07-07-2010 07:11 PM
I couldn't find my Clip+ earlier this week. Then I found it. In a pair of pants I'd washed Monday evening. Amazingly, the player still works but only on external power. It won't charge at all. Having looked at the battery, it's pretty clear that it isn't a hermetically sealed unit.
So if anyone has a busted Clip+ with a working battery, I'll gladly give you a few bucks for it.
Solved! Go to Solution.
07-08-2010 09:10 AM
It's possible that the battery leads to the battery came undone in the wash. You could try opening the Clip and reattaching them (by resoldering or using conductive epoxy).
07-08-2010 09:26 AM
It was firmly attached. The battery is sticky-taped in place. It can't move or be jostled no matter how much the player is banged around. Trust me, it's dead. The battery "case" is just pressed foil crimped around the terminals. Keeps the bulk down but the result is a fragile power storage unit that just can't handle a simple run through a washing machine.
07-08-2010 10:45 AM
There have been a large number of people here whose players have gone for a swim. Those who don't immediately try to turn it on (and consequently short it out for good) have had good success in reviving it by drying it out thoroughly either by letting it air-dry (open or closed) or by sealing it up in a bag with a desiccant like white rice for several days.
We haven't heard of any where the battery was completely hosed by the experience. More likely is the possibility that there is some residual moisture somewhere on the circuit board, or minerals and/or soap suds that are providing a electrical conduit between 2 adjacent solder points effectively preventing it from powering up.
Although it sounds counter-intuitive, a good thing to do would be to take it for a few more laps in some distilled water to throughly rinse out any residue from the wash cycle and flush any conductive minerals away. Then . . . give it a good drying-out.
07-08-2010 12:41 PM
I appreciate the effort but please, please take my word for it. The battery is dead. It's not pining. It has passed on. It is no more. It has ceased to be. Expired and gone to meet its maker. Yada, yada, yada, ex-battery.
It didn't just take a dunk. It was washed and dried.
The Clip+ initially did not turn on under its own power but I plugged it into a USB power supply and it fired right up. All functions working perfectly. So I plugged it into a computer and it showed up with 0% charge. Left it plugged in for half an hour, then unplugged it and tried to start it under its own power. Nothing. Plugged it back into the USB charger. It initially looked like it was going to charge but then the charge indicator stopped moving and the icon changed to an empty battery with a line through it. I unplugged it and let it sit in the warm exhaust of a computer for the day. This didn't change its behavior. Plugging it back into the computer, it now registered a 100% charge, though it was unable to turn on without external power. I then opened the clip+ and let the exposed circuitry and battery (which was fully connected) sit in a warm flow of air for a few more hours. Changed nothing. I tried to initiate a reset but it didn't work. I don't know if it's supposed to work while there's an external power source connected. It didn't do anything witout external power, either.
So, after proving to my satisfaction that the battery was dead, I dissected it out of curiosity. Full autopsy. As I said, it's just a foil wrap crimped and taped shut. Fine for a sealed device and maybe a dunk in the pool but over half an hour of sustained agitation and an hour of drying was probably a bit much. Frankly, I'm shocked that the rest of the device still works.
Back to my original question: Does anyone have a battery left over from an otherwise busted Clip+?
07-09-2010 07:12 AM
The wee Clip can endure the trauma of a soaking, as we've experienced, but the battery can indeed be discharged below its minimum threshold voltage, which could make in unrecoverable. This is the downside of the high density lithium polymer battery.
Usually, the Sansa will shut down or cease drawing current when "swimming", and can possibly be revived later by a careful drying in air, at moderate temperatures.
Regarding that household clothes drier, this can be more deadly to the wee Sansa than the wash. The battery doesn't fare well in the ambient temperatures encountered in that tumbler, well above the boiling point (212F / 100C) of water. This may destroy the battery, of course.
07-10-2010 05:12 AM - edited 07-10-2010 05:15 AM
You can use the iP*d Shuffle battery as per this guide.
It has a lower mAh, but is widely availabe and is very cheap, $5-10.
Note that it takes about a month to ship from China, so I'd look around first.
Message Edited by notgod on 07-10-2010 05:15 AM
07-23-2010 10:58 PM
Woo hoo! Checked the mail and my new battery had arrived. $3.89 delivered. I ordered the one from the ebay link in the thread posted by notgod.
The original says
The new one says
BAK 363830P ST
Physical dimensions are the same as the old battery except the terminals are on the long edge. This makes me question the accuracy of the rating since the energy storage portion is smaller than the original but I'm not going to be picky. In typical "Hong Kong" fashion, the battery delivered is not same configuration as the one pictured. Fortunately, what was delivered is closer to the origina Clip+ battery. 3 wires (red, black, blue). I'd saved the board off the original battery to transplant to the new one but I took a shot and connected the new battery as-is.
So far, so good. It turned on and resumed playing from where it left off. I plugged it into a computer and it registered 79% and the charging indicator showed that it was charging the entire time it was plugged in. Unplugged it and it's still working, behavior totally normal. I still need to leave it plugged in to make sure charging shuts off properly but, so far, I'm giving it a thumbs-up.
07-24-2010 10:43 AM
Congratulations! And humorous that the Clip picked off where it had left off.
Keep us advised. And it sounds like the battery you bought is even a bit more long-lasting than the original.