Reply
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,301
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Problems with SD memory card


@sassofrass73 wrote:
Is there any way I can do it without a card reader because I don't have one, and I don't have the money for one right now? I have been editing my files ID3 tags in the comment areas after reading some other posts, I had a suspicion that a file was causing the issue.

 

Card readers are very reasonably priced now (only a couple of bucks), but there's a thread around here somewhere about formatting the card in the player. Let me see if I can find it . . .

 

Ahhh . . . here it is. It's even titled "How To Format A Memory Card". From only a week ago. Imagine that. :smileywink:

 

Hope it helps.

Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-25-2009

Re: Problems with SD memory card

Ok I will try that. I probably should have looked formatting, lol. But I have yet another question (I feel like a moron), How can I tell what drive it is? When I go into my computer it just has the MP3 players name, I tried looking under properties but I couldn't find it there. I have a C,D, and E drive so I am guessing that would make the internal memory F and the external memory G? I wanna make sure I don't kill my computer I just rebuilt it.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Problems with SD memory card

[ Edited ]

@sassofrass73 wrote:

Ok I will try that. I probably should have looked formatting, lol. But I have yet another question (I feel like a moron), How can I tell what drive it is? When I go into my computer it just has the MP3 players name, I tried looking under properties but I couldn't find it there. I have a C,D, and E drive so I am guessing that would make the internal memory F and the external memory G? I wanna make sure I don't kill my computer I just rebuilt it.


Switch your player to MSC mode before you format the card. This will split it out. So you will see Sansa Player (F) and then another drive as (g)

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-27-2009 09:10 PM

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-25-2009

Re: Problems with SD memory card

I tried to format it but I kept getting an error message saying that the drive was not there. I used G for my external because that is what it was, but when I went into my computer it showed my Sansa and had F next to it, then there was a G drive but there was nothing under properties for it and when I clicked on it it said I had to put something into the drive first. I am starting to think that my card is dead Smiley Sad
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,301
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Problems with SD memory card

As CB said, you have to switch the player to MSC mode before you attempt to format it. Your computer will assign drive letters to both the player and the card. Don't just assume what the drive letters will be.

 

If you're positive your player is in MSC mode (and not AUTO or MTP) and your computer is not recognizing the card in the slot (error msg about not being able to read the drive or insert disc in drive, etc.), then yes maybe you have a dud card, or there's a hardware problem within the player itself.

 

Did you try running ChkDsk to look for & fix any file errors as I suggested earlier? You can also narrow down where the problem lies by using a card reader (also suggested earlier). If you can view, access, add & delete files with the card in a reader then obviously the card is OK. This then points the finger more aggressively towards the player with the malfunction.

Newbie
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-25-2009

Re: Problems with SD memory card

I tried the ChDsk but it told me that I had insufficent rights on the internal, and it didn't do anything with the externl, I would click start after checking boxes  (I also tried checking only one box or checking no boxes) and it wouldn't do anything. I am positive I was MSC mode with that and with formatting. I guess I will get a card reader because that seems to be the only option left, I would get a new card but it won't do crap if the player is screwed up.
Newbie
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-04-2009

Re: Problems with SD memory card

[ Edited ]

I'm also having a problem with my microsd card.  When I went to use it earlier, the songs that were on it didn't show up on my player.  When I put it in my computer to see if something was wrong with it, not only did my songs not show up, it said that I had to reformat, which I (painfully) did. Smiley Sad I was forced to reupload all my songs that were on it. 

 

If THAT'S not enough, now when I go to put the card in my player, it freezes on the 'Refresh Database' screen about halfway.  No matter how many times I turn the player on and off, it keeps freezing (my model is a c240 player).  The songs on the player itself play fine.  Smiley Mad  The Firmware updater is completely useless, as I've been trying to get updates from it for the two months that I've had this player, and all I've gotten is the g*******d user manual.

 

Did the card just decide to roll over and die on me, or did I do something wrong to it?  It's a fairly new card, only about two months old.  I hardly ever upload any songs onto it, maybe about one or two in two weeks.  Any help would be GREAT.

Message Edited by takrluvr on 05-28-2009 10:26 PM
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 3,676
Registered: ‎12-04-2008

Re: Problems with SD memory card


@takrluvr wrote:

 

I'm also having a problem with my microsd card.  When I went to use it earlier, the songs that were on it didn't show up on my player.  When I put it in my computer to see if something was wrong with it, not only did my songs not show up, it said that I had to reformat, which I (painfully) did. Smiley Sad I was forced to reupload all my songs that were on it. 

 

If THAT'S not enough, now when I go to put the card in my player, it freezes on the 'Refresh Database' screen about halfway.  No matter how many times I turn the player on and off, it keeps freezing (my model is a c240 player).  The songs on the player itself play fine.  Smiley Mad  The Firmware updater is completely useless, as I've been trying to get updates from it for the two months that I've had this player, and all I've gotten is the g*******d user manual.

 

Did the card just decide to roll over and die on me, or did I do something wrong to it?  It's a fairly new card, only about two months old.  I hardly ever upload any songs onto it, maybe about one or two in two weeks.  Any help would be GREAT.

Message Edited by takrluvr on 05-28-2009 10:26 PM
 

 
Piece by Piece...
 Your freezing issue could be caused by one of 2 things, either you have a corrupted file on the card or your tags are in disrepair and the player cant read them. The easiest thing to do is to check the tags. Download mp3tag, and go through your songs and make sure there aren't any special characters (Anything thats not a letter), or non supported languages. If you do this and it still freezes, then run the Chkdsk utility on the card to check for corruption.
 
On the firmware update thing... Do a manual update. The instructions are on the firmware update thread in your players specific forum 

 


Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

Newbie
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-16-2009

Re: Problems with SD memory card

How do u put music on ur memory? for me nothing pops up or nothing is in my computer

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,301
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Problems with SD memory card


@ninthu_11 wrote:

How do u put music on ur memory? for me nothing pops up or nothing is in my computer


 

Have u red the manual or FAQ?