Anybody here using Rhapsody with a Sansa Clip+? (or any similar device)

I’m just looking for some pointers in how to best use them together – for example, can I not delete Rhapsody tracks via Windows Explorer, the way I would delete MP3s/FLACs? ie, do I have to do all that through Rhapsody?

If there’s an appropriate FAQ, please let me know where to look! 

What you are experiencing is probably a difference between MTP and MSC mode.

When the device is in MSC mode, the music player enumerates as two removable drives, One representing the internal memory, the other representing the SD Card.

When the device is in MTP mode, it looks as a single device with two folders.  One called Internal Memory and one called External Memory.

Although the player can see all media regardless of what mode it was added in, You computer, however can only view the files that were entered in the mode that the player was in.

Thus, any files that were in MTP mode won’t be seen on through the computer when the device is in MSC mode and vice versa.

It’s most likely your Rhapsody files were entered in MTP mode.  These files are stored in the Internal Memory/Music folder.  In the Music folder there are folders for each artist and the files are probably in there either by album.  I’m not sure.

You can delete the files directly using windows explorer, however, since Rhapsody subscription tracks also adds metadata such as artist information for each artist, it’s better to remove the tracks using Rhapsody so that all the .txt files regarding the band is also removed.

p_opus wrote:  

You can delete the files directly using windows explorer, however, since Rhapsody subscription tracks also adds metadata such as artist information for each artist, it’s better to remove the tracks using Rhapsody so that all the .txt files regarding the band is also removed.

This is more what I meant – it seems with Rhapsody files, you really need to remove them via the Rhapsody app – whereas I had been accustomed to removing MP3/FLAC files via Windows Explorer. It seems if you just delete the Rhapsody files via Windows Explorer, weird synch things happen between the Sansa and the Rhapsody app.

btw, do you happen to know what the point of the “Albums” folder in the Clip+ is? Rhapsody seemed to put album art in there, but that seems useless to me.

Also, do you happen to know what happens when you add a Rhapsody channel to the Clip+? ie, does it just download a fixed number of mixed songs?

Thanks! 

To the Rhapsody 4 client, the Clip+ looks very similar to the Sansa Fuze.  I see that the Clip+ has a “photos” folder, with a Clip+ connected currently.

To add Rhapsody Channels to the Clip+, simply select a Channel in the client, via the Radio tab in the Music Guide, and drag a selected channel to the Channels folder of the Clip+.

The channels are unique, filling about 300MB or so of new music that refreshes each time you connect to Rhapsody.  The channel playlists are hidden from the interface of the Sansa, keeping this music separated from your favorites.  If you hear a particular song, and wish to add it to your device library, this is selectable via the submenu, or by the center button, if you configure it this way, via the “press and hold” menu.

Once channels are added, you will see a new Rhapsody Channels icon in the main menu.

µsansa