8GB Clip+ freezes while Refreshing Media

I just purchased an 8GB Clip+. During my first use yesterday I was able to add mp3s and it worked fine, but today I deleted some mp3s and added a lot more, the clip+ got stuck on the “Refreshing your media” screen, would then reset itself and go right back to the “Refreshing” screen and just stay frozen.

I am still able to connect the clip+ to my computer while it is off, and then it will power on and I can add/delete files wthout any problems. I even tried deleting some and then all of the mp3s I loaded onto it, but no luck. I then installed the newest firmware update which completed successfully according to the instructions, but then when I powered it back on it went back to the “Refreshing” screen, reset itself again, then back to the “Refreshing” screen and stayed frozen.

My computer is running Ubuntu Linux 10.10… could that have anything to do with it? Is there a way to format the clip+ without using the device’s menus? If not, I am not sure what else I can try to fix this problem.

There is a problem with the tags on some of your songs. Formatting the player won’t help, as the problem will recur if you reload the songs without fixing the tags.

what a load of bull**bleep**, if this is that delicate Sandisk should scrap the thing.

@damian58 wrote:

what a load of bull**bleep**, if this is that delicate Sandisk should scrap the thing.

A perfect example of trolling. :angry:

@damian58 wrote:

A perfect example of trolling

Wow.

I’ve never had an issue with tags or files causing a refresh freeze, since I purchased a Clip 3+ years ago. 

But then, I generally rip and tag my own CDs, or purchase MP3 files from reputable sources (Amazon.com, eMusic.com, etc.). 

I apologize for not returning to this thread much sooner.

Eventually, I found out what happened, and it had nothing to do with id3 tags. Two things contributed to the problem:

1. I deleted songs from the clip+ without emptying the “trash” bin and

2. I removed the clip+ from the usb port without selecting the “remove safely” option first.

I can only assume that emptying the “trash” actually deletes the songs from the clip+ for good (at least in Ubuntu), and not doing that after removing the player probably makes it think that the songs are still there even though they are not, which is why the “refreshing media” screen does not complete.

Since I figured this out, I haven’t had any problems to speak of.

Thanks for posting this–interesting and helpful   :slight_smile:

I just had this happen on my shiny new 8GB Clip+, and found that in the device’s root, there was a .Trash-1000 directory, full of deleted files. Nuked that and the device booted normally. Good to remember to empty that Trash Bin :slight_smile: Thanks for the tip!

WTF.  Sansa has had this problem for YEARS.  I had it on fuze and clip before the plus series was even released (and I reported the bug with details of exactly how to reproduce it) and they still have it on the plus series.  Having a bad ID3 tag is no sort of an excuse to allow your OS to crash.  Their devs need to get a clue.  I’m also pretty sure that Rockbox does not crash on the same files that crash the Sandisk OS.

BTW, clicking the unmount icon should do the same thing as “safely remove” in the right click menu of Nautilus on Meerkat.  Yanking the device without doing either one is not OK though.

@mfaughn wrote:

WTF.  Sansa has had this problem for YEARS.  I had it on fuze and clip before the plus series was even released (and I reported the bug with details of exactly how to reproduce it) and they still have it on the plus series. 

And yet I have _ never _ experienced it on _ any _ of my players going back quite a while (1 Fuze, 2 Cip+, 2 e280v2, 2 e280v1, 1 e260v2, 2 e260v1)  . . . ever.

But then I check and/or edit the tags on every file that has ever gone on any of them too.