8gb Micro SD adaptor [help]

[ Edited ]

I just bought the 8gbmicro sd card && it came with the adaptor . i have a card reader && it works with ever other sd card i have used with it. But for some reason my computer is not reading the micro sd card. I tried it on a xp && mac && it still is not reading the card. The green light comes on saying it`s connecting but nothing happens. Could someone please helpme.

The computer i am currently using is an acer aspire 5315

with windows vista basic

Message Edited by niina123 on 11-21-2009 04:17 PM
SanDisk Guru

Re: 8gb Micro SD adaptor [help]

Are you sure the micro card is inserted all the way into the adaptor and/or it's not in backwards?

I agree that the card may not be inserted all the way or you got a dfective card or reader - t happens.  Any Windows computer should recognize the microSD device.  It just a dumb piece of little equipment to the computer.  If the card reader isn't all the way in consider plugging the adapter USB cable at the back of the computer if it is a laptop as there is more power at the rear USP ports.

If nothing else works take it back as it is probably dead (the adapter or card)

SanDisk Guru

Another possibility . . . if it's an older computer, it may pre-date the SDHC format. There's a free Windows update that allows it to recognize SDHC.

Have the same problem here, but w/5-yr-old computer. Cisnet w-1GB RAM, hooked up (finally) to DSL just last month.

Anywaaay, got a phone replacing a 4+yo phone that wasn't working right, got a card for it (only made sense to get the 8GB, since the 4GB was not half the price, but 60% of the 8GB price), but now it will not let me read the microSD.

My computer has read 2-3 of them I've put in from a cpl of little cameras, so not sure why this one won't read ... unless (since the camera ones, I think, are 512MB & 1G) it just can't quite try to handle all 8GB at once?  Can't it just take a bit of info off it all at once, rather than being overwhelmed with 8GB, having just 1G RAM?  After all, some of the computer programs can nearly take up all that RAM, but it slows, doesn't come to a screeching halt.

Is this a RAM  problem ... or what?  Or, card problem ... or ???

Have seen a LOT of questions, but not so many answers.  Also, someone mentioned they got a "driver" for reading these micro cards inside adapters, instead of just regular SD cards, and that it worked. Well, I tried that driver & still doesn't work.  Smiley Surprised(   Smiley Surprised(   Smiley Surprised(

WHAT can I do!?  Smiley Surprised(  Thank you!

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

the issue here is that 8GB cards are SDHC cards not SD cards. SDHC cards are not backwards compatible with SD devices. You will need to purchase a new card reader that is compatible with SDHC cards. SanDisk sells several. all you need is SDHC cards then the SDDR-199 will probably work best. Also make sure your OS is at least Win 2K or higher as sandisk does not make any products compatible with Win 98 any longer.