SanDisk Guru

Tweakers Speakers

[ Edited ]

I am trying out a new toy, the Tweakers collapsible speakers from Grandmax.  They are a handy portable pair of cans that come with their own soft case, and retractable cables.

A few months ago, I spied something similar, in white, and I wrote them off as another iPod compatible gizmo...until my wife and I found them at the local Office Depot.

And what colors are they?  In Sansa Clip colors, naturally!  Red, Blue, and Black- and the colors are very nice indeed.  They don't need batteries, they sport a rechargeable battery in one of the two units, and Mini-B interconnect in between the pair; charging is done via a full-size USB adaptor.

I mention them because nice dedicated speakers that work with the Sansa are a difficult find in a world overpopulated with iPod compatibles. They aren't intended for loud playback, but they do sound nice indeed.  The speakers pop up like mushroom heads, increasing the bass and sound quality a bit.

I've been bit by the loudspeaker bug as of late.

Next test subject, the revised MP3 Orbit single speaker from Altec Lansing.  There are two versions, one with a chrome bezel, and one with a solid outer casing and included carry-case.  Those of you with the iM413 can attest to Altec's quality.

Orbit MP3:

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Update: When charging, the light is RED on the Tweaker.  As soon as charging is complete, it turns a cool blue.  The light goes red again when the battery is low.  I fell asleep listening to them.  They've been in use all day, save a five hour break.  They're still on at 10:18pm, still blue on the status light.  An ideal companion to the Clip, as power lasts a LONG time evidently.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-16-2009 10:22 PM
SanDisk User

Re: Tweakers Speakers

Any updates yet Bob?
8GB Black Fuze 8GB sdhc
,BSE, PK3s
SanDisk Guru

I am awaiting some Altec Lansings to experiment with.  I like the two Sansa docks, the iM413 and its little brother, the portable iM510.  Looking for a handy portable speaker for the Fuze / e200, or the wee Clip, devices that operate via the headphone jack are the target.

My daughters like to listen to music while doing their school work, so the company of a wee speaker is nice.

I have tried the Tweakers in a moderate to high noise environment, and they are surprising.  I am anxious to hear how the Orbit sounds.  This is the iM237 model, not the chrome-bezeled version, mind you- I like the carrying case and more robust looking design shown above.

I notice that the little "mushrooms", as my daughter calls them, aren't displaying tonight.

I'm going to try driving these speakers with the Fiio headphone amplifier too, as ramping up the signal a wee bit will be nice.  I'm interested in how they will do.  Oh, I see that Fiio has a teeny speaker as well, looks like a pocket radio.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk Professor

Thanks for the information on the speakers.  I have a cheap set of Fashion Speakers from walmart and they work fine for personal, close up listening (well they're pretty loud, but not hudge), but I am looking for other speakers to have better quality and maybe a little louder. 
SanDisk Guru

@Dalaug234 wrote:
Thanks for the information on the speakers.  I have a cheap set of Fashion Speakers from walmart and they work fine for personal, close up listening (well they're pretty loud, but not hudge), but I am looking for other speakers to have better quality and maybe a little louder. 

I actually use my desktop computer speakers. I've had the patch cord I bought to connect my Fuze to the home stereo plugged directly into the computer for a while now, so I wasn't using the old 'puter speakers at all. So now, down in the workout room, I have those speakers set up. I use headphones with my Clip if I'm walking or running on the treadmill(which is kinda loud) but when it comes to weight work, I'd just as soon not have cables dangling about me, so those old Labtec CS-800's plugged into the Clip work great!

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

Oh yes, the wee FiiO E5 gives me Spinal Tap mode!  I can turn it up to "11" now.  The Tweakers sound great in the workshop, and I can run "cordless", meaning no power cables atop my tool box.

The FiiO sounds best set "flat", ensuring that I'm not sending too much bass to the small speakers.

The bass setting sounds great on the big headphones.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk Guru

@neutron_bob wrote:

Oh yes, the wee FiiO E5 gives me Spinal Tap mode!  I can turn it up to "11" now.  The Tweakers sound great in the workshop, and I can run "cordless", meaning no power cables atop my tool box.

The FiiO sounds best set "flat", ensuring that I'm not sending too much bass to the small speakers.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

I suspected that you'd need to use the flat mode for the little "shrooms"....glad to hear it's working well Smiley Happy

2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

@neutron_bob wrote:

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

I'd like to try this thing with my headphones.....might be too much for your "shroom" speakers, but dang, it looks sweetSmiley Happy

SanDisk Fanatic

What is that?

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

SanDisk Guru

@saxmaster765 wrote:
What is that?

That is a hybrid (solid-state and Tube)dedicated headphone amplifier.