2GB Clip not recognized in my computer.

After I completed a montly hardrive defrag and then ran the disk cleaner where I got rid of temp files, my 2gb Clip is not recognized in my Windows XP SP3 PC.

I’m assuming I may have deleted something in a temp file, but how do I solve this now?

I did connect it in MSC mode, but for some reason all the folders are empty; the Clip is not----there are plenty of audio files on it.

I also tried using the Control Panel to Add Hardware, but that didn’t work either.  I ended up getting something like a ‘Code 10’ error message.

How about if I reload the firmware onto the player? Will that work or will I brick it?

Were you always in MSC mode? or did you just switch it in order to connect?

No, I had the Clip set on Auto Detect.   An icon of the Clip also used to show up in the toolbar; even when I mount it, it won’t charge.  The only way I got it to charge was by using an old Motorola phone AC charger with a mini USB connector.

@jimmy1 wrote:
No, I had the Clip set on Auto Detect.   An icon of the Clip also used to show up in the toolbar; even when I mount it, it won’t charge.  The only way I got it to charge was by using an old Motorola phone AC charger with a mini USB connector.

that why you can’t see the music then. Auto-detect usually defaults to MTP, which is why you won’t see the stuff in you’re now in MSC. There is probably a way to restore the MTP drivers, but that’s above my head as I’ve never used MTP. As far as the charger though…you’re better off charging with that charger than using the computer. It will save your Clip’s screen. I only connect to the computer when I need to add or remove stuff . 

One workaround would be to format your Clip and re-load everything in MSC mode and staying that way, if you can’t find out how to repair the MTP drivers.

Thanks.  I’m still puzzled as to why I can’t see the content, even in MSC folder mode in my clip, when it’ still on there.  I could pick it up and listen to a podcast and a Foo Fighters album, for example.  But, as I’m doing right now, when I connect in MSC mode, the drive letter shows up, I open the ‘MUSIC’ folder and…nothing.  It’s blank.

@jimmy1 wrote:
Thanks.  I’m still puzzled as to why I can’t see the content, even in MSC folder mode in my clip, when it’ still on there.  I could pick it up and listen to a podcast and a Foo Fighters album, for example.  But, as I’m doing right now, when I connect in MSC mode, the drive letter shows up, I open the ‘MUSIC’ folder and…nothing.  It’s blank.

That’s because in autodetect mode, which you originally added all the stuff with, it was MTP. Whatever is visible in MTP will not be in MSC, and vice-versa. A little confusing, yeah, but that’s why.