AC Charger & Sync Cable Questions

New clip+ owner here. Couple of questions:

1.) I have a charger that goes to my wifes Motorola cell phone. I see that the connector mates with the clip+. Is that safe to use with it? Will it harm the battery in any way? I wasn’t sure if it was too powerful for it, or if the clip+ would just “take what it needs”.

2.) I have a sync cable that goes with my pentax digital camera. Same connector as the clip+. Would that be okay to use? It’s longer and more flexible.

thanks,

eric

@speedythecat wrote:

New clip+ owner here. Couple of questions:

1.) I have a charger that goes to my wifes Motorola cell phone. I see that the connector mates with the clip+. Is that safe to use with it? Will it harm the battery in any way? I wasn’t sure if it was too powerful for it, or if the clip+ would just “take what it needs”.

2.) I have a sync cable that goes with my pentax digital camera. Same connector as the clip+. Would that be okay to use? It’s longer and more flexible.

thanks,

eric

The charger and sync cable should both work just fine.  Any 5-pin mini-USB connector works with the Clip and Clip+.  Also, make sure that the charger is 5V.  Anything greater than 5V could be a problem.

Very good! Thanks a bunch for the help!

Have a great day!

Eric

UPDATE: I just checked and that charger is 5v - 550ma so hopefully it should be good to go. The battery in the phone has to be a lot bigger than the battery in the clip+ (in both size and capacity) so I hope the 550ma isn’t too much. I suppose I wouldn’t be worried about the battery so much except for the fact that it sounds like when the battery goes, you have to throw the player in the trash which is kind of a downer… LOL

Message Edited by speedythecat on 10-14-2009 09:28 AM

@speedythecat wrote:

Very good! Thanks a bunch for the help!

Have a great day!

Eric

UPDATE: I just checked and that charger is 5v - 550ma so hopefully it should be good to go. The battery in the phone has to be a lot bigger than the battery in the clip+ (in both size and capacity) so I hope the 550ma isn’t too much. I suppose I wouldn’t be worried about the battery so much except for the fact that it sounds like when the battery goes, you have to throw the player in the trash which is kind of a downer… LOL

Message Edited by speedythecat on 10-14-2009 09:28 AM

Shouldn’t be a problem. I use my Motorola’s wall and car charger with my Clip+ with no problems.  And you’re welcome!

Thanks again! I noticed in your sig you have the 4GB like I do and see you have a 16GB card. I’d like to buy a 16GB too. Should I buy one exactly like the one in your sig (do you recommend it) and where can I buy it?

Eric

“Too high” an amperage shouldn’t be a problem–the Clip+ just takes what it needs.  (Totally distinct from too high a voltage.)

HulkSmashNow:  Just curious, are your Clip+ and card full and how long does a refresh take?

@miikerman wrote:
HulkSmashNow:  Just curious, are your Clip+ and card full and how long does a refresh take?

Mikerman,

I have about 3GB (used for audiobooks) left on the internal memory, and nearly 7GB (for music) left on the external.  It takes from three to four minutes to refresh the database.

speedythecat,

I would definitely recommend my MicroSD card.  I got it on sale at Office Depot several months ago for $49.99.  I’ve used different brands (and lower capacities) in the past, and they’ve all worked, although the 8GB Kingston I used in my Fuze did have a few hiccups, like always emptying my GoList when I added songs to the card.

Thanks.  And a good season for buying a micro card is coming up–

@miikerman wrote:
Thanks.  And a good season for buying a micro card is coming up–

You’re welcome, and good hunting, my friend.