Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Listening in the car

Tapeworm wrote:

neutron_bob wrote:

The latest Volkswagen OEM radios have some cool teatures.

But not as cool as these . . .

Smiley Very Happy

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted

I would have guessed that more folks had more "built up" sound systems in their cars.

The stereo I added to my car does NOT have an "Aux In", but it does have line out, and that is connected to an amplifier and speakers in the trunk.

Since I really only listen to the Sansa anymore, I just unplugged the line leads heading towards the trunk and connect them directly to the headphone jack. I use the Sansa volume as the main volume control. The dash unit is still connected to the front speakers, but I doubt I'll ever turn it on.

That will do for now, anyway.

Adding an Amplifier, subwoofer, and a new pair of speakers to the back of an older car is a simple way to get a BIG sound upgrade, and it can be done almost completely from the trunk. With the trunk closed, there is no way to tell that anything has been changed at all, but the sound difference is HUGE.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

lylehaze wrote:

The stereo I added to my car does NOT have an "Aux In", but it does have line out, and that is connected to an amplifier and speakers in the trunk.

Adding an Amplifier, subwoofer, and a new pair of speakers to the back of an older car is a simple way to get a BIG sound upgrade, and it can be done almost completely from the trunk. With the trunk closed, there is no way to tell that anything has been changed at all, but the sound difference is HUGE.

Yeah, I've heard (and felt) you half a block away when I'm sitting at a traffic light. If it's shaking the fillings in my teeth loose at that distance, just imagine what it's doing to your hearing only 2-4 feet away from the speakers.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Years ago, we set up a Saab with Soundstream gear, everything hidden in a false bodywork.  I did the same thing years later in a little VW Rabbit Custom, with the amplifier nestled in a new body panel.  I calculated that with about 1.3 cu. ft. of sealed enclosure, that's all the subwoofer you'd ever need, for a clean sound.

Rattling the license plate is, well, so ghetto.  The little guys are hard to find these days, but a small EQ module with an AUX IN jack is wonderful, as you can switch between the front radio head unit and a portable device with ease, and thieves don't see anything enticing on the dashboard.

I strongly prefer factory-installed looking radios, very plain and simple, as thieves look for the "bling".  When driving, it's desirable to have equipment that can be operated by feel.  These popular flip-up monster navigation / rear view camera / DVD / pachinko machines might be OK for use in an RV, but I have my reservations about installing them in your average "daily driver".

Bob  Smiley Wink

Highlighted

OK, I guess I had that coming.

Just because my car is capable of "Extreme Bass" doesn't mean I run it that way.

My trunk looks similar to that one, except that I have a single, forward facing subwoofer.

Just one amp, and no "Super Capacitors" or gold plated anything.

Oh, and I still have room in my trunk for tools and groceries.

So far, the new stereo in the dash was the ONLY visual clue that things had changed. Now

that I'm running the Fuze, I'm planning on swapping the original stereo back into place.

Work is proceeding well on my car-LOD cable that will turn the Fuze off with the key. I have it

working on the bench, I just need to clean up a few details and package it for the car.

I hope to announce that in a few more weeks.Smiley Happy

LyleHaze