4gbClip+, sandisk 8gb class2 sdhc combo. player doesn't see both internal/external files together.

My 4gbClip+ and micro sdhc card won’t play nicely together (tried with both firmware 1.02.18 and 1.02.16).

When I have files on both internal memory and the card:

• I cannot see contents of card through the player when navigating through music->folder->external (says it is empty).

• I can see contents of card when viewing through Windows Media Player or my computer.

When I have files on just the internal memory, or just the card, I can see contents without problems.

To add to the madness, the same card works fine when used with my 8gbFuze (firmware current).

I’ve read through a lot of the threads on this board over the last 4 days and none of the MSC, MTP, format fat32, etc. suggestions have worked for me. I’m at wits end and can’t think of what else to try short of flashing the Clip+ with Fuze firmware. Anybody have ideas?

@hito wrote:

. . . . can’t think of what else to try short of flashing the Clip+ with Fuze firmware.

Well, you can forget about this because it won’t work. Do you have any other cards to try?

Thanks for the reply Tapeworm! Yeah I didn’t figure flashing with another player’s firmware would work…totally just grasping at straws here at this point.

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare card right now, but I just ordered a Sandisk class 4 16gb card and will try that and post results once it gets here. It just strikes me as odd that my 8gb card works properly with the Fuze and also if I put it into my phone, just not with the Clip+.

@hito wrote:

Unfortunately I don’t have a spare card right now, but I just ordered a Sandisk class 4 16gb card and will try that and post results once it gets here. It just strikes me as odd that my 8gb card works properly with the Fuze and also if I put it into my phone, just not with the Clip+.

That is indeed a

If you use the regular database (not Folders > External or MicroSD) does any of the files (songs) show up?

You are inserting the card when the Clip+ is shut off, right? Does it go through the database refresh upon start-up after inserting the card?

You’re sure the card is inserted all the way, right?

How about inserting the card, then shutting the player off (after the db refresh) and restarting? Any difference? Also try a reset; press and hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Release, then press again momentarily to start up.

How about trying the 01.02.15 firmware version?

If you use the regular database (not Folders > External or MicroSD) does any of the files (songs) show up?
** Yes I can see files and though I’m not actively confirming each file, at a glance it looks like everything is there.

You are inserting the card when the Clip+ is shut off, right? Does it go through the database refresh upon start-up after inserting the card?

** Correct, I am inserting the card when off and it does go through a refresh at start-up and that does take a bit of time which feels like it makes sense since it is working its way through about 7gb worth of files.

You’re sure the card is inserted all the way, right?

** Yes, I am hearing it click as it seats and locks in.

How about inserting the card, then shutting the player off (after the db refresh) and restarting? Any difference?

** No difference.

Also try a reset; press and hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. Release, then press again momentarily to start up.

** No difference here either.

** Here things are a little bit different. I still can’t see contents of card through the player when navigating through music->folder->external but I can’t see contents of the card when viewing through WMP or my computer either. There is just a “empty” folder called MSC, whereas on firwares 01.02.16 and 01.02.18 I was able to at leaset see the contents of the card when viewing through WMP or my computer.

At this point I hope it is a problem with this card, but I’m also mentally preparing myself for the fact that this might simply be a 4gb player and not the 12+gb I was hoping for. :confounded:

hito wrote:

** Here things are a little bit different. I still can’t see contents of card through the player when navigating through music->folder->external but I can’t see contents of the card when viewing through WMP or my computer either. There is just a “empty” folder called MSC , whereas on firwares 01.02.16 and 01.02.18 I was able to at leaset see the contents of the card when viewing through WMP or my computer.

This is a clue. How did you transfer the files to the card, in MTP or MSC mode? First off, re-applying, updating or back-dating the firmware will reset the USB mode to Auto Defect which defaults to MTP mode whenever possible. If your player is connected in this mode, you will see an MSC folder, but your computer will not be able to see or access any files within. Same is true the other way. The problem with the Auto setting is that you never know which mode it is connecting in if you don’t pay attention to the way it shows up in Windows Explorer. This can lead to some files being transferred in MTP and some in MSC, resulting in mass confusion and problems for you, the user.

Best to pick a mode depending on your usage patterns and manually set the player to that mode. There’s a good reason why the Auto Detect setting is referred to as Auto Defect. If you use protected or DRM-crippled files (like from Rhapsody, Audible or any subscription service) MTP is required to transfer over the ‘permission’ keys along with the file allowing it to play. If you don’t use a subscription service, it’s best to use MSC mode.

I’m guessing your files were transferred using MSC mode; now it’s connected in MTP so that is why you’re seeing the MSC folder with nothing in it. Try changing the USB mode to MSC (Settings > System Settings > USB Mode), re-connect and see if you can now see your files. You won’t see an MSC folder, but instead you’ll see the root directory with a Music folder. Your files should be safely tucked in here.

@hito wrote:

** Yes I can see files and though I’m not actively confirming each file, at a glance it looks like everything is there. 

Good, so the files are there and are catalogued by the database. Changing the USB mode as suggested above shouldn’t necessarily affect the operation of the player when not connected to the computer, but it may. With the unit in MSC mode (and unplugged), try accessing the Folders option again and see if it shows your files on the card.

You might try reformatting the microSD card using the SD Association’s formatter tool (available at its website)–that sometimes can help and work.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

When I changed the USB mode to MSC and re-connected I did see two folders, but no files.

I started over by formatting. Unfortunately I have some DRM files so I picked MTP and first synced the external (files visible via computer) then the internal (also visible via computer), but after disconnect and refresh, only internal files were visible by both device and computer. I can’t imagine it matters which memory I fill first.

Yeah, I’ve tried this one with no luck.