Big card + refreshing = Pain

Was wondering why there are so many requests for option to disable the database refreshing. Now my card has arrived, so I see why… Holy Zarquon…

Connect to PC, transfer a podcast to listen on the go, disconnect, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait… waaaaait… w…

Especially annoying if you do not use the database at all.

Developers, please make the firmware better, please make it optional…

The inflexibility of these players is annoying. The thing I find most annoying is the use of a built in battery, rather than an easily swappable one that can be charged outside the player. The lack of variable speed playback(with automatic pitch correction) is so annoying when playing podcasts. When a speaker is speaking too slowly, when I am playing the podcast on my pc using Windows Media Player, I boost the play speed to 1.4x or 1.5x, and the pitch is automatically corrected. On my mp3 players, I can only boost the speed slightly(perhaps only around 20%?), and the pitch is not corrected, so the voice does not sound natural. Because of this, thefast setting is basically useless.

I would also like to be able to customize the display, and have what I want displayed, and be able to choose the font size.

Way to stay on-topic there, JK. :stuck_out_tongue:

JK98 wrote:

The inflexibility of these players is annoying. The thing I find most annoying is the use of a built in battery, rather than an easily swappable one that can be charged outside the player. The lack of variable speed playback(with automatic pitch correction) is so annoying when playing podcasts. When a speaker is speaking too slowly, when I am playing the podcast on my pc using Windows Media Player, I boost the play speed to 1.4x or 1.5x, and the pitch is automatically corrected. On my mp3 players, I can only boost the speed slightly(perhaps only around 20%?), and the pitch is not corrected, so the voice does not sound natural. Because of this, thefast setting is basically useless.

I would also like to be able to customize the display, and have what I want displayed, and be able to choose the font size.

Some things never change.:neutral_face:

“Some things never change. :neutral_face:

It would be nice if Sandisk would make players that are more flexible.

When using these inflexible players, a quote comes to  mind.

“Men have become the tools of their tools”- Henry David Thoreau

JK98 wrote:

“Some things never change. :neutral_face:

It would be nice if Sandisk would make players that are more flexible.

It would be nice if people would learn how to properly quote someone by using the Quote button, so people know who said what rather than just cutting & pasting text and putting quotations marks around it.

Imo.

JK98 why aren’t you using rockbox?  Seems like something you would like.

I’m with ya on this one!  It’s VERY annoying!  When I’m done managing my music from my PC, then want to listen to my player, I have to wait like 10-15 minutes for it to refresh!   I have an 8GB player with a 16GB card, with over 2,000 songs.  You can imagine how long it takes to refresh!

But now it freezes up and won’t even work, so that’s another subject.

Hairball wrote:

I’m with ya on this one!  It’s VERY annoying!  When I’m done managing my music from my PC, then want to listen to my player, I have to wait like 10-15 minutes for it to refresh!   I have an 8GB player with a 16GB card, with over 2,000 songs.  You can imagine how long it takes to refresh!

But now it freezes up and won’t even work, so that’s another subject.

I don’t have to imagine . . . 8 minutes max. Just find something else to do for those 8 minutes; go to the bathroom, get a snack, check your e-mail, read a few posts on the forum here. Really, its not that long.

I sure you probably waste more time than that texting your firends or delving into other people’s lives on Facebook. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hairball wrote:

Great! Back on-topic . . .

I don’t have to imagine . . . 8 minutes max. Just find something else to do for those 8 minutes; go to the bathroom, get a snack, check your e-mail, read a few posts on the forum here. Really, its not that long.

I sure you probably waste more time than that texting your firends or sharing your last fingernail clipping session on Facebook. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hairball wrote:

I sure you probably waste more time than that texting your friends or sharing your last fingernail clipping session on Facebook.

Maybe even coughing up a you-know-what!  :stuck_out_tongue:

Tapeworm wrote:

Hairball wrote:

I sure you probably waste more time than that texting your friends or sharing your last fingernail clipping session on Facebook.

Maybe even coughing up a you-know-what!  :stuck_out_tongue:

8 minutes? :dizzy_face:

Mine only takes about 5 minutes,  and that is with 3,600+ songs on it and 200MB reserved for podcasts. Longest so far was 5  minutesand 15 seconds, when I had exactly 3,700 songs on it.:wink:

Marvin_Martian wrote:

8 minutes? :dizzy_face:

Mine only takes about 5 minutes,  and that is with 3,600+ songs on it and 200MB reserved for podcasts. Longest so far was 5  minutesand 15 seconds, when I had exactly 3,700 songs on it.:wink:

You’re right Marvin. . . 8 minutes is for a full refresh with my e280 and a full 16GB card. The Fuze and Clip+ are faster at refreshing. I’ve only got FLACs on my Clip+ at the moment and haven’t filled up the new 16GB card I got for it yet, so only have about 700 tracks at the moment.

Which only proves it’s even less of an inconvenience than others are making it out to be. :smiley:

Tapeworm wrote: 

[…] Just find something else to do for those 8 minutes […]

I’ve started this topic during the refresh — instead of using my Clip. Sometimes I speak in tongues. Sometimes I think about why I should wait for a feature I do not even use. Once, after I swapped cards on a train, I’ve tried to communicate with a human, expressing my views on the weather. Mainly I sit and think about the imperfections of life, snails and recursively enumerable set paradox. So I can find what to do during the refresh, you see. The thing that annoys me is that I have to do it instead of listening.

notgod wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

[…] Just find something else to do for those 8 minutes […]

I’ve started this topic during the refresh — instead of using my Clip. Sometimes I speak in tongues. Sometimes I think about why I should wait for a feature I do not even use. Once, after I swapped cards on a train, I’ve tried to communicate with a human, expressing my views on the weather. Mainly I sit and think about the imperfections of life, snails and recursively enumerable set paradox. So I can find what to do during the refresh, you see. The thing that annoys me is that I have to do it instead of listening.

Very nice! :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, there are things that I have to do that annoys me too, but that’s life. Choose your battles wisely, and don’t sweat the small stuff. :wink:

or just avoid the refresh by using rockbox

@summerlove wrote:

On the Clip+ you still need the Sansa firmware to transfer files. And after you do that, you get the refresh.

The wait is annoying and shouldn’t last that long, but too bad there’s nothing you can do about it.

@7o9 wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

On the Clip+ you still need the Sansa firmware to transfer files. And after you do that, you get the refresh.

The wait is annoying and shouldn’t last that long, but too bad there’s nothing you can do about it.

That’s not true, you just reset it once the refresh restarts and boot RB.