I need firmware that is going to WORK

Most of these posts are so old and with technology being as it is...always changing, I am not finding a way to solve my problem. I have the Sansa 8.0 vs1 e280. I have downloaded the firmware suggested for this particular devise. The software I have downloaded is the Sansa Updater 1.211. I have no idea if it is the most recent or the firmware that works with my device. All I do know it that my device in two years has never been updated. Perhaps it doesn't need updating. It isn't working correctly though. I can no longer down load audio books in WMA format. I used to be able to all the time. I was hoping updating the firmware would fix this issue.

When I prompt my Sansa Updater there is a message in grey that states "No sansa product has been recognized". This is with my player plugged into the computer. Under this message is another one in orange that say "Plug in my device and wait for more instructions". My device is plugged in. Why is it not being read?

Please HELP!!!

SanDisk Guru

Re: No, You don't. You need to read & follow directions!

[ Edited ]

You haven't done anything with this for the last 6 months since your last post asking the same thing? You were given the answers then on where to find the correct firmware and other suggestions but you never replied saying "Thank You", "I don't understand", "I still have problems" or even "Kiss me where the sun don't shine!"

If you're going to beg for help ( "Please HELP!!!" ) the least you could do is acknowledge when that help is given and follow the suggestions. We don't mind helping out someone, in fact that's why we're here, but when it falls on deaf ears or the person wanting help is too plain lazy or stubborn to help themselves by heeding the instructions given to them then it's a huge waste of everyone's time!

Speaking of wasting time, I for one am outta here. I've got better things to do.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 08-06-2010 07:26 AM
Message Edited by Tapeworm on 08-06-2010 01:13 PM

Re: No, You don't. You need to read & follow directions!

Dang...you are one rude person. Do you actually get paid to be as rude as you are being to me? Not only are you judging me, but you are calling me names like lazy, stubborn, a person with deaf ears.... First of all...who are you to imply that I didn't attempt finding a resolution previously. I did...It didn't work, which is why I am contacting you AGAIN....

The instructions posted below are complicated and not at all user friendly. They are not a quick solution...

"Go to the first page  of the Sansa E200 forum and look at the threads in a darker color, also known as the stickies, and look very very carefully and see if you can find the one that is very cleverly hidden right near the top. Hint: It says firmware download and instructions. 

What's on the back of your unit doesn't matter. What matters is what's inside. Look at Info/Firmware Version. There's a sticky to explain that, too"

What the heck is a sticky????

I don't have a clue how to get to this page let alone how to follow these instructions. Generally speaking, the people who are submitting a question are looking for a quick solution, one that can be followed step by step. Most people are busy...they work for a life usually 40+ hours...raise a family...run a household...etc....etc....etc. You know nothing about me. You don't know my situation or my knowledge base on how to navigate through this ridiculous not user friendly method offered in finding a solution.

I have never, and I mean never owned a piece of equipment where the company insists on a forum set-up making the customer look for answers, rather than simply supply them. Even if that means supplying them again. Most companies are the opposite. Whether the question is a first time or the same one for the thousandth time, they actually provide the answer. Seriously...how hard is it to actually provide the step by step again? It probably takes less time, certainly will require less back and forth communication and will not cause a customer to walk from this company and never purchase a Sansa product again. What do you people value more...playing forum games or actually providing a solution to the problem that is acceptable and easy for the reader to understand?

Please tell me exactly what you are referring to when you say go back to the first page. Is there a link or something? I am NOT one of these people who finds it easy to understand and navigate through this system. It is not easy...it is not user friendly on any level. You have to be somewhat of an expert to figure out the hidden steps involved in getting to the answer, which like I said could be eliminated totally if you guys would simply just post the step by step answers again. Who has time for this? I know I don't. Quick and simple...this is what I need.

BTW...don't assume I have done nothing in 6 months. This is not true. I have read countless postings to attempt resolving this issue and I have downloaded the firmware. The firmware I downloaded which stated it was for my model and version is NOT WORKING...Thus...the reason for my second post. You are assuming I have done nothing, and you are placing judgment. My heavens....how unprofessional. It really can't get any worse. Rather than help keep the peace...you stir the pot, by angering the customer. Who does that?

This time HELP me without sarcastic judgmental criticism.  

SanDisk Guru

Re: I need firmware that is going to WORK

Alright, calm down . . .

chambersix wrote:
First of all...who are you to imply that I didn't attempt finding a resolution previously. I did...It didn't work, which is why I am contacting you AGAIN....

And just how were we to know this?

Did you post back after trying and tell us you were still having problems? No.

Can anybody here read your mind? No.

Now, 6 months later you post again. Did you say in this post that you had tried and it didn't work? No.

Do you understand my reaction now?

chambersix wrote:

The instructions posted below are complicated and not at all user friendly. They are not a quick solution...

"Go to the first page  of the Sansa E200 forum and look at the threads in a darker color, also known as the stickies, and look very very carefully and see if you can find the one that is very cleverly hidden right near the top. Hint: It says firmware download and instructions. 

What's on the back of your unit doesn't matter. What matters is what's inside. Look at Info/Firmware Version. There's a sticky to explain that, too"

What the heck is a sticky????

I don't have a clue how to get to this page let alone how to follow these instructions.

Did you miss the part I highlighted in red?

When you first log in to the forum and click on the words Sansa e200 series, that is the first page of the Sansa e200 forum C1u was referring to in his instructions. You'll notice I've linked it for you.

Now at the top of that page, you'll see 7 Subject titles (of threads) that are shaded a darker color. These are what are referred to as 'stickies', meaning they are 'stuck' there and do not move. They are always at the top of the 1st page so as to make it bery easy to find because they are very useful information, links to the User's Guide (manual), firmware updates, etc. This saves everyone time not having to hunt or search them out.

These are 1st posts every new member should read, or for that matter anyone coming to this forum looking for help; you don't have to be a member to access them. Another reason for them being at the very top of the 1st page.

chambersix wrote:

Most people are busy...they work for a life usually 40+ hours...raise a family...run a household...etc....etc....etc.

So are we. You're not the only one. So yeah, when it looks like the time we've taken to help someone has been in vain or wasted we sometimes get a little testy.

chambersix wrote:

I have never, and I mean never owned a piece of equipment where the company insists on a forum set-up making the customer look for answers, rather than simply supply them. Even if that means supplying them again. Most companies are the opposite. Whether the question is a first time or the same one for the thousandth time, they actually provide the answer. Seriously...how hard is it to actually provide the step by step again?

Have you tried the SanDisk Knowledge Base? No forum necessary. But the forum is here for those questions that aren't answered there. You also have to realize the player you have is extremely old (3-4 years) and Sandisk provides very limited support for it anymore. So people come here for help. This is a User's forum. Sponsored by SanDisk, but no we are not Sandisk employees; the vast majority of people here are simply Sansa mp3 player owners, just like you helping each other out by sharing information, tips, etc.

Hopefully this reply will answer your questions without "sarcastic judgmental criticism".

Btw, don't bother with the Sansa Updater. There won't be any further updates, so you won't need it. Just follow the manual install directions in the firmware update post. You should definitely update, but I still say it's not likely to solve your original problem.

SanDisk Guru

If that doesn't do it for you (some people just need to speak with someone 1-on-1), why not try telephoning SanDisk Customer Support, and they can walk you though the sitation live.

In the U.S.:  1-866-SANDISK (726-3475).  And other SanDisk contact information:  http://www.sandisk.com/sandisk-support/contact-us. 

You stated: 

And just how were we to know this?

Exactly....you don't know, which is why you should never judge or assume.

You stated: 

Did you post back after trying and tell us you were still having problems? No.

Would you like to know why I never reposted? Again, not necessary to reveal this information as it has nothing to do with the issue at hand, but you asked, so here it is. I never reposted because I changed my email carrier. I forgot my password, which I realize is not your fault, but with the incorrect email on file, I could not request my password. So I had to keep trying different passwords under my old email address until it finally worked. This all happened last night. Then, I was able to update my email and note the current password, which is now written down in a safe spot.

You stated: 

Can anybody here read your mind? No.

Again...the unprofessional uncalled for sarcasm.

You stated: 

Now, 6 months later you post again. Did you say in this post that you had tried and it didn't work? No.

Do you understand my reaction now?  I will never understand a reaction similar to the one I received last night. There was absolutely no reason for it. A professional should NEVER react. This is a form of bad customer service. A professional should always attempt to resolve, leaving name calling, sarcasm, and attitude out of it. RESOLVE...not REACT.

You stated: 

Did you miss the part I highlighted in red? Now you are being patronizing. I might not understand why or how this forum works, but I am not totally ignorant. Yes...I did click on the red, and what I found was that it was the exact same download I previously installed on my computer which DID NOT WORK...Thus the reason for another point of contact 6 months later.

chambersix wrote:

Most people are busy...they work for a life usually 40+ hours...raise a family...run a household...etc....etc....etc.

You stated: 

So are we. You're not the only one. So yeah, when it looks like the time we've taken to help someone has been in vain or wasted we sometimes get a little testy. The 40 hours you are working though pertains to this job. My 40+ hours per week does not pertain to finding my own resolution to a problem in your company. You are the paid professional to help me and everyone else who comes to you for help. I am not paid to find an answer or do your job. You should never be testy with anyone, especially someone you know nothing about. I have taken nothing in vain. My gratitude will come when some of the issues I have voiced actually come to fruition. The most amazing thing is this...had you treated me more with respect, dropping the sarcasm, name calling and attitude, my reaction would have been totally different. I am not the one in the WRONG here. You are. You are the paid professional. If anything, I deserve an apology. 

I guess after all of this being stated...you all are still missing my point. Why can't it be made simple for the person making the inquiry? Why all the games by sending each person on some sort of scavenger hunt where reading countless entries in an attempt to find an answer is necessary? There is no reason why a simple answer cannot simply be reiterated in a new post. This system is archaic. I will attempt one more time to summons a resolution on my own. This is apparently what is necessary to gain any resolution. It isn't right...bad practice, horrible customer service,  but I'll do it.

Have a good night. Smiley Happy 

SanDisk Guru

Hey, chambersix, there might be a misperception here, but as far as I am aware, Tapeworm isn't employed by SanDisk.  Rather, he's just an ordinary user like you and me and posts here to, believe it or not, try to help others.   :smileywink:   (SanDisk and the forum attaches the "Guru" name to a poster just based on number of posts, as far as I am aware.) 

At times, it can be a bit difficult (and time-consuming) to try to help someone out in writing (especiually if your typing skills are like mine ...), depending on the issue and what is needed.  Also, I don't know if you're like me, but sometimes I get in a rut and can't, for some odd reason, see a solution that is sitting right in front of me--there has to be a psychological/brain function explanation for it.

Again, and so you can get on the right track and enjoying your music again (6 months without your music--egads!), you might want to give SanDisk a call.  It's a free call and the help is free as well--

By the way, I sympathize with you as to getting solutions in one place, easily.  It used to be done in product manuals, but they seem to be going by the wayside, perhaps due to the expense.  It's sad, though.  On the positive side, this forum really can be helpful, and has helped me out greatly in the past, especially when I first bought my player and it was new.  And SanDisk makes live and free assistance only a free call away (as distinct from a software backup program I recently got from another company, which charges for calls after only 30 days!). 

Good luck, and have a good eve--

Highlighted

Thank you Miikerman for the phone number. I may just call it sometime early next week. My days are limited and my one day off from work is now coming to an end. I did follow the links and directions in the response provided by Tapeworm and it still did not work correctly. Followed the directions step by step. Have a good weekend. Smiley Happy

Is that who I am hearing from..ordinary users who think they are being of help? WOW!!! That certainly explains a lot. Truthfully, I am totally surprised Sansa doesn't put a lid on someone like Tapeworm. He/she has no business being in this forum, and is actually causing more harm than good. Certainly the replies are hurting the Sansa name, which in turn is going to put a crimp in future purchases. I will call the Sansa number you provided, now that I know I will not be speaking to Tapeworm or a person like him. I am sure I will receive the utmost professionalism. Thanks again. Thanks for understanding my frustration. Now that I know how this thread works, I will most definitely be a bit more understanding knowing that I could very well be dealing with a society reject. Blessings and have a good night. Smiley Happy
SanDisk Guru

chambersix wrote:
Now that I know how this thread works, I will most definitely be a bit more understanding knowing that I could very well be dealing with a society reject.

Thanks for giving me a big chuckle!  But, I don't know that I would go that far ...   Smiley Wink

Some SanDisk personnel post in this forum.  But mostly, it's "just" other users.  Having said that, sometimes the advice you get here can be more helpful than from SanDisk Customer Support (with all due apologies and no offense intended)--it all depends on whom you're dealing with, like so much in life. 

And believe it or not, Tapeworm actually does provide good advice--things just got off on the wrong foot, perhaps (an Internet regularity, without verbal and facial cues).  Happens to the best of us all.  As my 7th grade math teacher used to say, "You kids get all squirrelly when it's raining outside!"