Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: 6,933 something song limit?

I'm glad that you changed the screen design--why I mentioned it above as likely one of the first things you want to do.  The default layout, in my mind, is geek to the extreme and less than aethetically pleasing (no offense to anyone intended) . . . .

Highlighted

I've continued to test rockbox for a week or so now. 

rockbox stable release (version 3.12)  seems to be flaky when it comes to interfacing with a PC.   I noticed it first on Windows 7 the driver had difficulty loading.  I did a google search and found that someone else also reported this issues.  I also experienced it with Windows Vista.  The driver didn't load at all and I didn't have time to research if there is a work around or not.  Tonight I tried to interface it with the same PC I installed the rockbox with.  It's currently running Linux Lite 2.8 64 bit.  It's based on Ubuntu 14.04.  The device didn't want to mount.  Froze up several times, and after reconnecting and holding down the power button etc. several times I managed to get it to mount.  I wonder if the development version does any better? 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Interesting to hear--with earlier Rockbox versions, I didn't have any issue with mounting to a Windows PC.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

I haven't played with any of my players that have Rockbox in quite a while so things may have changed, but plugging into a computer with Rockbox loaded was always sketchy. I always booted into the OF before connecting to the computer.

Highlighted

It appears that someone filed a bug report about this.

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/13050?string=freezes&project=1&type[0]=2&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=...

I don't know what OF is.  Can you please tell me how to do this so I can try?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

OF = Original (AKA SanDisk) Firmware

Highlighted

Did you uninstall rockbox or is there a way to bypass it?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

You should be able to boot into the original firmware by holding down  << as you turn on the Sansa. Rockbox was smart that way.

By the way....your original problem with the song limit...arises because the Sansa firmware puts all the information from the ID3 tags into a database.  Think of it as a giant text file. There's a limit on the size of that file--a certain number of characters--and SanDisk set it too low for the giant microSD cards you can get nowadays. Since Rockbox figured out how to get around that limitation, it's a shame SanDIsk never fixed it.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Black-Rectangle wrote:

You should be able to boot into the original firmware by holding down  << as you turn on the Sansa. Rockbox was smart that way.

That's one of the nice things about Rockbox. It doesn't replace the OF; it merely sits alongside so you can boot into either firmware at will. Smiley Wink