32GB MicroSD card, save your money, don't get it!!

I have tried every way that I know of to fill this 32gb card with audio books from Librivox.org and radio plays from archive.org, Via both MTP and MSC… Individually(each audiobook at a refresh) or en masse( copying all the books to the microcard at once then refreshing) and the player will only “SEE” about half the files and folders. Plus, when I load more folders it forgets others. All the files are indeed there, but when I unplug the device it will only show me about half that were loaded. I reformatted after changing from MTP to MSC. Files on the player itself seems OK, but the OS doesn’t seem to be able to handle the files on the MicroCard. 1800+ hours worth of listening! Further, the files under audiobooks menu are nonsense, many time just showing individual “chapters” rather than the book name. The only part that seems to half way work is “folders menu” and it only shows half as I said. Spent about 4 hours a day for 2 weeks trying to get this to work so far and I’m stumped.

How many files and folders do you have on the player–have you exceeded the limit?

72 folders and many thousands of files, off hand I didn’t count the number of files. About 8000, I’d say. I can’t find anywhere where it gives a maximum on anything, that’s why one of my former posts.

I am not aware of any limits to numbers of files, folders, etc. I haven’t found such information anywhere. In my POST “Things not in the manual” you’ll see that I asked about this. In any case, if the Clip+ is designed to handle a 32GB MicroSD chip, then one would naturally think that it would handle huge amounts of files and folders!! Otherwise, it should specifically say within the Manual not to use the 32GB MicroSD card or warn against too many files or folders. The MicroSD card, itself, seems to handle the files and folders fine, as per FAT32.

The device indicates that there are 6324 audiobooks(I assume that’s chapters!). It “SEE’s” 45 of the 72 folders that are there. I still have about 7 GB free.

The Clip+ has a limit of around 8,000 songs. That is for items in the song database. If your files have the genre audiobook or podcast, or are in the audiobooks or podcasts folders then they won’t be in the song database.

Are these in the song database, or are they listed on the player under the audiobooks or podcasts submenus?

The player arranges all audio files by the album tag. If there are too many different album tags the player may get overloaded. If the album tag is missing on many files, and too many are listed under the album unknown, that could also be a problem. I suggest that you download the free program mp3Tag and use it to edit the tags on the files on your pc. After that, assuming all the files are on your pc, the best idea is to format  the player using the player’s menu deleting all the files on it. Delete all the files on the card, and copy them to the card and player again.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

(1)Player Question:

On the player itself, not including the MicroSD card I have 62 songs from System>Info.

audiobooks:6324

songs:62

When I go:Album:

I have 19

Unknown:I have 30 titles

Genres:I have20

>Unknown:3

>Unknown:20

My Top Rated:0

Playlists:3

Podcasts:0

>Audiobooks:A REAL MESS

Further explaination on Audiobooks: It lists a few audiobooks9as whole books), but it lists individual “Chapters” as audiobooks too. Therefore there are hundreds under this. I have no idea what “tag” this would be that controls this field. But to get to it on the player one punches: MUSIC,Audiobooks: then one sees the big mess.

After audiobooks one has:

Recordings:0

Folders:

>Internal Memory:

>Audiobooks:33

>Music:10

External Memory:

>Music:->AudioBooks:45

Why “it” puts Music,then audiobooks on external memory, I don’t know. I actually have 72 folders there. 

Could it be seeing Music, then Audiobooks under music and counting them as “music”?

Every time I have formatted the external memory it puts a directory tree of MUSIC:->AudioBOOKS,

rather than

AUDIOBOOKS:->

Music:->

as topmost to the trees.

(2)On other program utilities:

One of my problems with other programs(like MP3Tag) is that I don’t know what values are supposed to go into the fields to make them “Proper” for sandisk . I have so many that are improperly tagged that I don’t have a guide to use as to a “standard” for audiobooks…particularly since I’m using public domain audiobooks from various sources exclusively. Some of the books are tagless except for filename!!:cry: 

"Some of the books are tagless except for filename!! "

Of course. Those are showing up as separate entries when you navigate on the player to the audiobooks submenu. If the file has tags bug the album tag is missing then it will be listed under unknown. You don’t need to tag them with the correct information. They just need to be tagged consistantly, with all the files in the same book having exactly the same album tag, and the files having track numbers to put them in the correct order(which include leading zeros, ie. 001, 002, etc., or perhaps just starting at track 101 if there are less than 900 tracks per book. The tag format needs to be ID3v2.3 ISO 8859-1. In MP3Tag this is selected under tools, options.

Well, I’ve edited 3 of the worst sets and ended up with 2 more see-able folders, so genre field and others are important. Whether I can load the entire chip and see it is still to be seen. Looks like I’ll have to do all of them in order to make sure. What a pain. UNKNOWN is the main problem it seems.

Thank You!!

When I got my first DAP, I adopted the habit of tagging/editing the tags of each file/CD I downloaded or ripped, as soon as I downloaded or ripped.  A good habit, it seems to me, and that way it only takes a little bit of time at a time, rather than, potentially, hours or days …

@miikerman wrote:

When I got my first DAP, I adopted the habit of tagging/editing the tags of each file/CD I downloaded or ripped, as soon as I downloaded or ripped.   A good habit, it seems to me, and that way it only takes a little bit of time at a time, rather than, potentially, hours or days …

I do this too, as well as downloading and adding the album art and running the files through MP3Gain to normalize the volume levels. A couple extra steps yes, but doesn’t take that long once you get into the habit.

Of course, when you already have maybe hundreds that aren’t tagged properly, this can seem like a daunting task. I was in this situation too at one time, as well as having a mix of .wma and .mp3 files. I went through and re-ripped a lot of the CD’s I had originally ripped in .wma format to .mp3. I had some artists that some albums were ripped in .wma and some in .mp3. While this isn’t a huge problem as the Sansa players will play both, it will also display the Artist twice in the database (once for each type of ID3 tag), something I didn’t really want.

Bottom line . . . if you have a large job stariing you in the face, break it down into smaller ‘bites’, and just set your mind to do a little at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be done. And glad you invested the time to do it.

I was wondering about a way to increase the volume uniformly? Thanks!! MP3Gain should do the trick. Many oold radio shows are barely there, so to speak. Or have Pops and Crackles, whizzes,squeeles,…

@tapeworm wrote:

Bottom line . . . if you have a large job stariing you in the face, break it down into smaller ‘bites’, and just set your mind to do a little at a time. Before you know it, you’ll be done. And glad you invested the time to do it.

We proceed similarly–I fogot about MP3Gain, which I routinely use as well.

When I first got a DAP, I had a deskjob and would bring in a box of CDs to rip/tag throughout the day–easy to do.  I ended up ripping for about 2 weeks …  Also easy enough for TV time.

Oddly, I don’t possess ONE CD, Record, or tape. So I don’t rip. I either stream, podcast, or Download my audiobooks. I have maybe a half dozen songs only because I get a free coupon whenever I buy audio stuff from Amazon… I’m kind of deaf, you see. America’s past wars have taken a toll on my hearing. Artillery and forgetting/not having hearing protection! Certain frequencies are simply not there to me. (Something that every loud music listener should understand WILL happen to them later in life and it doesn’t have to be that LOUD). It makes music sound very strange and almost unrecognizable. Really takes the enjoyment out.

However, with equalization and amplification, I can still hear ‘most’ voices. Low, both volume and range, female voices  and very fast speech are still a problem. It seems that the brain tries to fill in what it thinks “it” heard, particularly with fast speech. <That’s why, when you talk to an old person or someone with hearing loss, that they  are always saying HUH? What? Repeat that please. It’s not that they didn’t hear ‘something’, its usually that what they heard wasn’t recognizable.>  Plus the older you get the worse it gets, a real pain.

Anyway, utilities that modify range, amplification, speed,…, are very important to me for the above reasons.

As to TV, I don’t watch it! Too many ads. A 1 hour TV program in the 50’s and early 60’s was 53 minutes, without ads. Today, an hour program is 40 minutes!! IMHO, not long enough for plot development, character development or even good acting!!! As a comparison, if you like, rent an old Hawaii 5 0, vs. Today’s version. That’s why all the shows on TV today are soapy, that is, continued plot. No one episode is long enough to really have anything meaningful ‘conclude’. And anything that is seen is accelerated beyond good sense. I haven’t got the time to watch a Soapy show that continues and continues…

Realize that Gunsmoke’s half hour radio programs of the 50’s(28 minutes) are almost as long as today’s 1 hour TV programs!!

Take 2 seasons of 24, take out the ads and the annoying quad penal, Watch it, and you’ll experience a form of PTSD!! Good show, overall, but way too fast.

I’ll get off my soap box now. Sorry, the word TV seems to set me off.

Library DVDs are a great way to avoid commercials (and a great deal, besides–I don’t bother with DVD rentals anymore, typically).  And avoiding commercials is one of the best benefits of TiVo or another DVR (albeit, at a cost).

I have and use a DVR, but it won’t help with the lengths of the shows being so short. I agree about the rest. I got the Hawaii 5 0 DVD’s at the Library and others like RawHide, etc. Soon I hear that we will be able to bring our thumb drives and just fill it up with expirables???

With my TiVo, I use the infamous “30-second hack” and skip over the commercial breaks with a handful of key-presses.   :slight_smile:

Tivo wise, I haven’t the time for all that finger punching.

Well, I’ve cleaned up everything on the player.  NO SOLUTION. So my Subject statement stands. Unless the OS is modified to solve the size/quantity problems for 32 gb microSD cards, I see no sense at all in buying one for this devise. The player simply will not SEE all the files and folders, period. I’ve only tried this with audiobooks, not songs. But here I was told that there is an 8000 song limit. Miniscule considering 32gb capacities. I’m about to delete all those not seen, to see exactly how much of the drive is actually used. However, I don’t and probably won’t ever know what specifically is the cause. You see, for instance, I have the 6 volume “Decline and Fall of the Roman empire”, while someone else might have 9 short mystery novels, I don’t know what the key factors are, like: Number of chapters, size of individual files, Number of books,… Where it is actually dying and stopping the “cataloging” of the other books.

Further, it is better to get a 16 gb class 6 or class 10 for speed of transfer considerations!! Just This has taken forever!! A class 6 or 10 would do the job much quicker.

TTFN

If you don’t want that card, you could send it my way…I know my Clip+ can handle a card that size. Between Rockbox, which eliminates those pesky file limitations, and the fact that my “lossy” library is currently at 12,240 songs, 89.5GB… my 16GB cards really don’t cut it…lol. :wink: