and Zip players have a very sturdy clip design. But they are not bullet-proof. As far as the metal clipped ones sold at Costco, I believe only the clip arm itself is metal, or metal-capped plastic. The hinge part is still part of the molded plastic back. This seems to be the weakest part and where most break under repeated and.or undue stress, so doubt whether this would really be any stronger.

Thank you Miikerman, I did order the TekTab and it is not exactly the same but this works.  FYI - the TekTab included 4 tabs, so l attached one to my phone, very simple but very cool product.

As to JK98, I was clipping it to my shirt, so I was not being hard on the clip.  It is just a bad design that allows the clip to break off easily and it can not be replaced.  I googled this problem and found more then just this msg board of people complaining about the clip breaking.  So I guess you are just lucky that yours has not broken.  But the fact that I have had 2 break in 18 months tells me they break easily. 

SanDisk will need to re-design to have a replaceable clip before I would consider purchasing another player. 

Good to hear!  Someone recently posted about gluing an ACCO fastener to the back of the Clip, and it looks like it also works–and you have the clip functionality (which the Tek Tab doesn’t have).  The fasteners are available at Amazon. com and Staples (for something like 8 for $10)–try a search here or at the anythingbutipod.com forums for more info (search on ACCO).

I have had my Sansa for probably 3 years, and the clip just finally broke a few months ago.  I certainly did not abuse it…I clip it to my shoulder strap.  I am very frustrated that Sansa is not offering replacements on these clips. the main reason I bought it in the first place was the ability to clip it on and not worry about it falling out of a pocket or having to hold it.  :angry:

I checked out the ACCO clip fastener  - that thing appears to be larger than my Sansa Clip unit!!  Is that the case?  If so, I don’t see how it would be useful.

My guess is. there are different ACCO fastener sizes. The post, with pic, posted here and at the anythingbutipod.com Clip forum about it (did you search for the post?) show the ACCO fastener as smaller than the back of the Clip.

I’ve been using the clip products for @ 3 years also.

All of my clips have broken. Usually they break after about 9 months.

I clip it to my waistband on my gym shorts when I walk in the mornings.

I am not putting pressure on it at all.

I really like the player as I play flac format. The sound quality is great.

The little clip goodie is horrible.

I wish I could find a decent glue on replacement.

I am on my 5th unit in 3 years.

Imo it is not a good idea to clip a Clip+ or Clip Zip to a belt or waistband. Clipping it to a shirt seems much better. If you must clip it to your pants, a belt loop that is on the side seems like the best place.

i had sheared the clip off my clip zip a few months ago and went online to get ideas how to fix it. here’s the solution i came up with…

i ordered a simple money clip from amazon for ~$5…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00863FBIO

i dremel’ed off the excess plastic on the back so it was a flat surface and then super-glued the money clip to the back. the shape of this particular clip fits perfect as the little “lip” part wraps under the bottom edge giving extra support. i also “spread” the clip a little before gluing on to make it less tight when slipping it over things like the edge of your waistband…

i also ordered this aftermarket rubber jacket for the clip…

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZI5DYK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

which covers up the glue mess and makes it barely noticeable as a hack…

…hope this helps someone out there that has run into this problem. it’s a great little mp3 player and i use it more than any other device.

Awesome job! :smiley:

I’m sure the same thing could be done with an after-market spring clip too. One just needs to find one that they like . . . and have access to a dremel tool or file to get the back smooth first.

I would think though, that a 2-part expoxy adhesive might be better than super-glue as a long-term solution.

Great looking repair job.  :)

Fortunately, I haven’t had an issue with clipping my Clips to a belt loop (so not too thick fabric) as a general matter, or a shirt pocket.

Here is a 3D printed replacement clip.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2524653