Automatically generate playlists for folders

If I understand correctly what you’re saying, then I’m afraid not. The playlists themselves are ordered by the Clip. There’s no way to change that.

Here is an example of what I mean ( a few playlists):

Tracy Chapman - Our Bright Future - MUSIC.m3u8

Manu Chao-La Radiolina - MUSIC.m3u8

I See A Darkness - Bonnie  ‘‘Prince’’  Billy.m3u8

The Living Road - Lhasa De Sela.m3u8

The first two have the artist name in front and the 3rd and 4th the album name.

Rij, why not just use the Clip’s “albumn” option?

Hey everyone!  This looks like a great tool! I have one a couple of questions though:

1. What file format the the “Sansa View” use for playlsits

and, that being said:

2.  Can I use this to make playlists for my “Sansa View”

3.  If not, what can I use? Is there a similar program?

I don’t have my “Sansa View” yet, so I can’t test it, but I expect to arrive soon and would like to know how to make playlists.

Thanks!

XC Fan

XCFan, the View is quite like the Clip, so it’s probably OK to use my program with it too. Other than that, you could also use any desktop media player to create M3U playlists (WMP, WinAmp, etc.)

@rijnton wrote:

Here is an example of what I mean ( a few playlists):

Tracy Chapman - Our Bright Future - MUSIC.m3u8

Manu Chao-La Radiolina - MUSIC.m3u8

I See A Darkness - Bonnie  ‘‘Prince’’  Billy.m3u8

The Living Road - Lhasa De Sela.m3u8

The first two have the artist name in front and the 3rd and 4th the album name. 

This is probably because the first two folders are named as “Artist - Album”. The name genaration works better if you have an “Artist” folder containing one or more “Album” folders.

You could either rename the folders or separate them and run AutoM3U twice with different settings, changing the name generation order. Anyway, I’m planning to have a preview function in the next version that I hope will make things like this easier. It will let you see the playlists before they are created and let you modify their names, song order etc.

i wish i found your program before i went and wrote mine. oh well, it only took me 1 hour. im uploading it here.
it has no user intrace. place it in F:\MUSIC and run it.

features:

• creates separate m3u playlists for each directory and its subdirectories
  • place this program in source directory and run it
  • each playlist will contain mp3 files that are in directory and all its subdirectories
  • each playlist is named after its directory.
      at the beginning of playlist name in parantheses is also the number of items it contains.
  • each playlist is placed in directory which is source of its mp3 files
  • if playlist with that name already exists it is overwritten.
  • source code is small (180 lines), written in easy language Euphoria
      and can be easily customized

here it is, 70 k, both exe and source included:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yd3wz1zhciz

Message Edited by logicpopeye on 02-26-2009 06:51 PM

Message Edited by logicpopeye on 02-26-2009 06:54 PM

Elias,

Do I load songs directly through your program? And can I have as many individual playlists as I choose? When I sync through Windows Media Player and add a playlist, it overwrites my previous playlist. Does your program do away with WMP altogether? Is there some detailed step-by-step instruction for your program?

Regards,

crooner

Hiya Logicpopeye,

Will this work for other formats besided mp3? I have some wma formatted files that I would like to add to the play lists

Thanx,

Ron V.

@eliasf wrote:

@sinocelt wrote:

The option to not include the source folder in the playlist name would be great. Right now, I’ve got folders inside folders, so I use your “Grandparent - Parent - Folder” playlist naming scheme, but then all the playlist file names start with MUSIC, and the rest of the information gets buried on the right. Choosing the “Parent - Folder” playlist naming scheme instead doesn’t provide a solution, since MUSIC still appears for the folders without grandparents.

Yes, I’ve also run into this myself. It will be fixed in the next update. 

When? When? When? :wink:

At least that’s what it seems to me. I use AutoM3U to create playlists for my Clip. The music is organized this way on the Clip:

\MUSIC\folders\mp3 files under each folder

When using the Clip to select and play music, all the playlists (with names of the folders) contain their mp3 files except one which displays as “Empty”. I’ve looked at the contents of the clip on my computer and everything seems to be where it should be including the mp3 files under the supposedly empty playlist-folder. As a clue, that empty playlist-folder is the last folder (and files beneath it) that I put on the clip.

Any ideas?

Hi Guys,

I am sorry if my question is so basic. I have a Sansa clip 8 GB.

I used this nice utility AutoM3U.exe, I gave him the root directory of my music folder and asked him to include sub folders.

It created one m3u8 file for each folder and one for the root folder which contains all the sub folders inside.

My question:

How do I move this playlist to my Sansa clip? Should I drag the music folder with all the mp3 and m3u8 files?

It doesn’t work – the playlist section in the Sansa player stays empty.

I also tried to drag only the m3u8 files to the playlist directory and it didn’t help.

Your help is really appreciated

Elias, great program, no more chaos on my clip. However, it does not work with folders that are placed in the Audiobooks folder. If I put my audiobboks in the music folder solves the problem. Also, the original playlist folder disappeared from my Clip, is this normal?

Edit: audiobooks tagged as audiobook won’t work, whether placed in the Music folder or the Audiobooks folder, audiobooks not tagged as audiobook will work if placed in the Music folder, but not when placed in the Audiobooks folder.

Message Edited by csp on 08-02-2009 10:46 AM

@csp wrote:

Elias, great program, no more chaos on my clip. However, it does not work with folders that are placed in the Audiobooks folder. If I put my audiobboks in the music folder solves the problem. Also, the original playlist folder disappeared from my Clip, is this normal?

Edit: audiobooks tagged as audiobook won’t work, whether placed in the Music folder or the Audiobooks folder, audiobooks not tagged as audiobook will work if placed in the Music folder, but not when placed in the Audiobooks folder.

Message Edited by csp on 08-02-2009 10:46 AM

It’s not Elias’ program.  For some reason the Clip and Fuze just don’t support audiobooks in playlists.

This is great, I was about to write my own program when I came acorss AutoM3U. It seems to not work for me. The playlists are created and when I look at the songs on the CLIP it just says empty. I have a SanDisk Sansa Clip 2 GB MP3 Player (Blue) with the latest firmware (2.01.32A). Anyone else had this problem?

My settings I have are…

USB Mode: MSC

AutoM3U

Don’t use the custom folder option, save it to the source folder

csp, THAT WORKED. thx.

Awesome program! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now.This is one of the most useful Sansa applications I’ve come across!

Hi!,

Auto-generate folder playlists for the Clip: AutoM3U v1.1

Link is dead

Where can I download this utility?

Help! 

Hi Guys

I realise I have come to this thread several years after it was started but every link to the program in any post has expired or has missing parameters. Is there any way to join in now?

I have Python installed although I am only a few weeks into learning it. I was going to have a go at the task myself (in Perl) until I found this thread.

tia

Steve