Audible audiobook files (.aa) won't play after transfer from MAC

I can’t play any Audible files that I copied from MAC.  The clip+ shows them as “unknown” and won’t play them.  When I connect to the MAC I can see the audible file, it looks like it transferred, but clip+ won’t play them.  I have reformatted my clip+, I have also run the dot_clean command, but still can’t play books.  Too bad, cuz I usually play audiobooks to fall asleep, so I’m losing sleep until I can find a fix.

Audible files are protected by DRM.  You may need to use the Audible Manager, available at the Audible website, to transfer the Audible files. 

As well as using MTP mode. DRM-encrypted files require MTP mode to transfer the licensing & permission info that allow the files to be played. One needs to use MSC mode in order to use a non-pod player (like a Sansa) with a Mac.

The problem is that your Clip + has to be “authorized” by audible, and it doesn’t apparently do it just by downloading your .aa files through iTunes (as is stated by SanDisk’s literature – whoops!).  

Find a friend with a PC (or use Windows on your mac, eg using Boot Camp, or Parallels).  Set your Clip + to “Auto Detect” in USB settings (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode > Auto Detect). download the Audible Download Manager.  Download one of your books from the Audible site.  In so doing, you will be asked for your Audible password to authorize your player.  Crucially, this act installs a small file on your player that authorizes all further files (probably all further files from YOUR Audible account, specifically). 

Once you’ve done this, you’ll never need your PC friend again.  Now you can add .aa files from your mac to the Audible or the Audiobook folder and it should work.  If it doesn’t, you’ll need to revisit your PC buddy and just download all your audiobooks there.  

It seems pretty shoddy that Sansa can’t correct this.  It doesn’t seem like a big deal.  

It’s not a SanDisk issue–it’s protection by Audible under the system Audible has chosen to guard its content. 

OK then Milkerman.  In which case,

1. it’s shoddy that Sandisk publishes literature or markets its product without making it CRYSTAL CLEAR that Audible audiobooks are not exactly compatible with the device.  

2. It’s a shame that Audible doesn’t make these things easier on the mac community.  

Does that sound right? 

@gavster wrote:

OK then Milkerman.  In which case,

1. it’s shoddy that Sandisk publishes literature or markets its product without making it CRYSTAL CLEAR that Audible audiobooks are not exactly compatible with the device.

Not true. Audible audiobooks are indeed caompatible with all Sansa mp3 players. It’s iTunes that is the trouble-maker with non “i” hardware.

1. It’s a shame that Audible doesn’t make these things easier on the mac community.  

Audible, CRhapsody and just about everyone else besides Apple. And that the way Steve Jobs wants it. So nag him.

Does that sound right? 

Gavster, as noted above, the Clips work just fine with Audible files and the Clips are compatible with the Audible format. But, at least as I understand it, because of the way that Audible protects its files from unauthorized copying (which could be the loss of Audible’s business–it makes its money from people signing up with it), you just need to transfer your Audible files from Audible and to the Clip using Audible’s download manager, free software from Audible’s site. It really is easy to use, no harder, really, than any other file transfer software, once you have it set up (which also is pretty easy)–just grab the software from audible.com and then use it to transfer your Audible files to the Clip. 1-2-3 and you’re set! :slight_smile:

Milderman’s claims about the Clip being so amazing and  “easy as 1-2-3” are GROSSLY exaggerated. I’ve been using the Clip (I’m actually on my second one) for 3 years and have always had problems with getting Audible books to run. It often says “please activate device with Audible Manager…” I activate, re-activate in two different place, delete, re-transfer, etc. on the Audible Device Manager. And it doesn’t work like haff the time. So I end up having to spend all this time converting the auduible aa file into a standard mp3 just to get it to play

I’m a fan. Great price, good interface, good functions. But the communication with Audible is spotty at best - at least in my experience with two separate devices and 2 or 3 (can’t remember if I used the 3rd or not for this) computers… Go ahead and blame Audible if you want, I don’t care. The final result is that getting your Audible books to play is not reliable, which is all most users care about.

What can I say?  Once I had the Audible software, no issues . . . .