Audio Books Help

I’ve downloaded an audio book through the library - it’s downloaded through Overdrive and I listened to half the book, now I get an error on my Sansa Clip that says “Synchronize to continue your music subscription”.  I’ve gone onto Rhapsody and updated licenses even though this book is the only thing currently on the device and didn’t come through Rhapsody.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks

I’ve got the exact same problem with audiobooks from NetLibrary.com, which is the default audiobook supplier for my county library.  I checked the list of tested MP3 players that work with this system and it is Audubon ridiculously short, and the players are all in the high-end price range.  These audio books are also not compatible with iPod and Zune players due to conflicts with their DRM (digital rights management).  There is a statement on the page that they are evaluating other players as well.  It seems the problem is in Sansa’s hands to make their operating system compatible with the NetLibrary system.  I’m sure there are thousands of people that would like to use these audio books and if the Sansa clip would play them then Sansa would sell a lot more players, since they would be the cheapest of any of the compatible players.

Here is the link to the page:

http://support.oclc.org/Resolutions/TestedPlayers.pdf

Any reply or fix from Sansa?

Sansa told me to go to Rhapsody and update the licenses.  I did that and when that didn’t work they told me to install the Firmware updater.  I did that and it didn’t help.  I have not heard back from them yet on their next suggestion.  It’s too bad because the audiobooks was a main reason in my getting the device.  I find it odd that it let me listen to half the book.  Now I want to know what happens next… :slight_smile:

Hi Mia,

To transfer the licenses properly, you must connect the Clip in MTP mode and use the Overdrive Console to move the books to your player.  To force MTP mode, go to Settings/USB Mode on the Clip itself and choose MTP.

Good luck!

Inga

Inga — I think that might have worked.  At least I didn’t get the error as soon as I turned the device on.  We’ll see if I get through the book now.  Thanks!

Mia

I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively and this was the reason I bought the Clip.

Audiobooks from both NetLibrary and OverDrive work great on my Clip.  Both need to be transferred over in MTP mode (sorry, Windows only) for the license to transfer to the Clip.  Use the newest firmware 01.01.29 to get the best results with audiobooks.

With books from NetLibrary make sure you can play the DRM-protected WMA file on your computer with WMPlayer before you transfer to the Clip.  For NetLibrary books change the Genre tag to “Audiobook” (note there is no ‘s’) and use the Sync option in WMPlayer.  Changing the Genre to “Audiobook” will keep the book out of the Music list on the Clip (but not the Music folder) and allow bookmarking with other audiobook functionality (only with 01.01.29).

For OverDrive books use the OverDrive software, making sure you select the “Advanced” option button that appears on one of the screens when you Transfer the book, and change the path by replacing “Music” with “Audiobooks” (note there is an ‘s’) in the path.  Putting the files in the “Audiobooks” folder rather than the “Music” folder will keep the book out of the Music list on the Clip and allow bookmarking with other audiobook functionality (again, only with 01.01.29).

The license from NetLibrary books cause the “Syncronize…” error message when you try to listen past the expiration date.  Interestingly, the OverDrive books don’t stop playing when you listen past the expiration date.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Hi,

I have a similar problem when I use overdrive media player. I can transfer the book without problems, but when trying to play it, get the message “obtain licence to continue your music subscription”. I use the MSC mode, because if I use MTP or auto detect -modes, my computer (windows xp) or overdrive media player do not even recognize the clip. I have the latest 01.01.30 firmware in my clip.

Any suggestions?

I use Overdrive Media player for audiobooks almost exclusively for my player and have not had any problems with requests for licenses.  I would try the system described by Steve G. above.  You may be able to switch modes temporarily to transfer the audiobooks and switch back for your music, I don’t know.  I almost never use mine for anything but books but I love it.  Also, once you have downloaded a netlibrary book onto the Clip it doesn’t expire.  The license on the computer will expire but the book will remain on your clip until you erase it.  It is definately worthwhile to take the time to send your audiobook to the audiobook folder instead of following the default on Overdrive.  Once something is in the audiobook folder the bookmarking works better and you don’t skip to the next track if you accidently bump the fast forward.  Sansa has made some great firmware improvements over the last year that make audiobooks even better than when I first got my clip.

@delfsmith wrote:
Also, once you have downloaded a netlibrary book onto the Clip it doesn’t expire. 

NetLibrary books are the only ones that expire for me.  OverDrive books, once transferred to the Clip, don’t expire.

Anyone else have experience with NetLibrary or OverDrive and when the licenses expire (or don’t) on the Clip?

I’m having the same problem as you,msc mode the pc recognizes it , mtp nothing there. the first two chapters play fine, then “obtain lic by trans title using audiobook software”. My books from audible.com play ok, just the ones from overdrive dont work                                 

I think I solved my problem, I downloaded windows media 11 and now I can connect my clip in mtp mode, downloaded my book from overdrive and it played into the third part with no problems

Message Edited by trashman on 11-04-2008 08:09 PM

@satsa wrote:

Hi,

I have a similar problem when I use overdrive media player. I can transfer the book without problems, but when trying to play it, get the message “obtain licence to continue your music subscription”. I use the MSC mode, because if I use MTP or auto detect -modes, my computer (windows xp) or overdrive media player do not even recognize the clip. I have the latest 01.01.30 firmware in my clip.

Any suggestions?

Do you have Windows Media Player 10 or 11 installed?  PlaysForSure (the DRM that OverDrive uses) needs it.

Here are the requirements for OverDrive Media:

1. Player must be in MTP mode.

2. WMP 10 or 11 must be installed on your PC.

3. The audiobook must be loaded onto your player using the OverDrive Media program.

4. [Optional, though required if you want bookmarking to work:] In the OverDrive “Transfer” function, you should go into “Advanced Options” and edit the pathname to change “Music” to “Audiobooks”.

NetLibrary books do expire on the Clip.  Overdrive ones do not.  In my experience…

Sorry All, I meant the Overdrive books don’t expire, not Netlibrary.  I only use the overdrive books as that is what my library uses.  Didn’t mean to create more confusion.

I absolutely agree… Audiobooks function much better in the Audiobooks folder.  I will be glad when Overdrive upgrades their program so Audiobooks can be set as the default. 

Has anyone had any experience with the Sansa Clip Plus?  Does it handle Audiobooks the same as the Sansa Clip?  Will licenses expire once the Audiobook is transferred to the clip?

Thanks

Hi all,

neutron_bob has written the definitive troubleshooting guide for ‘synchronize to continue your music subscription,’ here:

http://sansa.lithium.com/t5/Clip-Clip/synchronize-to-continue-your-music-subscription/m-p/188468

It seems to work for Sansa Clip and Sansa Fuze. 

I download books on a desktop computer running Win XP Professional, thru Overdrive Media Console. 

Here are the notes I made of the process to fix my own Sansa Fuze player with my system.  Your solution may be slightly different with a different operating system, etc;

======================================================

11-26-2010 07:05 PM

Thanks, Neutron Bob!!!

Your method works for Sansa Fuse as well!

To recap (for when I need to do this next year, and have forgotten how):

1. Switch Sansa Fuse to MTP Mode;

Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > MTP   – Leave the Sansa Fuze in MTP mode.

1. Plug the Sansa Fuze into the Computer, Confirm it is in MTP mode.

Start > My Computer   – Sansa Fuze appears under ‘Other’ , not with a drive letter.

1. Reset registry for Sansa Fuze

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Portable Device

Select Sansa Fuze

Uninstall

Wait 30 seconds

1. Restart the Computer

2. Plug in Sansa Fuze

3. Start OverDrive Media Console

4. Download books from OverDrive Media Console to Sansa Fuze